Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:22 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 pm They should have released the Ultimate Uncut in 2 season boxsets. Individual dvds with 3 episodes per set was an outdated model by 2006 sure. Buuut stopping your release before even finishing a saga and then rereleasing the first season as a 16 x 9 boxset , thereby making people buy the same show twice is just bad form.

Of course there’s a lot of things Funimation should have done.
Yes then we could've gotten all of the original UU versions of the episodes on DVD rather then the re-dubbed ones on the Orange Bricks.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:30 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:22 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 pm They should have released the Ultimate Uncut in 2 season boxsets. Individual dvds with 3 episodes per set was an outdated model by 2006 sure. Buuut stopping your release before even finishing a saga and then rereleasing the first season as a 16 x 9 boxset , thereby making people buy the same show twice is just bad form.

Of course there’s a lot of things Funimation should have done.
Yes then we could've gotten all of the original UU versions of the episodes on DVD rather then the re-dubbed ones on the Orange Bricks.
What else sucks too is that level 2.2 would of ran flush with the Ginyu Assualt DVD

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:18 am

I ended up deciding to pre-order the first set. I don't own Z on any physical media, so I figure this would probably be my best option outside of the Dragon Boxes, and the price of those intimidate me. Here's hoping FUNimation decides to actually finish this run...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:34 pm

They're finally starting to appear on Amazon and whoa this is pretty gnarly!

Like $60 for the first set? On Amazon?!

No thanks!! The only way I'll pay $60 for this is if I'm getting it at my local anime shop. Amazon doesn't need my $60 as much as my local shop does.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Kendamu wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:34 pm They're finally starting to appear on Amazon and whoa this is pretty gnarly!

Like $60 for the first set? On Amazon?!

No thanks!! The only way I'll pay $60 for this is if I'm getting it at my local anime shop. Amazon doesn't need my $60 as much as my local shop does.
RightStuf has it cheaper, though they don't ship as fast as Amazon. But seeing as this would be my first time physically owning the show I ended up ponying up for faster shipping. Not practical for everyone, I know.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Wait, THESE are limited edition too?

So fucking sick of FUNimation making the proper aspect ratio a "rare" and "limited" thing. So fucking annoying.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:10 pm Wait, THESE are limited edition too?

So fucking sick of FUNimation making the proper aspect ratio a "rare" and "limited" thing. So fucking annoying.
I seem to have missed where it says that..!
(they/she)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:56 pm

They're limited edition?!? Oh my god that's hilarious.

What're the odds that FUNi puts out these new 4:3 masters every few years as a limited thing to try to gaslight people into thinking "oh shit this might be the last time I can get it in 4:3 I better buy it!!"
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Did they bust out the ol “watch Dragon Ball Z the way it was meant to be seen!” chestnut yet?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:42 pm

Christ, at least I get some pleasure out of CBT. This is just plain torture.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm

Limited?? I didn't see anywhere saying that as in an "OMG buy these now, it's a super special ultra limited deluxe edition release and you better get em before they're gone" fashion. If these sets were limited runs wouldn't they state as such as with the 30th anniversary box set.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:05 pm

I've seen nothing to suggest that they are limited, but there was nothing "limited edition" about the Dragon Box, either, until they stopped printing some of the earlier volumes in the middle of its run. When everyone was like, "What the heck, Funi" they were like, "Oh, we didn't say anything at the time buuuuut they're limited edition."

So even if I've seen nothing to suggest it, I'mma treat this release like they're gonna pull another Dragon Box.

And that's if they make it all the way through this one.
(they/she)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:12 pm

God, can you imagine what bullshit they'll pull in 2024?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Kendamu wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:05 pm I've seen nothing to suggest that they are limited, but there was nothing "limited edition" about the Dragon Box, either, until they stopped printing some of the earlier volumes in the middle of its run. When everyone was like, "What the heck, Funi" they were like, "Oh, we didn't say anything at the time buuuuut they're limited edition."

So even if I've seen nothing to suggest it, I'mma treat this release like they're gonna pull another Dragon Box.

And that's if they make it all the way through this one.
I suppose it's a matter of wait and see at this point, who the hell knows what FUNi's plan is going to be with these sets going forward.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:39 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm Limited?? I didn't see anywhere saying that as in an "OMG buy these now, it's a super special ultra limited deluxe edition release and you better get em before they're gone" fashion. If these sets were limited runs wouldn't they state as such as with the 30th anniversary box set.
It actually says on the Amazon listing "Limited Edition Steelbook", so it's a definite.

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:44 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:39 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm Limited?? I didn't see anywhere saying that as in an "OMG buy these now, it's a super special ultra limited deluxe edition release and you better get em before they're gone" fashion. If these sets were limited runs wouldn't they state as such as with the 30th anniversary box set.
It actually says on the Amazon listing "Limited Edition Steelbook", so it's a definite.

Hoping thats just amazon being amazon (not correct on the details) but since it's a steelbook I wouldn't be surprised. However, a regular plastic case version I could see coming out after this...and if they do...nice to see they haven't learned their lesson from the level sets era lol

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:49 pm

Yeah, I was referring to the Amazon listing.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Ohhhh there it is!! Good eye!
(they/she)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:04 pm

So, if the description there is verified to be correct will there only be a certain number of these sets released or something before being discontinued assuming that the entire series is released in this format? It also wouldn't surprise me if a standard everyman's vanilla BD case version comes out later after the steelbook run their course in sales.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:44 pm

You can also pick them up from Crunchyroll and with a coupon code(thanks honey) you can get them down to around $36 USD
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice