My Attempt to Improve the Orange Bricks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

My Attempt to Improve the Orange Bricks

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:53 pm

For fun, I decided to use a free photo editor to improve a screenshot from the Orange Bricks. I'm pretty happy with the results, and I'd like to show them here.

Funimation's remaster:

My remaster:

Please let me know what you think!

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Re: My Attempt to Improve the Orange Bricks

Post by KPike87 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:28 am

Looks a touch too dim, but otherwise the colors are great! Unfortunately there's just no way to fix the OB's greatest offense, the vanishing lines, without a frame by frame fix (oh, the irony). Because of that, there's no real point to color correcting the OB's, but it's still interesting.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:05 am

KPike87 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:28 am Looks a touch too dim, but otherwise the colors are great! Unfortunately there's just no way to fix the OB's greatest offense, the vanishing lines, without a frame by frame fix (oh, the irony). Because of that, there's no real point to color correcting the OB's, but it's still interesting.
Their greatest sin is the cropping.

If they weren't cropped, they would be a flawed-but-acceptable release. Not good, but acceptable.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:31 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:05 am
KPike87 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:28 am Looks a touch too dim, but otherwise the colors are great! Unfortunately there's just no way to fix the OB's greatest offense, the vanishing lines, without a frame by frame fix (oh, the irony). Because of that, there's no real point to color correcting the OB's, but it's still interesting.

If they weren't cropped, they would be a flawed-but-acceptable release. Not good, but acceptable.
No doubt, though i'd have much preferred if they just took the digibeta masters they already had and put them on there albeit with better encoding.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm

That's unfortunately the problem. The image was so bleached that there wasn't much else I could do with the tools given to fix it (especially Gokou's skin). I appreciate that you like the rest of it.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm also considering adding a light sharpening filter and making the grain I added a little more noticeable. I was playing around with the filters after posting this, and I was liking the results.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 pm

JustAlex1997 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm
That's unfortunately the problem. The image was so bleached that there wasn't much else I could do with the tools given to fix it (especially Gokou's skin). I appreciate that you like the rest of it.
Would increasing the saturation and lightness minimal amounts not help with this slightly? Obviously too much saturation/lightness would look bad but maybe bumping both up by a 5/10 value might just nudge it in the right direction.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Agreed on the cropping, although even without a crop I'd hesitate to call the orange bricks acceptable. The singles maybe. I used to own the orange bricks, but the glaring and deleted lines of animation took a lot out of the experience. Even in motion it's an incredibly jarring way to watch the series. Season BDs are vastly superior, ditto the 30th anniversary remaster from what I've seen, although both still have issues.

JustAlex1997's remaster may be a bit on the dim side, but it's still an improvement.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 pm

JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 pm
JustAlex1997 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm
Would increasing the saturation and lightness minimal amounts not help with this slightly? Obviously too much saturation/lightness would look bad but maybe bumping both up by a 5/10 value might just nudge it in the right direction.
I probably could improve it a little bit. As I did mess with a lot of that to make this, though, I'm not sure if I could make a huge improvement to it. If I do tinker with it a little more, I'll see what I can do to brighten it a little.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:45 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Agreed on the cropping, although even without a crop I'd hesitate to call the orange bricks acceptable. The singles maybe. I used to own the orange bricks, but the glaring and deleted lines of animation took a lot out of the experience. Even in motion it's an incredibly jarring way to watch the series. Season BDs are vastly superior, ditto the 30th anniversary remaster from what I've seen, although both still have issues.

JustAlex1997's remaster may be a bit on the dim side, but it's still an improvement.
I'm replacing the Orange Bricks with the 30th Anniversary Blu-rays. They could be a lot better, but they're acceptable considering the price. I have the first season pre-ordered already.

And thank you.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Trying to improve these would be like trying to improve old milk, nothing you can do will fix the core problem.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 pm Trying to improve these would be like trying to improve old milk, nothing you can do will fix the core problem.
As an avid cheese lover you take this back immediately!
JustAlex1997 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 pm I probably could improve it a little bit. As I did mess with a lot of that to make this, though, I'm not sure if I could make a huge improvement to it. If I do tinker with it a little more, I'll see what I can do to brighten it a little.
I think it looks good, just yeah agreed on it being a little dark. I would play around with it myself but i have never given colour correction a go so i'd just be winging it in Krita.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Edits have been made based on feedback and my own issues. Saturation has been increased to improve the dim colors, the clarity of the image has been slightly increased, and grain has been increased to be more noticeable. We're getting into pink skin territory, so I think this'll be as far as I can improve it.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:38 pm

JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:49 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 pm Trying to improve these would be like trying to improve old milk, nothing you can do will fix the core problem.
As an avid cheese lover you take this back immediately!
JustAlex1997 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 pm I probably could improve it a little bit. As I did mess with a lot of that to make this, though, I'm not sure if I could make a huge improvement to it. If I do tinker with it a little more, I'll see what I can do to brighten it a little.
I think it looks good, just yeah agreed on it being a little dark. I would play around with it myself but i have never given colour correction a go so i'd just be winging it in Krita.
It's actually pretty easy with the website Pixlr. This is my first time editing images for anything besides memes, and it's going pretty smoothly.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:41 pm

not bad, pretty good actually.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm I used to own the orange bricks, but the glaring and deleted lines of animation took a lot out of the experience. Even in motion it's an incredibly jarring way to watch the series. Season BDs are vastly superior, ditto the 30th anniversary remaster from what I've seen, although both still have issues.
I'd rather have some parts look distracting due to line erasure than have all semblance of subtlety and texture in the image completely destroyed.

The Orange Bricks are far from good, but the season Blu-rays are far, far worse. The 30th anniversary sets win points for finally not being cropped, but they're still unwatchably distorted.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 am

That actually looks pretty decent, makes me think of a cropped D-Box with the colors. The fact you were able to make that from the trainwreck Orange Bricks is applaudable :lol: :clap:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:51 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 am That actually looks pretty decent, makes me think of a cropped D-Box with the colors. The fact you were able to make that from the trainwreck Orange Bricks is applaudable :lol: :clap:
I appreciate the kind words! Yeah, this process has made me shake my head at Funimation with even more disappointment.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:43 pm

That doesn't even look like an Orange Brick screenshot. It loos more like the Season BD to me. It's a way too blue for those episodes, and not only that, but it's half the resolution and heavily compressed, so what's even the point?

Here's an actual Orange Brick screenshot from one of the overly bright Season Two episodes (where brighter details are crushed)"

And here is my correction of it:

Now, if this was a screenshot of Gohan, then his skintone would still be gone. However, most people act like all of Season Two is this bright, when in reality it's only about 4 or 5 of the entire set. It never should have happened, and I'm not defending it, but I honestly think most of Season Two looks pretty decent:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:43 pm That doesn't even look like an Orange Brick screenshot. It loos more like the Season BD to me. It's a way too blue for those episodes, and not only that, but it's half the resolution and heavily compressed, so what's even the point?

Here's an actual Orange Brick screenshot from one of the overly bright Season Two episodes (where brighter details are crushed)"

And here is my correction of it:

Now, if this was a screenshot of Gohan, then his skintone would still be gone. However, most people act like all of Season Two is this bright, when in reality it's only about 4 or 5 of the entire set. It never should have happened, and I'm not defending it, but I honestly think most of Season Two looks pretty decent:
The disc drive on my laptop doesn't work, so I was unable to get a screenshot myself. I used a result from Google after specifically looking for Orange Brick screenshots, and this looked like one to me. As for the size of the image/etc., this was more about color correction and adding grain than creating a 100% accurate representation of the image. Were it not for the disc drive problem, my first move would've been to get a proper screenshot myself (which I've done in past threads).

As stated, this was just a fun thing for me to attempt.