DBGT sequel, or alternative setting... Would it work?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

DBGT sequel, or alternative setting... Would it work?

Post by Psajdak » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Like, Toei decide to go Fuck Toriyama/Toyotaro, and again make anime only series with main cast getting into new adventures, without worrying about canon, or similar crap.

As someone who even enjoys Heroes promo anime to some point, and liked what I saw in games like Xenoverse, and FighterZ, not to mention certain fillers, and movies, and of course DBGT, I'm sure Toei has people who could at least make something at least entertaining.

At this point I dont even ask for quality, only for fun, and more iconic seiyu joining franchise.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: DBGT sequel, or alternative setting... Would it work?

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pmLike, Toei decide to go Fuck Toriyama/Toyotaro.
If they do this then anything they put out will be better than what we've been getting in this revival. A GT sequel would be the way to go, as you'll have an entire new cast and setting to work with.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:01 pm

I'd love something like that. But most people here and over the world would not like it at all, because they are biased towards everything that is not "from Toriyama".
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Something as a short, 2/3 volume manga, similar to Reincarnated as Yamcha would be fun, but something like a special that has been thought out beginning to end instead of a full continuation.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Another idea I wouldn't be against is a type of "legends" series that focuses on different characters at different time periods.
Trouser wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:01 pmI'd love something like that. But most people here and over the world would not like it at all, because they are biased towards everything that is not "from Toriyama".
This mindset made sense back in the day when Toriyama was just involved with the original manga, but not anymore. Toriyama has given us a lot of...questionable material in the last decade+ , with this month's super chapter being the latest.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:07 pm

As stated above the Toriyama bias would make it tough to market an installment like this. Personally though, I'd be all for it.

I've always enjoyed A Heros Legacy for what it is, and seeing Goku Jr hearing stories about Goku who is thought to be a myth and going on a number of adventures throughout the world where his great great grandfather would occasionally appear as a spiritual guardian of sorts, like in the special and ending of GT could be neat.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Only way it would happen, is if this whole "revival" was financial disaster, unfortunately, despite its terrible quality, post revival Dragon Ball makes lots of money. :(

And yes, i would be all for it, either reboot or sequel, just don't use any post 1995 retcons.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:43 pm Another idea I wouldn't be against is a type of "legends" series that focuses on different characters at different time periods.
Trouser wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:01 pmI'd love something like that. But most people here and over the world would not like it at all, because they are biased towards everything that is not "from Toriyama".
This mindset made sense back in the day when Toriyama was just involved with the original manga, but not anymore. Toriyama has given us a lot of...questionable material in the last decade+ , with this month's super chapter being the latest.
Yes, I know it and you know it, but to them it's great, because "hurr durr it's Toriyama". Some people will fed on everything, even the worst kind of things, as long as it have his name written on it. It doesn't matter if "filler" is good or great, because it's "hurr durr non-canon" so it has to be trashed...
In my country people often claim that "how dare you have an opinion, be gratefull we have anything at all!", so... I don't trust Toriyama anymore. I don't even trust Toyotarou anymore and, funny thing, not so long ago I was defending him here, on Kanzenshuu.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pm

Trouser wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:42 pmYes, I know it and you know it, but to them it's great, because "hurr durr it's Toriyama". Some people will fed on everything, even the worst kind of things, as long as it have his name written on it. It doesn't matter if "filler" is good or great, because it's "hurr durr non-canon" so it has to be trashed...

I don't trust Toriyama anymore. I don't even trust Toyotarou anymore and, funny thing, not so long ago I was defending him here, on Kanzenshuu.
This is one of the reasons people don't like GT, because it doesn't have Toriyama's name on it. Don't get me wrong, GT has its issues, but if you're going to dislike something, do it for the right reasons. This is also why modern DB has gotten away with so much, because it has Toriyama's name on it. It amazes me how a fan's view on something can be made up based on a name being attached to it or not, rather than basing it on the actual product.

I was defending Toyotaro just 2 months ago, going as far as saying he's the best person to take over the franchise...I've never been more wrong in my life.
coola wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:08 pmOnly way it would happen, is if this whole "revival" was financial disaster, unfortunately, despite its terrible quality, post revival Dragon Ball makes lots of money. :(
If there's anything I've learned from star wars' revival (based on the numbers I've seen and what I've been told), it's that relying on brand recognition to sell a bad product will only last so long before people start noticing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pmIf there's anything I've learned from star wars' revival (based on the numbers I've seen and what I've been told), it's that relying on brand recognition to sell a bad product will only last so long before people start noticing.
As a huge Star Wars myself I would say the flaws of the new movies (although I'd say until Rise of Skywalker it wasn't a huge flaw) are more down to over reliance on original trilogy nostalgia. Not dissimilar from modern Dragon Ball excessively pandering to Z fans mostly. Ironically both cases have left fans of the formerly maligned prequels and GT sour because of the lack of recognition for what they love.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:51 pm

Back in the day, I wondered what a sequel series that focused on Goku Jr. would be like, but I can’t imagine that such a thing would generate much interest from the average viewer.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Heroes kind of plays with GT elements. I wish it would receive a longer format to tell more stories with a creative team with some ideas that are removed from being mainstream.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 pm

I feel like it's too late for a GT sequel. Even if they did a GT sequel, it won't do so well because GT still has a bad stigma attach to it. Even the casual DB fans don't like it that much. The only way a GT sequel would work if they retcon the ending and have Goku return. They can try to do a series without Goku and have Vegeta as the lead role, but I'm not sure if that will do well. I also feel like a sequel with Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. will also flop because most fans will be like "I want the real deal and not these water down versions".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 pm

For the record, there is an official Dragon Ball GT sequel in manga format, and it came out within the last decade. If you don't know what it is, I feel like naming it... is actually a kind of major spoiler for it, though?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Besides what VegettoEX posted, everything that is happening with the Time Patrollers in Dragon Ball Heroes also act as a sequel to Dragon Ball GT, since they pretty much come from a point in time set after its events.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

DBPirate

Post by DBPirate » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm

I would really rather they not make anything that connected to GT, but I do hope Toei eventually revisits the post-end of Z era of Dragon Ball. As far as a GT sequel goes, I have 0 interest in a story about Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr., nor Pan and Trunks as they are in GT.
Favorite sagas: Tien Shinhan (DB), Frieza (Z), Future Trunks (Super)
Favorite characters: Frieza, Future Trunks, Beerus, Android 17, Zamasu, Gohan

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:48 pm

If Dragon Ball was owned by a western company, I could see them giving Toriyama the boot (See: Star Trek with Roddenberry). The thing is, Toei has a little thing called respect for the creators. Right or wrong.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:59 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:48 pm If Dragon Ball was owned by a western company, I could see them giving Toriyama the boot (See: Star Trek with Roddenberry). The thing is, Toei has a little thing called respect for the creators. Right or wrong.
I don't think Toriyama should be fired, but he should be working with people who aren't yes men. The problem is he's working with younger people who view him as a legend, so even if he gives them something that isn't great they'll act otherwise. Personally speaking, I probably wouldn't be able to say anything either, so I don't really blame them.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm

I would rather have new stories set after Z instead of doing a sequel to a show that most people didn't like. However, it won't surprise me if Toei asks Toriyama to remake GT for them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pmHowever, it won't surprise me if Toei asks Toriyama to remake GT for them.
I think this is very likely, as they've really been pushing GT content these last few years.