Was GT a failure ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Was GT a failure ?

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:52 pm

I was reading an article here called "The evolution of Kai", and this part caught my eye:

"we are not completely sure we can say Dragon Ball Kai was an actual “failure”, at least not in the same way we can say Dragon Ball GT was an absolute failure."

This topic isn't about what we think of GT as a product, or how it compares to Super, but rather the facts we know about the statement above.

Has anyone official said anything about GT being a failure ? Do we have numbers that back this statement up ? I've always assumed the reason GT ended as early as it did was due to it not being as successful as DB/Z, rather than being an outright flop, but this statement seems to say otherwise.

Link to the article for those who are interested: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/the ... -ball-kai/

GT's average ratings compared to the other shows:

DB: 21.2
Z: 20.5
GT: 14.6
Kai 1.0: 9.4
Kai 2.0: 5.8
Super: 5.6

Rating wise, I don't know if I'd call it a failure, especially when you take into account how long DB was going up to that point.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Was GT a failure ?

Post by Xeogran » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm

No, it's still one of the most popular ""non-canon"" anime stories over 20 years later after it aired. SSJ4 is still a strong selling point (see DBH), and even the first adventure arc continues getting new merch for GT Trio and their spaceship.

It has less numbers than the other series in viewership or merchs, but it's still successful on the overall anime market.

And then, Toriyama himself still doesn't want to go past EoZ to officially replace it, which shows he cares enough about it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:03 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm And then, Toriyama himself still doesn't want to go past EoZ to officially replace it, which shows he cares enough about it.
Did he say that? Toriyama and his writers clearly haven't forgotten about the End of Z, because Uub was mentioned in the Tournament of Power arc, so eventually the story will get there.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:05 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:03 pm
Xeogran wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm And then, Toriyama himself still doesn't want to go past EoZ to officially replace it, which shows he cares enough about it.
Did he say that? Toriyama and his writers clearly haven't forgotten about the End of Z, because Uub was mentioned in the Tournament of Power, so eventually the story will get there.
They didn't forget it, but they're prolonging to reach that point until they've collectively decided what happens to the franchise next.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:03 pmDid he say that? Toriyama and his writers clearly haven't forgotten about the End of Z, because Uub was mentioned in the Tournament of Power, so eventually the story will get there.
Toriyama didn't say that, but a producer a few years ago said during an interview that GT takes place after the events of Super, so they clearly still acknowledge it. How they'll line up is anyone's guess, as that's currently not possible.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm
And then, Toriyama himself still doesn't want to go past EoZ to officially replace it, which shows he cares enough about it.

That’s more than a bit of a stretch. Considering how much of Super makes it so GT can’t happen (Freeza is alive, Pilaf gang are children, Super Saiyan God existing, Kiboto and Kaioshin defusing) I doubt Toriyama cares that much about GT or at all.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:15 pm

I think whenever they state "this takes place after that" is more like a generic statement about time period itself, not necessarily acknowledging anything (because, one way or another, Dragon Ball GT does take place after Dragon Ball Super, for obvious reasons).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:14 pmThat’s more than a bit of a stretch. Considering how much of Super makes it so GT can’t happen, I doubt Toriyama cares that much about GT or at all.
I think the only way they can connect is for Zeno or someone even higher to decide that Beerus meeting Goku and the events that followed ruined the balance of things, thus rewinding time to before they met. I also think this is the only way DB as a whole can continue, as things are getting too out of hand with all the transformations and power scaling.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:15 pm I think whenever they state "this takes place after that" is more like a generic statement about time period itself, not necessarily acknowledging anything (because, one way or another, Dragon Ball GT does take place after Dragon Ball Super, for obvious reasons).
GT takes place after Z it doesn’t take place after Super. They’re both sequels to Z it’s just one takes place 10 years later and one takes place 5 years later after the defeat of Majin Boo but before the epilogue.

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:20 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:14 pmThat’s more than a bit of a stretch. Considering how much of Super makes it so GT can’t happen, I doubt Toriyama cares that much about GT or at all.
I think the only way they can connect is for Zeno or someone even higher to decide that Beerus meeting Goku and the events that followed ruined the balance of things, thus rewinding time to before they met. I also think this is the only way DB as a whole can continue, as things are getting too out of hand with all the transformations and power scaling.
There’s no reason they need to connect. They both exist. They just don’t exist in the same timeline.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pmGT takes place after Z it doesn’t take place after Super. They’re both sequels to Z it’s just one takes place 10 years later and one takes place 5 years later after the defeat of Majin Boo but before the epilogue.
I don't see it like that. the 28º tournament is Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super is a midquel, taking place during Z events. So, naturally and logically, Dragon Ball GT comes after that.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:25 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pmGT takes place after Z it doesn’t take place after Super. They’re both sequels to Z it’s just one takes place 10 years later and one takes place 5 years later after the defeat of Majin Boo but before the epilogue.
I don't see it like that. the 28º tournament is Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super is a midquel, taking place during Z events. So, naturally and logically, Dragon Ball GT comes after that.
It doesn’t matter how you see it, GT cannot exist in the same timeline as Super.

The events of Super couldn’t take place in GT and GT cannot exist in the timeline with Super.

They’re both alternative sequels to Z

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:28 pmThe events of Super couldn’t take place in GT and GT cannot exist in the timeline with Super.
As things are now, no, but that doesn't mean they can't line them up in the future. That's not to say they should or even will, just that it's possible.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:15 pm I think whenever they state "this takes place after that" is more like a generic statement about time period itself, not necessarily acknowledging anything (because, one way or another, Dragon Ball GT does take place after Dragon Ball Super, for obvious reasons).
GT doesn't take place after Super, how events transpired in the latter makes it impossible for the two to happen in the same timeline, but both series could be seen as alternate visions of what happens after the Buu arc.

In relation to the topic itself, I would say no. GT had decent ratings when it aired, the hate has significantly died down and it still has plenty of loyal fans both for the series itself and concepts (i.e Super Saiyan 4) to this day. It also gave us one of the franchise's greatest antagonists with Baby.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:28 pmIt doesn’t matter how you see it, GT cannot exist in the same timeline as Super.

The events of Super couldn’t take place in GT and GT cannot exist in the timeline with Super.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:35 pmGT doesn't take place after Super, how events transpired in the latter makes it impossible for the two to happen in the same timeline, but both series could be seen as alternate visions of what happens after the Buu arc.
Please read my post again, I never said the series take place in the same continuity, I'm talking about out-universe stuff. But since you are talking about in-universe instead, I'm very aware that Dragon Ball GT cannot (and does not) take place in the same continuity as Dragon Ball Super.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:28 pmThey’re both alternative sequels to Z
How can Dragon Ball Super be a sequel if it takes place before AGE 784/the 28th tournament?

~ Day of the Machines ~

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm

GT's ratings are about the same as the ratings of the mid Boo arc. Ultimately, Japanese fans had kinda lost interest by that point. A bunch tuned back in for the final episodes of Z, but for the most part, the audience had dried up. When GT began, most people just weren't interested in watching.

So, it didn't do great. Though IIRC it was initially ordered as just 40 episodes, and then extended for another 24, so it was at least successful enough to warrant that extension.
I don't know how well the GT Dragon Boxes sold, but the thing I've generally heard is that Japanese fans watching GT in repeats, on DVD, etc. were generally pretty okay with the series. Wasn't seen as anything amazing, but it was fine, was the attitude. So, I think probably the DVD sales were okay?

And, certainly, Toei and Shueisha have got a lot of mileage out of GT merchandising; the video games tend to involve GT ideas, etc.

Ultimately, I don't think calling it a failure would be accurate, but it certainly wasn't gangbusters, and as far as the franchise is concerned, it was a disappointment.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:20 pm

IMDB Rating:6.9/10
MAL Rating:6.5/10
I would say GT overall did okay it still has Fans especially SSJ4&the Baby Arc in general has gotten some credit over the last years
Last edited by Goten_jr on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm GT's ratings are about the same as the ratings of the mid Boo arc. Ultimately, Japanese fans had kinda lost interest by that point. A bunch tuned back in for the final episodes of Z, but for the most part, the audience had dried up. When GT began, most people just weren't interested in watching.

So, it didn't do great. Though IIRC it was initially ordered as just 40 episodes, and then extended for another 24, so it was at least successful enough to warrant that extension.
I don't know how well the GT Dragon Boxes sold, but the thing I've generally heard is that Japanese fans watching GT in repeats, on DVD, etc. were generally pretty okay with the series. Wasn't seen as anything amazing, but it was fine, was the attitude. So, I think probably the DVD sales were okay?

And, certainly, Toei and Shueisha have got a lot of mileage out of GT merchandising; the video games tend to involve GT ideas, etc.

Ultimately, I don't think calling it a failure would be accurate, but it certainly wasn't gangbusters, and as far as the franchise is concerned, it was a disappointment.
Yes it definitely was a disappointment as the direct Sequel to the most popular Anime at That Time

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm

I remember asking the same question a few months ago. GT was clearly less successful than DB/Z but I don't know if there's any evidence that it was a failure and ended earlier than intended. It had 64 episodes which is a typical five cour anime. I don't know happens to canceled anime but I assume they have a more uneven number of episodes if they had to be cut short or had a rushed ending. In an interview with GT's producer, he talked about wanting to keep DBZ timeslot so it might be that they only wanted to keep it until they had another anime ready. He also said that they had the ending planned early on.

Toei's IR library only goes back to 2006 and DB was their first or second highest earning franchise in every year I checked. I couldn't find anything online for an earlier year or when GT was airing. I think it's unlikely GT would cause revenue to drop and then it started rising again a decade later. After checking Boruto's performance, GT might be in the same situation since both were sequels that continued on after the original author's story ended. They did better than the average anime but far worse than the original series. Every long running series hits a peak and begins an inevitable decline so that might've also been a factor because they're trying to continue after that point.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pmI don't know how well the GT Dragon Boxes sold, but the thing I've generally heard is that Japanese fans watching GT in repeats, on DVD, etc. were generally pretty okay with the series. Wasn't seen as anything amazing, but it was fine, was the attitude. So, I think probably the DVD sales were okay?
Well, according to Kei, GT DVDs sold better than OG DB and Z in Japan, so evidently it was a series that was looked upon more favorably over time than it was during it's initial run on Fuji TV.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:25 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:34 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pmI don't know how well the GT Dragon Boxes sold, but the thing I've generally heard is that Japanese fans watching GT in repeats, on DVD, etc. were generally pretty okay with the series. Wasn't seen as anything amazing, but it was fine, was the attitude. So, I think probably the DVD sales were okay?
Well, according to Kei, GT DVDs sold better than OG DB and Z in Japan, so evidently it was a series that was looked upon more favorably over time than it was during it's initial run on Fuji TV.
Is there a source proving this? Kei never showed one.