Just occurred to me.. How to Support Mr. Toriyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

aircraftman3

Just occurred to me.. How to Support Mr. Toriyama

Post by aircraftman3 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:34 am

Hello Dear kanzenshuu fellow readers,

Only today it happened that an idea popped up in my head.

I've always been a Dragon Ball fan and there came a point where I read that it is Akira Toriyama who created the whole Dragon Ball.
This was quite a long time ago. Since then I have developed a real respect for Mr Toriyama.

Today it occurred to me how I could support him personally.

As we know when we age we don't think about charities or fundraisers or donations, we just soak with whatever comes to us. We are not at the stage of supporting yet, we are at the stage of taking. Downloading from the internet because you just don't have enough money to buy an original product, and even if you have that money you would find a hundred other, more important stuff to buy for that money. When you start earning your money you obviously have very little but then when year goes by year you start to think in a different perspective, precisely what can you do with your money to make someone else's live just a little bit less hard.
My first donation was maybe 5 years ago. It was probably like really less than a dollar. This was before I heard of sites that raise money, which is absolutely a great idea because when someone let's say sick is in need of a 200 000 dollars then obviously to find a person who would give this person $200 000 dollars is doable, but very hard. BUT, finding 200 000 people that would spend just one dollar, provided you spread the message to the larger audience, is really something that may and is happening.

About a year ago I stumbled across yet another e-mail from a Polish Dragon Ball portal which is producing a subtitles. BTW these subtitles are just SO great! I never thought that proper subtitles can make the show(Dragon Ball) so much better and more entertaining. I am talking about guys from www.grupa-mirai.pl . They translated nearly all of every existing Dragon Ball episode. The translation is so great because they translated from English but also from Japanese, that way the original context could remain almost intact. Additionally they gave the subs such a cool font that when I tried to watch with different subs I had a hard time enjoying the show. I encourage you to see for yourselves.

So.. I got an e-mail from them. Another. But this time I was really into watching their subs and thought.. why not just spend 7złoty a month for a subscription. These guys are doing amazing job and I really "take" from them much. And it's roughly $1.75 . I spent similar for Icloud every month.

Going back to supporting Akira.. As we were all or most of us kids back when Dragon Ball originally aired in TV for the first time(it happened in Poland around year 2000) we could only "take" and of course- Mr Toiyama is making money on Dragon Ball, on the merchandize, comic books, basically every Dragon Ball related official item. But to say Arigatou gizaimasu to him from the bottom of my heart, I'd like to create a fund raiser for people who think the same as me. I don't know his financial situation right now but I think every penny counts and without him we would live in a world without Dragon Ball...

What is left to arrange is to find a site which we could use and of course.... find a way to his bank account to transfer the money(which is the harder part). I know this site is gigantic and a lot of important people are here. So any of you happen to know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that knows Mr Toriyama? :)

If I can contribute to the making of Dragon Ball and say my personal THANK YOU to Mr Akira Toriyama for his creation I'd like to do that and a simple $1 would not kill me monthly but altogether would help Mr Toriyama a lot! Imagine even if a 100 people would think the same, would already be $100 a month more for him. And I'm pretty sure that there are more people that would be willing to do it....

So what 'ya think?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Just occurred to me.. How to Support Mr. Toriyama

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 am

I’m all for supporting creators, and especially directly/personally, but Akira Toriyama has been one of the richest people in Japan since Dr. Slump and is in all likelihood a tax evader; he is not hurting for your help.

Support the specific products you want to support by purchasing them legally. With something like Dragon Ball, that’s all you really “need” to do to satisfy your conscience (as well as the law, I guess).

Instead, consider seeking out independent creators that DO need your help!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am

Toriyama doesn't need any more money.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am

Toriyama and other rich people don't need your support. If you've got extra money to donate, you're better off doing so with causes that actually need it.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Better to support the people who made the various series as they were the ones to suffer for all those years. The reason many animators have to work multiple projects is that there isn't much money in it. Until recently, there was no Union for animators in Japan. This is unlike the U.S. and other places that have been unionized for years. Sad fact of the matter was a lot of people got ripped off in the Japanese entertainment business and only a very few people made massive amounts of money. But it's like that in many places around the world even today, so it's not just a Japanese thing...

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am Toriyama and other rich people don't need your support. If you've got extra money to donate, you're better off doing so with causes that actually need it.
Maybe we could find a way to start donations to the underpaid animators and whatnot.

But then the bosses would probably just take it. Hmm....
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:51 am

He started a patreon, www.patreon.com/akiratoriyama it's him, it's definitely legit, it's not me running a scam i swear.

:clap: GIVE :clap: YOUR :clap: MONEY :clap: TO :clap: TORIYAMA

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:59 am

TheBigBoy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:51 am He started a patreon, www.patreon.com/akiratoriyama it's him, it's definitely legit, it's not me running a scam i swear.

:clap: GIVE :clap: YOUR :clap: MONEY :clap: TO :clap: TORIYAMA
The link doesn't work for me, but if it's true then :wtf: :crazy: :o :shock:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:55 am

Bro, while I appreciate your enthusiasm for supporting Toriyama, gotta say Toriyama is close to 65 or 70 iirc.

He deserves all the money, popularity & glory. But tbh, even if you bring all those cash to Toriyama's doorstep knwin him being the low-profile mangaka that he was, pretty sure he'd refuse & ask you to spend those money in helping poor, needy citizens you encounter across the country

Rl is diff compared to fantasy bro. Trust me, I've had this dream to meet Toriyama, pour heaps of praises on the legend who made my childhood awesome & I have quite a numb of friends who share same interest. Guess what, he was recognized for his talent & flourished in it's glory.

You gotta realize to support Toriyama not only $$$ is needed. If you defend his work, NOT BLINDED by fanboyism and able to see past it's flaws that is by itself greatest gratitude you may show to Toriyama.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am

I can assure you that Akira Toriyama does not need our money lol
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler