Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Post by UI Peter » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:52 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:51 am
Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 am This is one area I always thought the old Funimation dub handled better. His turn seemed more slow and gradual, instead of him talking like a psychopath until the Buu arc.
I can’t think of anything specific to the old Funi dub that made his turn seem slow and gradual
Stuff like those cheesy "Why can't I stomach this" lines during the Freeza fight and the absence of lines like "I'm pure evil."

Most of the time after the Freeza stuff it was like the writer's were trying to make him seem more like "the angry guy" instead of a straight up villain.
You got it backwards (and that "I'm pure evil" line was in the old Funi dub too).

He actually had more blatantly villainous dialogue in the 90s Funi dub than he did in the original Japanese, especially during the Android saga.

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:20 am

No I'm pretty sure the "pure evil" line was sub only.

Unless you're thinking of the Kai dub.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:09 am

At this point who even cares what Vegeta thinks, or does anyway?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:30 am

No, he really doesn't. However, and I feel like I've bringing this up again and again lately, DB never bothers itself with these sort of moral conundrums. Whenever I read an interview of Toriyama's and he says something like" the DB main cast are mostly bad people than seem like good people" I think that this is a somewhat tongue in cheek way of addressing aspects of this story just like this topic.
I do believe most of these issues were accidental or stuff Toriyama just didn't want to bother with.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am

Kinda hilarious Vegeta is responsible for the deaths of over trillion people and never get punished for it at all. :lol:

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 pm

DevilKing99 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am Kinda hilarious Vegeta is responsible for the deaths of over trillion people and never get punished for it at all. :lol:
Same with Fat Buu & Zeno

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Vegeta is beaten, humiliated, and even killed multiple times throughout the series. I'd say that's plenty punishment.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm Vegeta is beaten, humiliated, and even killed multiple times throughout the series. I'd say that's plenty punishment.
I think some people wont be satisfied until he makes everyone bento lunches, gets on his knees and makes a long winded tearful apology for his wrong doings. (Aka Out of Character)

Piccolo even fully acknowledges that despite Vegeta's pending sacrifice against Boo and his aiding in fighting other evil threats that he's going to hell when he dies because he's done so much shitty shit himself and Vegeta is at peace with it, I'm not sure what else folks want.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:07 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm Vegeta is beaten, humiliated, and even killed multiple times throughout the series. I'd say that's plenty punishment.
I think some people wont be satisfied until he makes everyone bento lunches, gets on his knees and makes a long winded tearful apology for his wrong doings. (Aka Out of Character)

Piccolo even fully acknowledges that despite Vegeta's pending sacrifice against Boo and his aiding in fighting other evil threats that he's going to hell when he dies because he's done so much shitty shit himself and Vegeta is at peace with it, I'm not sure what else folks want.
These people are just butthurt Vegeta haters, that's all lmao.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:29 pm

This is kind of what gives Dragon Ball its identity, in my opinion. Goku and the cast are fighters, not superheroes or anything. Now, they DO care about the earth and its inhabitants, but not enough to do things like fight crime or hold others, like Vegeta, accountable for their actions. Their sense of justice is pretty limited in that sense.

It almost feels tongue-in-cheek at times too. Like, yeah Vegeta did some terrible stuff, but the only people he killed that our characters care about on an individual basis were all killed by his subordinate and were later resurrected by the Dragon Balls, so...what do they care?

If you’re saying from a storytelling perspective he should have just died and paid for his actions, I mean, he did give his life in the Boo arc with the intention of saving others. Him getting brought back certainly doesn’t seem like something he thought would happen. I’d say he’s done enough.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:29 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm Does getting beaten to near death and actually dying several times not count as suffering?
Um.. it doesn't count for suffering consequences of 30 yrs of genocide, no.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:29 pm I mean, he did give his life in the Boo arc with the intention of saving others. Him getting brought back certainly doesn’t seem like something he thought would happen. I’d say he’s done enough.
How did he give his life?

He would die either way if he didn't, so I don't get the whole "sacrifice" narrative ?

And how has he "done enough" ? Don't get that either...

He: murdered trillions of people for 20 something years, with full pride and sadistic pleasure.

He dies and spends a couple of hours in hell.
Is revided, doesn't actually repent for anything (keeps bragging about his murders of the namekian ppl who didn't revive), and immediately gets rewarded with the most luxurious lifestyle in the world and his own gravity training chamber and a spaceshsip where he trains until becoming ss.

The second times he went to hell he spet a few days there and then gets given the gift of being able to return and help resolve his mistake.
He revives and is immediatelyrewarded with coming back to his life as if nothing had happend.

How / when has he ever paid or was punished for his crimes against so many people he murdered and hurt ?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:47 pm

UI Peter wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:07 am
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 pm

No, I think people would be satisfied if he actually PAID for what he did. Sort of like Frieza has done... actually BEING in hell? Not just "stoping by" for a couple of days and being immediately brought back into his luxurious life while his fans whine about him somehow being mistreated.

The argument that because Vegeta has been defeated by opponents (which is something endured by every single character in DB), is somehow punishment for his years of evil is nonsensical.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:03 am

so some people want vegeta to go back to hell and stay in it? :eh:
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 am

Shintoki wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:03 am so some people want vegeta to go back to hell and stay in it? :eh:
I’m not opposed

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:26 am

Shintoki wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:03 am so some people want vegeta to go back to hell and stay in it? :eh:
Vegeta technically would not "stay" in hell for long, his soul would would leave after it's purified and altered
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:10 pm

LOL the fact that you say it as if it was unthinkable and ridiculous, considering, again HE HAS NEVER ACTUALLY PAID FOR ANYTHING HE HAS DONE.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:31 pm

Dragon Ball is not the real world. DB characters don't pay for their crimes, but instead move on and become better people. Under the standards of DB, no, I don't think that Vegeta should go to Hell.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:44 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:31 pm Dragon Ball DB characters don't pay for their crimes, but instead move on and become better people. Under the standards of DB, no, I don't think that Vegeta should go to Hell.

Well the thing is that that is simply not true.

Nappa is dead and in hell while Vegeta gets to live a happy life when Vegeta was worse than Nappa.
Frieza spent a lot of time in Hell, Cell is in Hell.
The Androids didn't actually do anything (actually Vegeta killed drivers while fighting 18), and the Androids who DID were killed in future Trunks timeline.
If you are referring to Fat Buu that's a very different situation, Buu was created by someone else, he was like a child who has no clue what he was doing was bad until Mr Satan tells him.
Anybody who has killed as many people as Vegeta is paying for it.

Vegeta is the only person in the universe of DB I can think of that has the history that he does and gets to currently live a great life like he does.
Last edited by dva_raza on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 pm

Vegeta has gotten what amounts to a slap on the wrist but no true lasting punishment for the villainous things he did before his change of heart, at least in terms of the Dragon Ball world. He wasn't immediately eternally damned to a life in Hell along with the villains like Freeza and such by King Yemma after his multiple deaths (via Freeza shooting him fatally through the chest on Planet Namek, his self sacrifice against Majin Buu) like you would think because i don't know, though yes he never got any kind of significant punishment or anything along those lines.

Crazy isn't it, he's like literally the only character who was a full on villain (Piccolo is a lesser example, even with being a reincarnation of the late Daimao he still wasn't completely like him and changed for the better) at one point though yet he never recieved the same as the above mentioned at any point. Even after his change from bad to good late in the series, though i guess they decided he was worthy of being brought back because he was better than he was then and no longer held the things he did then against him.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)