Does anyone else feel that much of the DB fandom enforces low standards?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Does anyone else feel that much of the DB fandom enforces low standards?

Post by Adamant » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm
Adamant wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 pmThere's never been ANY GT-only video games outside of that one western-made one because the fanbase for GT stuff just isn't big enough to get dedicated products like that.
There was also GT: Transformation, sequel to the Legacy of Goku series, but that was a pretty minor game for GBA.
""outside of that one western-made one" :D
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:35 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm Goku and Vegeta have a final battle in space when they sense they're near the end of their lives, Gohan writes a book on the science of ki, Goten and Trunks open up a martial arts school, and Uub isn't mentioned at all so I guess he returns to his village after hos training ends.
God that would be such a hilariously anticlimactic end to Uub's character. He trains with the most powerful being on the planet to become his ultimate successor, and when he's done he just goes back home. :lol: Probably to become the fastest well-filler in the multiverse.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm""outside of that one western-made one" :D
Oh my bad. I thought you were talking GT Final Bout but I double checked and it was made by Bandai. I've only seen the re-release cover with the Atari logo so I assumed it was a western game :oops: .
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:35 pmGod that would be such a hilariously anticlimactic end to Uub's character. He trains with the most powerful being on the planet to become his ultimate successor, and when he's done he just goes back home. :lol: Probably to become the fastest well-filler in the multiverse.
It would be a Toriyama style subversion! We all assume Goku's successor will be a great hero who will protect the Earth for years to come but it turns out Goku just has a rematch and then Uub lives out the rest of his life in his village with nothing really eventful happening.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Far too much emphasis is placed on Uub's role as Goku's successor. Goku isn't Superman. He's not out to protect the world and he's not looking for someone to pass his knowledge to before he goes. He trains Uub primarily to have someone strong to battle.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm Oh my bad. I thought you were talking GT Final Bout but I double checked and it was made by Bandai. I've only seen the re-release cover with the Atari logo so I assumed it was a western game :oops: .
also to be fair, it was released as Dragon Ball GT final bout in the west, whereas it's just Dragon Ball final bout elsewhere, so i get how someone could mix that up.

also lmao oh God that re-release uses the funimation GT logo.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm Far too much emphasis is placed on Uub's role as Goku's successor. Goku isn't Superman. He's not out to protect the world and he's not looking for someone to pass his knowledge to before he goes. He trains Uub primarily to have someone strong to battle.
That's swell and all ABED but there isnt any mention of Goku Battling Oob either!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm Oh my bad. I thought you were talking GT Final Bout but I double checked and it was made by Bandai. I've only seen the re-release cover with the Atari logo so I assumed it was a western game :oops: .
Dragon Ball Final Bout is neither western nor a GT game.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm Far too much emphasis is placed on Uub's role as Goku's successor. Goku isn't Superman. He's not out to protect the world and he's not looking for someone to pass his knowledge to before he goes. He trains Uub primarily to have someone strong to battle.
That's swell and all ABED but there isnt any mention of Goku Battling Oob either!
Not sure what that means, but okay!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:11 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 pm
LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:07 pm
also to be fair, it was released as Dragon Ball GT final bout in the west, whereas it's just Dragon Ball final bout elsewhere, so i get how someone could mix that up.

also lmao oh God that re-release uses the funimation GT logo.
Which was honestly weird since GT wasn’t really a thing in the West and Z was only its second season at the time in the West

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:11 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 pm

LOL.
Treat me like I'm five. Just bolding it to draw my eye doesn't help. I just don't get what you're saying.. Who didn't mention Goku battling Uub? my point is Goku isn't passing the torch to Uub to take up some super heroic mantle. Uub not taking any sort of prominent role in the story going forward wasn't a big missed opportunity because that wasn't the role he was ever meant to have.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:04 am

I meant in Dragon Ball Online which is the last canon material ending according to Toriyama. Goku left with Oob and didnt bother fighting him after all that song and dance. I am not even asking for Oob to be the ultimate saviour. Just that he does the least he was to accomplish:Give Goku a challange.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:10 am

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 amTreat me like I'm five. Just bolding it to draw my eye doesn't help. I just don't get what you're saying.. Who didn't mention Goku battling Uub? my point is Goku isn't passing the torch to Uub to take up some super heroic mantle. Uub not taking any sort of prominent role in the story going forward wasn't a big missed opportunity because that wasn't the role he was ever meant to have.
We were talking about the DB Online's timeline. It reveals what most of the characters were doing post-EoZ even minor trivia like Satan staring in a movie or Lunch escaping from jail but doesn't mention Uub at all. Not that it was a missed opportunity just that it was funny he wasn't acknowledged. We know that Goku's main reason for wanting him reincarnated was a rematch since he says that himself but the timeline doesn't mention that or their training either.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:32 am

This is why I hate emojis, emoticons,, and things like "lol". They're counterproductive since impede genuine communication. Thank you both for taking the time to explain what you meant. I've never seen Online.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:28 am

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:32 am This is why I hate emojis, emoticons,, and things like "lol". They're counterproductive since impede genuine communication. Thank you both for taking the time to explain what you meant. I've never seen Online.
Here's DBO's timeline translated by Herms:
viewtopic.php?t=19499

There were some odd events in there but I liked the idea that Goku and his friends took care of the major threats and get to live out the rest of their lives in peace. This came out in 2009 so I thought it was interesting that Toriyama decided in 2013 to have his new stories all take place before EoZ because the main characters would be too old by then. Depending on how involved he was in this game's timeline, he might still feel nothing eventful happens after EoZ.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm

The fans who go out of their way to defend Toyotaro's bad writing are a major example of what I was saying.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 am

UI Peter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm The fans who go out of their way to defend Toyotaro's bad writing are a major example of what I was saying.
That's not really happening now thankfully. Obviously there are a few, but generally speaking, fans hate how Goku's being written now. It's worth mentioning that everything he write gets approved by Toriyama, so Toyotaro isn't the only one to blame. DB at this point is in a desperate need of a writing team change.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 am
UI Peter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm The fans who go out of their way to defend Toyotaro's bad writing are a major example of what I was saying.
That's not really happening now thankfully. Obviously there are a few, but generally speaking, fans hate how Goku's being written now. It's worth mentioning that everything he write gets approved by Toriyama, so Toyotaro isn't the only one to blame. DB at this point is in a desperate need of a writing team change.
Approval form someone who doesn't care don't mean much.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 amApproval form someone who doesn't care don't mean much.
I know, but it's common now to basically blame Toyo for everything when in reality he's part of a larger group and isn't the only one making decisions.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:51 am

When I see the massive success Demon Slayer is having, I can't help but wonder how much more successful modern DB would've been had they taken the same approach. To give you an idea about just how successful it's been (if you're not in the know), The opening weekend numbers for its new movie, which opened in the middle of a pandemic, is nearly 45 million dollars. That's 5 times more than Broly made during normal, non-pandemic times. The manga, which was only published for 4 years, has managed to sell over 100 million copies worldwide, with more on the way. Imagine how much more successful modern DB would've been had they taken a quality over quantity approach instead of the "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" approach they've been taking ? I think the franchise would be in a much better place for both fans and the companies involved if everyone decided that if the best they can come up with is the likes of RF and Super, then they need to go back to the drawing board. I know established franchises can get away with much more than newer ones trying to break into the market, but DS has shown that a low quantity, high quality approach is far better than the approach modern DB started with.