Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:31 am

Forte224 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:23 am I really hope these don't go out of print or something. I have US and JP Dragon Boxes, so I really can't justify spending $40-$45 a piece on them, but if they go cheaper I'd definitely like to get them. Have they said if these are essentially replacing the 16:9 or if they're a limited release? Or has it been nothing but silence?
The steelbooks themselves are limited, as they'll be replaced with normal packaging later on. In terms of the 16:9 release, I guess it could just remain as another option, but the 4:3s are here to stay.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:31 am
Forte224 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:23 am I really hope these don't go out of print or something. I have US and JP Dragon Boxes, so I really can't justify spending $40-$45 a piece on them, but if they go cheaper I'd definitely like to get them. Have they said if these are essentially replacing the 16:9 or if they're a limited release? Or has it been nothing but silence?
The steelbooks themselves are limited, as they'll be replaced with normal packaging later on. In terms of the 16:9 release, I guess it could just remain as another option, but the 4:3s are here to stay.
Interesting. Do we know for a fact that there will be normal packaging? I’m wondering if these Steelbooks are considered limited and then it’ll just go back to the 16:9 for the standard release.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:38 am

Forte224 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 am
Interesting. Do we know for a fact that there will be normal packaging? I’m wondering if these Steelbooks are considered limited and then it’ll just go back to the 16:9 for the standard release.
I'm not as clued-in but MangaUK has been offering standard packaging for the 4:3 Blu-Rays for a while now.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:38 am
I'm not as clued-in but MangaUK has been offering standard packaging for the 4:3 Blu-Rays for a while now.
Ah neat. Ok thanks. Well, I don’t really need this release in any shape or form so I guess I’ll just wait it out and see what happens here in the US.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:58 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:38 am
Yup, and Manga UK's Blu-Rays are region A and B, so they will work on US players.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 pm

It seems like the Manga UK release had different cover art. It will be interesting to compare them when both are out.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:07 pm

I find it interesting how the extremely vocal disdain for the 30th on this forum has suddenly shifted into acceptance and apathy. I guess Funimation has finally broken the will of the hardcores.

At least there isn't anyone on here arguing that these are better than the Dragon Boxes like a certain other forum (Blu-ray.com). Now THAT would be a complete tone shift for this forum.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:07 pm I find it interesting how the extremely vocal disdain for the 30th on this forum has suddenly shifted into acceptance and apathy. I guess Funimation has finally broken the will of the hardcores.

At least there isn't anyone on here arguing that these are better than the Dragon Boxes like a certain other forum (Blu-ray.com). Now THAT would be a complete tone shift for this forum.
My thinking on this is the feeling by a lot of fans especially around here that FUNi just isn't going to deliver on what they really want, a non DNR'ed to oblivion non over saturated release in 4:3 that presents the series for what it is. For many this is an "Well, better than nothing i suppose" thing which manages to be superior to the other two versions out there in the Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays that are worse with having the former issues and being cropped to fake widescreen. I feel that it is similar to the copies of the unaltered versions of the Star Wars original trilogy included on the Limited Edition sets' bonus discs in that while they may be twenty plus years old (13 at release time) letterboxed transfers of the THX Laserdisc masters from 1993/1995 and are thus not nearly as good quality as a proper transfer from the original film prints would be it is a version of the pre Special Edition films available in digital form which is good enough for me as of currently.

I've seen those people saying that over on the BR site's anime forum and when reading their posts i just sit there thinking and shaking my head "Really, what are you people on???" because even though the Dragon Boxes are 17+ year old transfers from 16/35 mm film to me they still look better detail wise than the smeary watercolor mess of the 30th BD.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:42 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:07 pm I find it interesting how the extremely vocal disdain for the 30th on this forum has suddenly shifted into acceptance and apathy. I guess Funimation has finally broken the will of the hardcores.

If Funi's going on Discord and displaying such an amateur outlook on both film restoration AND to their hardcore fans, than I think it's just time to fold. I don't understand how they can treat the show and their fans that singlehandedly but them on the map with such disrespect, but better releases already exist in North America (the singles and Dragon Boxes), so there's little point in trying to get an idiot to comprehend quantum physics. I know they did do the Level Sets (and apparently level sets-esque restorations for the Season Blu Rays and 30th Anniversary behind all that DNR), but they listened to fan feedback back then; now they're ok with closing their ears and think what they think is best and think contrastive criticism is just haters.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:38 pm

The difference is context. The 30th Anniversary Blu-Rays were produced for the explicit purpose of celebrating Z's 30th birthday, and were premium products with upper class-style packaging, a strictly limited run, and an extremely high price tag. For all that, the footage still having DNR and then getting a fake layer of grain to seemingly try and fool us was pretty insulting.

But if you take that and put it in a sustainable release and a much cheaper price, and all of a sudden it becomes the first 4:3 release of DBZ in the US since the Dragon Boxes, with some unfortunate DNR applied. It's much easier to recommend as a product compared to all the other releases, which is why we prefer it over most other DBZ releases (if still not without its big issues).

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:36 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:38 pm But if you take that and put it in a sustainable release and a much cheaper price, and all of a sudden it becomes the first 4:3 release of DBZ in the US since the Dragon Boxes, with some unfortunate DNR applied. It's much easier to recommend as a product compared to all the other releases, which is why we prefer it over most other DBZ releases (if still not without its big issues).
All 9 seasons put together cost quite a bit more than the original price of the 30th release, and no artbooks or figure included.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:45 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:36 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:38 pm But if you take that and put it in a sustainable release and a much cheaper price, and all of a sudden it becomes the first 4:3 release of DBZ in the US since the Dragon Boxes, with some unfortunate DNR applied. It's much easier to recommend as a product compared to all the other releases, which is why we prefer it over most other DBZ releases (if still not without its big issues).
All 9 seasons put together cost quite a bit more than the original price of the 30th release, and no artbooks or figure included.
Steelbooks or normal packaging?

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:39 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:45 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Steelbooks or normal packaging?
Steelbooks.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:31 pm

i finally got all 9 n Its the greatest set i've ever gotten

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 pm

these sets may be the final physical media i'll ever buy

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:54 pm

While I'm happy that a 4:3 version of the show is here to stay, they're still not good. So I can't justify anyone go out and buy them.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:34 pm

I don't watch the show as closely as someone like Ajay does so a lot of the stuff he pointed out that everyone cites is stuff I don't really notice. I'm satisfied with this. Funi gave me what I wanted.

All this means is that if Funi ever wants to sell me this show again they're really gonna have to go all-out in terms of video and audio!!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 am

Kendamu wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:34 pm

I don't watch the show as closely as someone like Ajay does so a lot of the stuff he pointed out that everyone cites is stuff I don't really notice. I'm satisfied with this. Funi gave me what I wanted.

All this means is that if Funi ever wants to sell me this show again they're really gonna have to go all-out in terms of video and audio!!
I agree, unless they announce the level sets reboot these Steelbooks will be my final perfect set

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:42 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 am

I agree, unless they announce the level sets reboot these Steelbooks will be my final perfect set
Perfect is not a word I would use to describe this set. It's a mediocre set at best. Will happily stick with the Dragon Boxes over these.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:57 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:42 am
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 am

Perfect is not a word I would use to describe this set. It's a mediocre set at best. Will happily stick with the Dragon Boxes over these.
It's his perfect set tho. I can't blame him as I'm tired of buying the series or waiting for anything better. While I do have the Japanese Dragon Box of Z, I can watch both releases and enjoy different aspects of them.

The Dragon Boxes, I'd say, are mediocre as they didn't color correct or even place the NEP where they belong. They just scanned the film and slapped it on a disc. The 30th sets I'd call overkill. They're remastered(Level sets) and then they "remastered" the remaster (Season sets) to make it look more modern, then remastered again on top of that (30th). Then, like the Dragon Box, they took the limited edition version and pushed out a wider-release version.

FUNimation is like....
Image :lol: