Wasn't the whole point of the Cell saga to show that Gohan can't replace Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Wasn't the whole point of the Cell saga to show that Gohan can't replace Goku?

Post by Totamo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:38 am

I have never really agreed with the idea that Gohan should have been the main character after Goku died. Mostly being that he would just be like Ichigo and reactive to the world around him. This is not true for Goku who makes things happen and allows for a simple series to not have bend to the will of the main character. People have argued that Goku didn't belong in the freeza saga,a special name comes up and he is wrong.

Another reason that came to me recently was that the saga itself proves why Gohan wouldn't fit. He was the hero in the future, He was the last line of defense. He was as strong as his father was at that point and he failed. Trunks went back in time specifically to find Goku. Gohan doesn't fight Cell until Goku made him. Gohan gave up on fighting Cell until Goku encouraged him.

Now of course the real reason why Toriyama decided not to write Gohan as an mc is because Goku is easier to write around especially in modern Dragon ball. Still I think this provides a better in universe reason.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: Wasn't the whole point of the Cell saga to show that Gohan can't replace Goku?

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

The end of the Cell saga doesn't really "suggest" anything to me in a thematic way. That Goku was dead should've prompted Toriyama to write around Gohan and spruce his character up, but he didn't and decided to shoehorn Goku back into the spotlight. It is what it is.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Wasn't the whole point of the Cell saga to show that Gohan can't replace Goku?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 pm

It seemed after Goku was killed off the second time (albeit through self sacrifice than outright being killed like first time) that they were going to then try to move it over to Gohan being the focus of Z, of course as we know that ultimately didn't pan out in the end because Toriyama then reintroduced Goku back into the story again soon after and thus you get something that was done only partially for a time before being discarded. I think he was just so used to writing plots around Goku by that point he just couldn't make the same thing work with Gohan. It really was a waste, because you get the feeling from the final battle against Cell, Bojack Unbound and the very beginning of the Buu arc that this is what they were trying for until it got dropped.

Really though, it ultimately defeats the purpose of all the development and buildup Gohan had up to that point only for him to then get nerfed.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:26 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 pm It seemed after Goku was killed off the second time (albeit through self sacrifice than outright being killed like first time) that they were going to then try to move it over to Gohan being the focus of Z, of course as we know that ultimately didn't pan out in the end because Toriyama then reintroduced Goku back into the story again soon after and thus you get something that was done only partially for a time before being discarded. I think he was just so used to writing plots around Goku by that point he just couldn't make the same thing work with Gohan. It really was a waste, because you get the feeling from the final battle against Cell, Bojack Unbound and the very beginning of the Buu arc that this is what they were trying for until it got dropped.

Really though, it ultimately defeats the purpose of all the development and buildup Gohan had up to that point only for him to then get nerfed.
having an infinite well of potential isn’t build up. Gohan bravely standing up to the Saiyans was the payoff
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:33 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:26 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 pm It seemed after Goku was killed off the second time (albeit through self sacrifice than outright being killed like first time) that they were going to then try to move it over to Gohan being the focus of Z, of course as we know that ultimately didn't pan out in the end because Toriyama then reintroduced Goku back into the story again soon after and thus you get something that was done only partially for a time before being discarded. I think he was just so used to writing plots around Goku by that point he just couldn't make the same thing work with Gohan. It really was a waste, because you get the feeling from the final battle against Cell, Bojack Unbound and the very beginning of the Buu arc that this is what they were trying for until it got dropped.

having an infinite well of potential isn’t build up. Gohan bravely standing up to the Saiyans was the payoff
True that seemed to be the defining moment for him by far, considering how he'd initially started off in the series as a weak defenseless four year old cry baby who had hidden powers he didn't know about that were only revealed at certain times. In particular i like when he was actually going one on one against Vegeta and managing to hold his own to some degree. The part after in which he goes Oozaru also is another one, where the true level of his partial Saiyan power (as of the Saiyan arc) really showed itself in full.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:21 pm

I highly agree with the sentiment that Gohan's character development peaked as early as the Saiyan (and Freeza) arcs of the series. Seeing a scared, timid little boy to one who would face down his enemies (enemies much older and bigger/stronger) despite being terrified was always epic. The Cell Saga merely had Gohan as the fighter to defeat the big bad, but for me his best character development really occurred before. Even looking at the Freeza saga, we see a Gohan (bowl cut and all) that will rush into the face of danger without any hesitation.

Goku is a character who loves the fight primarily but fights to protect his loved ones second. Gohan is a character who fights solely to protect his loved ones. Thus, it makes sense to me that he did not train in the 7 year timeskip between Cell and Buu. The earth was at peace, and Gohan (for awhile) was the most powerful warrior on Earth who theoretically, if a threat did turn up, would be ready to face it. But one also has to consider that these were some of the only times in Gohan's life since he was 4 years old where he did not have to fight. It's reasons like this that I continue to be a Gohan fan (he and Piccolo are my favorite characters) even during the Buu saga. Whether you like where his character goes or not, I think Toriyama made very sensible decisions with where to take him, for the most part.

Could he have molded the series after Gohan as the true main character? Yes, I think so. But doing so would have changed the makeup of Dragon Ball since Goku and Gohan are so fundamentally different. Because of that, I get why he brought Goku back and I don't blame him. But I do occasionally wonder what could have been.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:23 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:21 pmGoku is a character who loves the fight primarily but fights to protect his loved ones second. Gohan is a character who fights solely to protect his loved ones. Thus, it makes sense to me that he did not train in the 7 year timeskip between Cell and Buu. The earth was at peace, and Gohan (for awhile) was the most powerful warrior on Earth who theoretically, if a threat did turn up, would be ready to face it. But one also has to consider that these were some of the only times in Gohan's life since he was 4 years old where he did not have to fight. It's reasons like this that I continue to be a Gohan fan (he and Piccolo are my favorite characters) even during the Buu saga. Whether you like where his character goes or not, I think Toriyama made very sensible decisions with where to take him, for the most part.

Could he have molded the series after Gohan as the true main character? Yes, I think so. But doing so would have changed the makeup of Dragon Ball since Goku and Gohan are so fundamentally different. Because of that, I get why he brought Goku back and I don't blame him. But I do occasionally wonder what could have been.
I totally agree. I never understood the desire for Gohan to be Goku's successor. It's great he goes through that development of overcoming his fears, but having the payoff be him become the hero is too cliched, and I respect Toriyama for trying something different and creating a father and son with contrasting priorities.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:23 am I totally agree. I never understood the desire for Gohan to be Goku's successor. It's great he goes through that development of overcoming his fears, but having the payoff be him become the hero is too cliched, and I respect Toriyama for trying something different and creating a father and son with contrasting priorities.
Yep, and it would also be serving Goku moreso than Gohan. The only time I've been outright fully disappointed with his character is in Resurrection F, but apart from that, I don't feel that Buu and onward has done him a particular disservice. It's just that his major arc finished a long time ago (and again, it really occurred before Cell, moreso in the Saiyan/Freeza arcs).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm

The main downside to the whole Gohan =/= Gokus successor is, of course, Gokus actual(for now) successor being Uub, who definitely fights for the sake of others, and whilst he got carried away with Goku, that was his first time using his true power. I imagine when he learns to control that we will see him turn into a more stereotypical hero, though at least hopefully with some form of dark side on account of being a resurrection of pure chaos.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:05 pm

JewyB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm The main downside to the whole Gohan =/= Gokus successor is, of course, Gokus actual(for now) successor being Uub, who definitely fights for the sake of others, and whilst he got carried away with Goku, that was his first time using his true power. I imagine when he learns to control that we will see him turn into a more stereotypical hero, though at least hopefully with some form of dark side on account of being a resurrection of pure chaos.
I don't see that being the case as Buu was resurrected to specifically be free of his evil chaotic ways.

I think the whole idea of the next generation taking over is an idea that people like more when it's an idea than it ever turns out in execution.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:54 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:05 pm
JewyB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm The main downside to the whole Gohan =/= Gokus successor is, of course, Gokus actual(for now) successor being Uub, who definitely fights for the sake of others, and whilst he got carried away with Goku, that was his first time using his true power. I imagine when he learns to control that we will see him turn into a more stereotypical hero, though at least hopefully with some form of dark side on account of being a resurrection of pure chaos.
I don't see that being the case as Buu was resurrected to specifically be free of his evil chaotic ways.

I think the whole idea of the next generation taking over is an idea that people like more when it's an idea than it ever turns out in execution.
Oh i know thats the case, i'm just being optimistic that Uub might have something deeper to his character arc, because from what we know of him in canon, he is someone who is fighting to protect his loved ones, despite being quite timid, despite having untapped potential, basically making him Gohan 2.0 is a simplistic fashion.

I'm down with the next generation as a spin off, i think we could explore more of our universe with the weaker characters and the multiverse with our god characters, but ditching Goku and Vegeta just wouldnt work in the long run, not without changing the core of the series or making the next generation copies of them instead of their own characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:19 pm

Fair enough and ultimately there needs to be a little more to his character because what he was supposed to mean no longer fits.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:27 pm

I am both excited and terrified by the entire thought of it, but they're clearly at least keeping it in mind because they are dropping a couple of hints every now and then, so they must have an idea.... Maybe...

But i dont think we're discussing any of the words present in the topic anymore, so Abed, nice to know you and then meet you, in that order.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm

You are both correct and incorrect. One of the points that the Cell Saga drives home, is Goku misunderstands Gohan. Piccolo learned the lesson that Gohan doesn't want to fight through his time teaching Gohan. Goku never really did himself and this was him catching up almost. Goku never got time to really know his son as a fighter, all he saw was that Gohan had poitental and was brave on Namek. So in a way, reality check hits Goku.

However, another part is A16 teaching Gohan that sometimes its nescarsary to fight. The point isn't "Gohan wouldn't be the main character" It was "Gohan would be a differen't lead than Goku"

However due to Toriyama not knowing how to write with Gohan at the helm, he was dropped.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Toriyama flat out stated that Gohan was supposed to replace Goku as the main character, hence why Goku decided to stay dead after Cell was defeated. He quickly changed his mind on that, but the Cell Games was very much treated as a passing of the baton. That’s why Gohan was the one who defeated Cell, despite having done very little in the Cell arc prior to that point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm You are both correct and incorrect. One of the points that the Cell Saga drives home, is Goku misunderstands Gohan. Piccolo learned the lesson that Gohan doesn't want to fight through his time teaching Gohan. Goku never really did himself and this was him catching up almost. Goku never got time to really know his son as a fighter, all he saw was that Gohan had poitental and was brave on Namek. So in a way, reality check hits Goku.

However, another part is A16 teaching Gohan that sometimes its nescarsary to fight. The point isn't "Gohan wouldn't be the main character" It was "Gohan would be a differen't lead than Goku"

However due to Toriyama not knowing how to write with Gohan at the helm, he was dropped.
You are incorrect. Goku knows this about his son. It's why he tells him that if he wants to be a scholar he first has to defeat Cell.

Gohan was set to be the lead but his lack of active choices in that and the Buu arc showed he's not as interesting as the lead.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:05 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:56 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm You are both correct and incorrect. One of the points that the Cell Saga drives home, is Goku misunderstands Gohan. Piccolo learned the lesson that Gohan doesn't want to fight through his time teaching Gohan. Goku never really did himself and this was him catching up almost. Goku never got time to really know his son as a fighter, all he saw was that Gohan had poitental and was brave on Namek. So in a way, reality check hits Goku.

You are incorrect. Goku knows this about his son. It's why he tells him that if he wants to be a scholar he first has to defeat Cell.

Gohan was set to be the lead but his lack of active choices in that and the Buu arc showed he's not as interesting as the lead.
I misworded it I suppose. He knows his son's career path to be a scholar but remember, he thought Chi-Chi was pushing him to this. Goku thinks there is a warrior underneathe that nerd and seeks to make him his truself. However, Piccolo enlightens Goku that his son isn't the same as him. Goku and Piccolo (Early in Z) mistook Gohan for a warrior who both could unleash using their previous experinces. However both learned that Gohan is entirley different from them.

Also, I agreed. Gohan was meant to be the lead. I never said otherwise.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:02 pm

He knows Gohan wants to be a scholar. There's nothing to suggest Goku is trying to mould Gohan into a warrior against his will. Gohan not being a fighter at heart isn't news to either. That whole third act of the Cell arc forces the drama. The only thing that took them aback was Gohan's lack of control. Goku thought Gohan would be able to bring it out mostly on his own.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:09 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:02 pm He knows Gohan wants to be a scholar. There's nothing to suggest Goku is trying to mould Gohan into a warrior against his will. Gohan not being a fighter at heart isn't news to either. That whole third act of the Cell arc forces the drama. The only thing that took them aback was Gohan's lack of control. Goku thought Gohan would be able to bring it out mostly on his own.
Goku thought Gohan was a warrior through and through. Goku trains Gohan because he wants his son to tap into remarkable power because he sees Gohan as the next him. That's not the case however, that's what he learns. Goku doesn't not know his son wants to be a scholar, and Goku isn't molding him against his will. Goku just approaches Gohan incorrectly focusing on the wrong aspects of him.
Also, knowing what he wants to be isn't the same as understanding him. Goku has to understand his son better. You may say forced, but I think it's fair given the snip bits of their training.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:12 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:26 pm

What about the build up with him attacking second form Frieza? The Saiyans were not the pay off in the slightest. Cell was. That's the end of Gohan's story really. Hell you could argue Buu but honestly, no he was just their fighting like the rest.