Dragon Ball Season set (Trailers)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Season set (Trailers)

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:25 pm

I noticed the trailer for season 5 not only looks either not DNRed or at the very least slightly? There doesnt seem to be any cropping either. Seems kind of odd, but if anyone can compare these to the blue bricks it would be interesting. It at least gives us an idea what a less crammed single could look like
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Season set (Trailers)

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:06 pm

Looks kinda like this footage is from the masters they used for the singles; the rather nice DigiBeta transfers Funi did back in the day.

The bricks just took that same footage from the singles and DNR'd it, so it would make sense if a trailer for the then-unreleased DVDs would use the previous masters out of convenience, if Funi hadn't prepared the DNR'd footage yet.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Season set (Trailers)

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:47 pm

They're not exact matches, but here's how a couple those shots look on the actual 'Season 5' DVD: https://slow.pics/c/fIDz4hqh. I don't know which scenes the other ones come from.

The really frustrating one is Season One, because the unfiltered clips on the trailer look so nice, although other threads have established that Funi's masters for the first arc or so are higher quality to begin with. The DNR makes it look softer but it's not too destructive compared to other DB releases: https://slow.pics/c/eS1HMClN I've clearly got the wrong frames for 3, 4 & 8 but in my defence, they used a lot of panning shots in that trailer.

It's a tad ironic that the trailers of all things would use the original footage - clearly the grain wasn't putting that many people off.