People who have managed to have extremely low contact with the manga.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: People who have managed to have extremely low contact with the manga.

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 pm

Viz actually began “Dragon Ball” and “Dragon Ball Z” simultaneously in 1998. A floppy of each came out on a monthly schedule.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/1998/03/05/v ... h-release/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 pm Viz actually began “Dragon Ball” and “Dragon Ball Z” simultaneously in 1998. A floppy of each came out on a monthly schedule.

That is interesting and actually more weird... like releasing Hobbit and the Two Towers at the same time.
Thanks for the info.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 am

I also have barely touched the manga. The only manga arc I read was the Zamasu arc, because I wanted to see what potential differences it had with the anime arc. Frankly I vastly prefer anime over manga, whichever series it might be. The soundtrack plays a large role in this. A good soundtrack really helps me get immersed in the story. Voice acting is also very important, if I am listening to a character played by a great VA I can more easily understand that character and get invested in him. I would not get that same feeling of understanding/emotion if I were just reading what that character is saying on paper.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 pm Viz actually began “Dragon Ball” and “Dragon Ball Z” simultaneously in 1998. A floppy of each came out on a monthly schedule.

This reminds me of how effin' cool the advertisements in these issues were. Just gorgeous, full-page ads to see the home videos, using gorgeous art and color design. I really need to see about coloring those again when it's safe to walk into a Half-Price Books.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:08 pm

This reminds me of how effin' cool the advertisements in these issues were. Just gorgeous, full-page ads to see the home videos, using gorgeous art and color design. I really need to see about coloring those again when it's safe to walk into a Half-Price Books.
I miss the art from the 90s overall with Dragon Ball... For me, it ended with Kanzebans and Budokai 2 Japanese cover-art, then it went full bland Yamamuro style.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:40 pm

I've never read the manga all the way through. I've only read a few chapters of Dragon Ball and volume 1 of Super on paperback. But, once I became familiar with the "Vizisms" of the English release of the manga I swore it off altogether until we get a fully uncensored and relocalized release. It's why I refuse to buy any of the Z anime on home media until we get another Dragon Box style treatment. Media preservation matters a great deal to me.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:51 pm

I should probably get around to reading the original manga sometime. It's only ~500 chapters, after all.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:31 pm

It's the opposite for me, I think I never fully watched the DBZ anime.

After reading the original manga, I think I just can't stand the pacing compared to the source material (even ignoring the fillers). I can also feel more impact and be more immersed in the story with some scenes in the manga than in the anime, even with great animation. For the most part I only revisit some specific scenes due to the great soundtrack and animation.

I even barely watched most of the DBZ movies (I know the overall plot / most important events, but most of them I never sat down to fully watch, I just see some parts, my impression is really that most DBZ movies are kinda bland to be honest, specially plot-wise, but maybe some day I will stop to watch them).

I've always been more anime-oriented, but since I started to expose myself more to mangas, for the most part I almost always end up preferring it. I can only fully watch an anime when the anime is the first medium I have contact with.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 pm

I used to not care about the manga. I liked the art in the bits and pieces I saw. But one day after getting the Dragon Boxes, I felt my collection was complete and then I came across the manga. Decided to get it. And I love it. I would rather go through the manga than watch the anime at this point.

But yeah, I know a lot of people who never read the manga. It's usually the super casual fan. You know, the type that goes, "Oh, I love Dragon Ball Z! Yeah! Remember when Goku turned Super Saiyan against Frieza? Yeah, that was so cool!" That's the type of fan that hasn't read the manga.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:28 am Reading? That shit is for women!

I'm pretty sure I've read every chapter at least once. It'd be nice if Viz would release a new prestige edition with a new edit and translation by Julian.

Or someone who isn't Gerard Jones.
GIRL! I feel like a woman.

Nah. Actually too lazy to read, so anime for me. I'm a guy.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:31 pm

Oh hi necropost...
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:43 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:28 am Reading? That shit is for women!

I'm pretty sure I've read every chapter at least once. It'd be nice if Viz would release a new prestige edition with a new edit and translation by Julian.

Or someone who isn't Gerard Jones.
GIRL! I feel like a woman.

Nah. Actually too lazy to read, so anime for me. I'm a guy.
I mean, if you want to feel like a woman...*points to links in her signature*
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks darling you are a super sweetie.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:02 am

Honestly I have my manga collection mainly for decorating purposes. The only times I ever skim through them is during "But is it in the manga?" arguments. But sit through them from A to Z, nah, I feel too old for that shit...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:45 am

I think an important reason for not reading the manga, is that it's really faithful to the anime, well the other way around, actually.
It's basically the same story. You have other mangas that differ greatly from their anime adaptation, and that manga is like reading a different story. Saint Seiya comes to mind. DBS too, anime and manga are two different beasts.

Of course, this mostly applies to people who are not that big of a fan, and they've already watched the show so there's no need to relive the story again but in a different format, one without soundtrack, animation or colouring. Besides you need to buy them first, it's not as accesible as the anime.
And I'm talking about the generation that didn't grow up with the manga at hand, getting a manga chapter or volume in the 90s was near impossible depending on where you lived. I remember having a few chapters of the Cell Games arc and that was it.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:01 pm

I've been a Dragon Ball fan since 2001, but I only just read the entire manga just last year (ironically, COVID and the world shutting down was what prompted me to finally do it), and I'm up to Vol. 12 (I think) in Super. Prior to that, I had only read Vol 16 (covering the 23rd Budokai) and whatever volume in which Gohan becomes an SSJ2 against Cell. The manga was a surprisingly brisk read. I think the anime definitely enhances certain moments (like Goku's original SSJ transformation), and there is good filler (like a lot in OG Dragon Ball and the Saiyan saga), but the manga is great for a faster-paced story and witnessing Toriyama's action panelling.

I'd recommend any one who is a Dragon Ball fan commit to reading thru it at least once from the beginning. Obviously, which the US, the translation isn't perfect and there's censhorship, but it's still worth it to me at least.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:01 pm The manga was a surprisingly brisk read. I think the anime definitely enhances certain moments (like Goku's original SSJ transformation), and there is good filler (like a lot in OG Dragon Ball and the Saiyan saga), but the manga is great for a faster-paced story and witnessing Toriyama's action panelling.
I also had a re-read of the manga last year. I prefer it over watching 200 episodes, it's much faster and entertaining. I'm actually planning on re-reading the manga for DB, and re-watching the anime for Z in a few days.

I love the DB anime but it's too long, I prefer the manga's pace... I don't mind DBZ's pace even when it's longer, don't know why. Maybe because I grew up with it.