Kirby Morrow, Third Canadian Voice of Goku, Passes Away

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Kirby Morrow, Third Canadian Voice of Goku, Passes Away

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:16 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:13 am So how did he die?
That isn't public knowledge yet.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:44 am

These are really sad news :(

My deepest condolences to his family, friends, co-workers, fans and other loved ones.

Rest in peace, Mr. Morrow.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:05 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:16 amThat isn't public knowledge yet.
Hmmm, sometimes when that's the case it's because the death was a result of suicide. That's what I've seen happen several times when it comes to Japanese voice actors passing away.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:20 am

This is really tragic news, he was a big part of my childhood. Sadly not too many US DB fans will appreciate the work he did as it was only broadcast in the UK, Netherlands and Canada but I for one am devastated.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:12 am

NitroEX wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:20 am This is really tragic news, he was a big part of my childhood. Sadly not too many US DB fans will appreciate the work he did as it was only broadcast in the UK, Netherlands and Canada but I for one am devastated.
The lack of any Westwood dub home releases didn't help. Sadly now even if it got a DVD release no one will be able to get a copy signed by Morrow.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:06 pm

I haven't seen much of Mr Morrow's work, but a sudden loss like this is always tragic.

May his soul rest in peace.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:28 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:56 pm Oh jeez, I knew he sounded off during Yashahime, I didn't think it was that serious though.
His voice change in Yashaime might have had nothing to do with his passing. He was pushing 50, his voice isn't going to sound the same as it did 10 years ago.
I don't know about that... for most people, is there really any distinguishable difference between their voice in their 40s compared to their 30s? My dad turns 72 next month and his voice sounds so similar compared to home videos where he was in his late 30s and early 40s that I can't detect a change. The ability to scream or hit certain notes (either low or high) might change, but I think one's regular conversational voice is very steady except for in the extremes of old age. Media often depicts people in their 60s and 70s as having the stereotypical "wobby old person" voice, but I've never actually known anyone of that age with that kind of voice. My grandparents didn't really qualify for it until their late 80s.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:28 pmI don't know about that... for most people, is there really any distinguishable difference between their voice in their 40s compared to their 30s? My dad turns 72 next month and his voice sounds so similar compared to home videos where he was in his late 30s and early 40s that I can't detect a change. The ability to scream or hit certain notes (either low or high) might change, but I think one's regular conversational voice is very steady except for in the extremes of old age. Media often depicts people in their 60s and 70s as having the stereotypical "wobby old person" voice, but I've never actually known anyone of that age with that kind of voice. My grandparents didn't really qualify for it until their late 80s.
A lot of it depends on other factors besides aging. Smoking will affect it, as well as lots of singing, and especially screaming. People who don't do a ton of these things tend to keep their voice sounding pretty much the same. Even with all that taken into account, some people just have genetically stronger vocal cords that can take a lot of punishment, whereas others don't.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm
Dr. Casey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:28 pmI don't know about that... for most people, is there really any distinguishable difference between their voice in their 40s compared to their 30s? My dad turns 72 next month and his voice sounds so similar compared to home videos where he was in his late 30s and early 40s that I can't detect a change. The ability to scream or hit certain notes (either low or high) might change, but I think one's regular conversational voice is very steady except for in the extremes of old age. Media often depicts people in their 60s and 70s as having the stereotypical "wobby old person" voice, but I've never actually known anyone of that age with that kind of voice. My grandparents didn't really qualify for it until their late 80s.
A lot of it depends on other factors besides aging. Smoking will affect it, as well as lots of singing, and especially screaming. People who don't do a ton of these things tend to keep their voice sounding pretty much the same. Even with all that taken into account, some people just have genetically stronger vocal cords that can take a lot of punishment, whereas others don't.
Yeah the voice-actor that changed the most that I noticed is Julie Kavner, you compare Marge in earlier seasons of the Simpsons to the more recent ones and she sounds a lot more raspy to the point where i'm legit concerned about her health, where as the other characters still sound as good as ever.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:59 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:56 pm Oh jeez, I knew he sounded off during Yashahime, I didn't think it was that serious though.
His voice change in Yashaime might have had nothing to do with his passing. He was pushing 50, his voice isn't going to sound the same as it did 10 years ago.
It wasn't that significant a change, though. General consensus from people who watched the episode, myself included, was that it sounded like he had a cold.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm

I'll always remember him as Cyclops.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm

This is truly sad news, he was only 47 :cry: :cry: :cry: It's been a few days and I still can't believe it, I still really miss him. We lost the best English Goku, and an all around talented actor.

RIP Kirby Morrow, and condolences to his loved ones.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm

47? Too damn young. I've only heard clips of him as Goku, but I enjoyed his performance as Cyclops.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Was at a small convention where I met him and he mentioned Goku, but living in the States, never heard it or him recreating his version. He did like my Balrog costume, and I got a picture with him:

He was great as Miroku, Cyclops, Hot Shot, and various others. Including what a lot of folks remember him from which I had him sign my copy of "Endless Waltz" which was signed by various cast members including 3 of the other pilots. RIP good sir.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:40 pm

I know I’m late to post, but RIP. I was mostly familiar with him as Cyclops, but I have heard him as Goku as well.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:45 pm

This really took me off guard. His voice, as others have mentioned already, was really recognisable. I remember him once saying in an interview for the Ocean Kai dub, that he was "too cool" to play the role of Gokuu, and it sort of hit me why his voice never totally sat right with me for the role. I remember hearing him in place of Kelamis one day and something felt quite... Un-Gokuu.
Regardless, his voice was great to listen to every episode (he certainly fit the 'main character' vibe really well, very heroic and confident performance), and even if he didn't fit the Gokuu role super well, he was clearly a pro and started his first episode as if he'd been playing this character for years, so he certainly left an impression on me. Whenever I heard him afterwards I remember smiling, like 'hey, it's Kirby!'. I thought his performance in Death Note was fantastic, and he was perfectly cast as Cyclops.

What else can I say? Rest in peace Mr.Morrow, really hope that whatever happened, there wasn't much suffering in the end.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 am

Oh, damn. RIP... I actually liked his Goku. Otherwise, I know him from the few episodes of Death Note that he did. Be he always seemed cool and funny from his interviews. That's just tragic.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:18 pm

It's amazing how prolific these actors are.
I didn't realise he voiced Cyclops, made him the only likeable incarnation till very recently.

And I'm a huge sg fan so it's a double punch in the gut.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:37 pm

It's my first time back out of the abyss for a few years, but hearing about this really got to me.

The Westwood dub was a chaos. Everything from the relentless production schedule, the revolving door of acting talent, and the 'off-the-shelf' MegaMan replacement score was the antithesis of what you'd want from a dub of a title that you adore.

But it played a huge part in my life growing up. In the UK, the Westwood dub was my daily tether to Dragonball, and Kirby Morrow's Goku outlasted the other three voice actors to pick up the mantle during the UK's troubled history of Dragonball Z dubs.

Kirby's family, friends and fans are in my thoughts.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:05 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:16 amThat isn't public knowledge yet.
Hmmm, sometimes when that's the case it's because the death was a result of suicide. That's what I've seen happen several times when it comes to Japanese voice actors passing away.
One certainly hopes not, but keep in mind that we are in the midst of a global pandemic of a deadly virus.

I am sure a cause of death will be released if it is deemed suitable by his family. We need to respect that..
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:58 pm

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... a-comment/

"Such an amazing voice actor gone far far too soon. Over 20yrs working together on so many wonderful projects.I always envied Kirby's cool af hero voice & it will always be the #DragonBallZ Goku I hear. Such great memories. Tremendous travels to you my friend. Rest in Peace Kirby."

Brian Drummond.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.