Does English Dragon Ball need higher profile actors?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Does English Dragon Ball need higher profile actors?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:35 pm Nuthing lol.

But it does show that Sailor Moon is much like DB in many ways. Down to having a flawed, divise yet still much loved first dub and a more updated one for better or worse.
Is the DIC dub of SM beloved? I thought it was held in the same regard as the stuff made by 4Kids. People always seem to be making fun of it, especially for its attempts to censor that lesbian relationship. I’m certainly not well versed in SM or its fandom (but I do remember seeing it on Toonami), but I’ve never heard anything about it having a divisive English fandom like DB does.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm

Wow. Did not know that about Sailor Moon's production. Maybe things weren't so bad with Funi's behind-the-scenes practices after all.

Maybe there is just something inherently wrong with dubbing anime altogether. Perhaps it should have remained a relic of the past?

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:14 pm

But it does show that Sailor Moon is much like DB in many ways. Down to having a flawed, divise yet still much loved first dub and a more updated one for better or worse.
Is the DIC dub of SM beloved? I thought it was held in the same regard as the stuff made by 4Kids. People always seem to be making fun of it, especially for its attempts to censor that lesbian relationship. I’m certainly not well versed in SM or its fandom (but I do remember seeing it on Toonami), but I’ve never heard anything about it having a divisive English fandom like DB does.
I would imagine it is indeed beloved. I definitely have a special fondness for it. Although I don't think it's anywhere near as divisive a fandom as with DB.

(The lesbian censorship was in the later Cloverway years, not DiC.)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:25 pm

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...

Do I have to go over the whole "Blind people and people who cant read subtitles deserve to enjoy anime too"? Because it looks like I need to. Listen, Dubbing is NOT OUTDATED. In fact its getting better than ever! And even if one doesnt like the new dubs there is always the old ones.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:25 pm SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...

Do I have to go over the whole "Blind people and people who cant read subtitles deserve to enjoy anime too"? Because it looks like I need to. Listen, Dubbing is NOT OUTDATED. In fact its getting better than ever! And even if one doesnt like the new dubs there is always the old ones.
Well then perhaps that should be what becomes of the dubbing process. A means for people with disabilities to enjoy anime. Instead of being a broad practice that functions as an alternative to the original Japanese.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 pm

Um... isnt that what it is already? ALSO What is wrong with having an alternative? Nobody is pushing dubs down your throat. AND THE JAPANESE DUB TOO!

Sorry for geting this ranty. I really get passionate about this stuff.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:16 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm Wow. Did not know that about Sailor Moon's production. Maybe things weren't so bad with Funi's behind-the-scenes practices after all.

Maybe there is just something inherently wrong with dubbing anime altogether. Perhaps it should have remained a relic of the past?
I...wouldn’t use the dubbing from two kids anime that was done in the 90s/2000s as good examples of dubbing.

I would imagine it is indeed beloved. I definitely have a special fondness for it. Although I don't think it's anywhere near as divisive a fandom as with DB.
It does have its fans but nowhere near to the extent of Dragon Ball Z dub fans. I’d say DiC/Cloverway dub fams are the minority where, outside of Kanzenshuu , the Dragon Balls fandom overwhelmingly leans towards the English dub.

(The lesbian censorship was in the later Cloverway years, not DiC.)
DiC would have done away with it as well so it’s somewhat irrelevant.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 pm Um... isnt that what it is already? ALSO What is wrong with having an alternative? Nobody is pushing dubs down your throat. AND THE JAPANESE DUB TOO!
It's primary function is not to serve people with disabilities or any specific niche market.

I would say it is being "pushed down our throats", because a majority of audiences are not interested in the original Japanese while preferring to watch the dubbed versions. The dubbing practice only reinforces this sort of behavior and thinking.

Is there truly an acceptable alternative to the original Japanese versions? Isn't there always at least something missing in the adaptation process? And even when you may get acceptable dubs for certain series, is that the case across the board? I don't think so. And while that may be due to a variety of factors, it might also suggest that the dubbing practice is inherently misguided.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:19 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:02 pm

It's primary function is not to serve people with disabilities or any specific niche market.
It’s primary function is to be accessible to the widest possible audience. Since ya know tv shows are typically made in the interest of making money.

Doesn’t mean that dubbing being more accessible to vision impaired and people with reading disabilities should be discounted, even if they’re not who dubbing companies have in mind.
I would say it is being "pushed down our throats", because a majority of audiences are not interested in the original Japanese while preferring to watch the dubbed versions. The dubbing practice only reinforces this sort of behavior and thinking.
I think that’s more cultural as a lot of Americans don’t like reading subtitles. Dubs aren’t being pushed down anyone’s throats (well I do think Funi pushes its dubs down peoples throats but that’s more an exception)

Is there truly an acceptable alternative to the original Japanese versions? Isn't there always at least something missing in the adaptation process? And even when you may get acceptable dubs for certain series, is that the case across the board? I don't think so. And while that may be due to a variety of factors, it might also suggest that the dubbing practice is inherently misguided.
Less we forget at the end of the day we are talking about a children’s show.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 pm Um... isnt that what it is already? ALSO What is wrong with having an alternative? Nobody is pushing dubs down your throat. AND THE JAPANESE DUB TOO!

The Divine Comedy exists only as a translation of a translation. According to you its an aberration because its "not the original". And yes, there is. The dubbed versions do not destroy the originals. Even subtitles, unless they are filled with academic footnotes "lose" some of the original meaning.

EDIT:Masenko Ha. I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart. I cannot begin to say how much I appreciate your insight and support of dubs.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:32 am

I'd heard that Moore left to pursue a career on Broadway, interesting that it was for creative differences, it's too bad she didn't stay on.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:14 pm

It definitely had a good amount of fans, months ago I asked the SM sub-reddit what people thought of the dub and got overwhelmingly positive responses, so I definitely wouldn't say dub fans are in the minority in the least, I can tell you I never saw nearly as much bile aimed at SM's english dubs as I did aimed at season 3 of DBZ. Unfortunately the censorship was kinda necessary because the dub aired at a time before gay marriage was legalized so advertisers for kids shows on cable were not willing to put up with that sort of thing, but it was funny how the dub basically didn't change any of the subtext between Uranus and Neptune, making them look like an incestuous couple(Kinda like Alex and Justin in Wizards of Waverly Place, as they were originally meant to be best friends, but after they got changed to siblings all the romantic hints were still kept in which made things hilarious and awkward).

I definitely don't think there's anything inherently wrong with dubbing anime at all, we would've missed out on some great performances and a lot of anime would've languished in obscurity had it never gotten dubbed. Big O comes to mind as it got a 2nd season created in the U.S. because it was so popular on Toonami.

I don't mind reading subtitles for live-action foreign films, but when it comes to anime I just prefer dubs.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Another thing with the Dic dub of Sailor Moon, despite its flaws, it was a girls' cartoon that folks didn't give you crap for watching if you were a guy. Back then, before the days of Bronies and whatnot, most girls' cartoons on US tv, boys would not admit freely to watching of their own accord. Often using the babysitting, attachments, or watching with their sister/cousin excuse. Heck, to fellow male Yanks, between 1987/88 and 1995 how many girl cartoons on US tv did you have no problem admitting you watched on your own without excuse? So it was kind of a trendsetter one might say. Do kind of think something like that was why they didn't include "Make up" in the older dubs. Think their thought was, "we're aiming at girls, but don't want to turn off boys entirely" or something.

And regarding the title, of cast members who were on "X-Men", would you have considered them "higher profile" and could see any of the X-Men cast in DB? Interestingly enough, though not on the same shows, kinda funny that like Ms. Moore, and Ms. Hawkes, Ms. Sheh has also appeared in versions of Care Bears and X-Men.