How do you reconcile the filler scenes of the villains in hell?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

How do you reconcile the filler scenes of the villains in hell?

Post by precita » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:13 pm

In the manga, and especially in the Boo arc, we're told all evil people are sent down to Hell and have their bodies removed, their memories erased, and reborn as a new being. This is more or less is what happens with Kid Boo. They also said Vegeta only got to keep his body after he died against Boo because King Yemma realized Boo was too powerful and he was one of the few strong warriors they had and kept his soul around as a last resort. Otherwise Vegeta would have never come back but they knew the fate of the entire Universe depended on Boo being defeated.

However due to the filler in DBZ when Goku falls in Hell, and then eventually seeing the Ginyu Force, then latter on Cell/Freeza and King Cold fight Goku and Pikkon, and then Dr. Gero, Freeza and everyone else watching Goku defeat Kid Boo, we see all the villains still have their bodies. And this is years after some of them died.

How do you personally reconcile this? Especially now that Freeza was shown wrapped in a cocoon in a special place in Hell just for him with his cyborg armor still attached in Super/Movie 15.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you reconcile the filler scenes of the villains in hell?

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 pm

I mean, as far as filler goes...it's filler. I don't try to "reconcile" it.

As far as Freeza's Hell in modern DB goes, for the life of me I can't recall where this was stated but I'm pretty sure the idea is he's still stuck in Hell because he refuses to "repent". I suppose if you care that much about filler you can apply that to the various villains we see down in Hell in Z.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 pm

I suppose the problem is Super is both a sequel to the DBZ anime and manga at the same time, so naturally some filler stuff has to be reconciled. For me I "headcanon" that Freeza was seperated from the rest of the villains after the Pikkon stuff and put in his own personal hell as seen in Super/Movie 15.

Whereas the rest of the villains then got their souls cleansed and it's why Cell or the others aren't there anymore. Of course this doesn't explain away his cyborg parts...but eh. I think Toei had it the right way where Freeza would go back to his natural form without the cyborg armor when he died.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 pm

There’s no way to reconcile the scenes of Freeza in Hell in RF and Super with the filler Hell from back in the day. Even if you want to headcanon the idea that Freeza was separated from the rest of the villains, and sent to a worse Hell, that still wouldn’t explain why he’s not only inexplicably a cyborg again, but also why he doesn’t remember watching Goku fight Majin Boo. It’s obvious that Toriyama wasn't taking Toei filler into consideration when he came up with “Earth’s Hell.”

As for how we’re supposed to reconcile it with what the manga established, I’m not sure you can do that either. The closest thing to an explanation that we’ve gotten is that Freeza refuses to allow his soul to be cleansed, but that doesn’t explain why he seems to have a body.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 pm There’s no way to reconcile the scenes of Freeza in Hell in RF and Super with the filler Hell from back in the day. Even if you want to headcanon the idea that Freeza was separated from the rest of the villains, and sent to a worse Hell, that still wouldn’t explain why he’s not only inexplicably a cyborg again, but also why he doesn’t remember watching Goku fight Majin Boo. It’s obvious that Toriyama wasn't taking Toei filler into consideration when he came up with “Earth’s Hell.”

As for how we’re supposed to reconcile it with what the manga established, I’m not sure you can do that either. The closest thing to an explanation that we’ve gotten is that Freeza refuses to allow his soul to be cleansed, but that doesn’t explain why he seems to have a body.
I take up on the challenge to reconsile that filler with the canon let's go...

So after Trunks kill Frieza this one is send to hell in his spirit body (the spirit body is the representation of what you think your body is something a la Matrix if you want) then in hell he first do labor stuff to try to break his mind to be ready to repent, later on Goku goes in the after life and help Paikuhan stop the villains that started to rebel, here he got punched by the Green alien and send to hell jail.

During the Boo arc Goku is fighting Majin Buu during this arc since it's a great event everyone watch it even the hell resident.

Much later before the Battle of Gods arc Frieza is send to a different side of hell since Emna and the Orc saw that the spirit of Frieza was not easily to break.

The rest is history. Shenron bring him back in the state that he was before he was send to hell then you know the rest.

And that's how I reconsile everything.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:19 am

Tbh I wonder why Toei kept the villains around in hell. By the time the Ginyu Force shows up on King Kai's planet, Toriyama already established the rules of villains in Hell by the end of the Saiyan saga.

I know they had to show Freeza/Cell due to their popularity and them being taken out by Pikkon makes sense, but still you'd think they wouldn't let powerful villains run amok down there since Goz and Mez wouldn't be able to stop them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Yea, this was one thing I was wondering.... and it goes way back to when Goku died. You can see the little cloud-like spirits but it seemed Raditz was able to keep his body (tho we never see him in HIFL in either Saiyan or Buu filler or even GT) plus the anime added this shot with contradicts the cloud-spirits, tho I guess you could make the excuse that they were higher ranking spirits. Image Image but you never see them again

The thing I did like was the Spirit washing machine in Movie 12

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:56 pm

I still don't think villains in Hell keep their bodies because Freeza in his cocoon was his spirt and not his body. When he was brought back on Earth, he only came back in pieces and not his full body like Goku and other characters did. One big plot hole in the DBZ filler that no one can ever explain is how is Freeza is able to get his original body back after death meanwhile Dr. Gero is sitll a cyborg. Why didn't return back to human? Even #17 and #18 came back to life as cyborgs after death in the anime.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm

I wonder why anyone would want to.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:56 pm I still don't think villains in Hell keep their bodies because Freeza in his cocoon was his spirt and not his body. When he was brought back on Earth, he only came back in pieces and not his full body like Goku and other characters did. One big plot hole in the DBZ filler that no one can ever explain is how is Freeza is able to get his original body back after death meanwhile Dr. Gero is sitll a cyborg. Why didn't return back to human? Even #17 and #18 came back to life as cyborgs after death in the anime.
Probably same reason Yamcha and Tenshinhan's scars didn't heal when they were dead or came back to life? At least they didn't show 19 in Hell in DBZ.

One weird thing is Zarbon and Dodoria were always absent in the Freeza/Ginyu Force Hell scenes, I always wondered why they didn't show them with him.