bootleg Dragon Ball Super DVDs and Blu-Rays?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

bootleg Dragon Ball Super DVDs and Blu-Rays?

Post by Brangeta » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:32 pm

I'd like to finally buy the entire series of DB Super since Funimation has finished it all. I was hoping to get it in a box set in packaging I'd find more attractive, but as the months go by, it just doesn't seem like that is happening so far.

I need some help from someone who has made this mistake before, or can help me not make the mistake myself by telling me these don't look like their authentic ones they own (or that they do look the same). I've searched this forum and Google, and haven't found any mentions of anything like this, and so I'm hesitant. All I can find is this rather good video on YouTube specific to the blu-rays, but it still doesn't help very much in my situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaEWOC1sBe0

First thing's first... is it normal for the Part 05 DVD spine to be so much different from the other ones? There are a ton of listings on ebay that look like this. Every one of these pictures is from a different seller's ad.

Are these authentic? Or are they bootlegs? Either way, I am not sure I can stand having them on display in my collection if they look THAT different. It may be worth going with Blu-Rays just to not have that big of an error bothering me every time I look.

Second, is it worth buying the Blu-Rays over the DVDs, when buying an entire set of Blu-Rays is over twice the cost of buying the entire set of DVDs? I'm not a very good DVD nerd, so I don't know if the quality of a DVD will truly look that much worse than the quality of a Blu-Ray when playing it through my Blu-Ray player (that can upscale DVDs) on a rather reasonably sized 4K TV that is just 43". I imagine the quality difference would be notable on a 65" TV, but I just don't know. I already know I dislike the first two sagas of Super, so the idea of paying a lot for them bugs me lol.

Third... it appears the only set of Blu-Rays I found on ebay is a mix of bootleg Blu-Rays and authentic Blu-Rays, based on the YouTube video I linked to above. Take note that the cutout for the UPC barcode is HUGE on the first 5. Buyer beware I guess.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: bootleg Dragon Ball Super DVDs and Blu-Rays?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:11 pm

I'd say those are bootleg. The slipcover being sealed with the bluray is a giveaway and the large barcode window is also a signature of a bootleg DB dvd/bluray.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Re: bootleg Dragon Ball Super DVDs and Blu-Rays?

Post by bernhard90 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Got a topic for this! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43610

My idea was that everyone puts their experience in one topic.