Obscure dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Obscure dubs

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm

This is a thread for obscure international dubs of Dragon Ball/Z/GT, which includes but is not limited to:

AB Groupe
Animax Asia
Arabic
Greek
Hebrew
Albanian
Hindi??????
Hungarian
5 episode Harmony Gold dub
Korean
Basque
Bang Zoom! Entertainment's DBS English dub
Chinese
Tagalog (Phillipines, I think)
Tamil
Galician
Thai
Turkish

and many more languages!
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Obscure dubs

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Most of those are non English foreign language dubs. How did you decide they were obscure?

-The Galician dub has its fair share of reruns on TV G and is usually included in Selectsvision's releases IIRC.
-I don't know how obscure the Arab dub is to Arab audiences, but I doubt it's that obscure, considering Arabic Super is officially streaming.
-The Albanian dub... (aside from most likely being a bootleg in its entirety)... I have little idea about, but I suspect it's fairly well preserved by its audience at the very least.

And those were just a few examples. You can only call a dub obscure if it's obscure to the dub's language audience.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm This is a thread for obscure international dubs of Dragon Ball/Z/GT
What about them? Are you just listing them? Is there something in particular you want to discuss about them? Do you have questions about them yourself?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm This is a thread for obscure international dubs of Dragon Ball/Z/GT
What about them? Are you just listing them? Is there something in particular you want to discuss about them? Do you have questions about them yourself?
It's a thread for discussing what people know about these obscure dubs and their experiences with it, and also to shed some light on these dubs to bring them out of obscurity. For example, the French dub is mostly known for its ear-bleeding mess of an opening, the Arabic dub is known for its opening sounding like a national anthem and all the censorship, the Funimation dub is known for the Bruce Faulconer score and Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation, the Portuguese dub is known for being....t e r r i b l e, and the Malaysian dub is known for being so bad it's good.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:41 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm This is a thread for obscure international dubs of Dragon Ball/Z/GT, which includes but is not limited to:

AB Groupe
Worth noting, because I've learned not long ago that contrary to popular belief AB Groupe didn't fund or create any of the alternate English dubs from the early 2000s, they only distributed them in the UK, Ireland and Netherlands.

So maybe change this listing to:
Westwood Media (former producing arm of Ocean Studios) Dragon Ball Z dub
Blue Water Studios Dragon Ball dub
Blue Water Studios Dragon Ball GT dub
"Big Green" Dragon Ball movies
"Big Green" Dragon Ball Z movies
"Big Green" Dragon Ball Z specials
"Big Green" Dragon Ball GT special

All these dubs vary in their rarities. For example Westwood Z episodes and clips are easy to find, and to a lesser extent the Blue Water dubs due to TV recordings. The Canadian edits are also harder to come across than the UK ones. Big Green videos are also easy enough to find, and all were released on home video except DB movies 1-3 and the GT special, so those are noticeably rarer.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:17 pm Most of those are non English foreign language dubs. How did you decide they were obscure?

-The Galician dub has its fair share of reruns on TV G and is usually included in Selectsvision's releases IIRC.
-I don't know how obscure the Arab dub is to Arab audiences, but I doubt it's that obscure, considering Arabic Super is officially streaming.
-The Albanian dub... (aside from most likely being a bootleg in its entirety)... I have little idea about, but I suspect it's fairly well preserved by its audience at the very least.

And those were just a few examples. You can only call a dub obscure if it's obscure to the dub's language audience.
The Arabic dub started in 2003 and to this day, Spacetoon has still not asked Venus Centre (the people who dub DBZ in Arabic) to complete the dubs for OG Dragon Ball, DBZ and DBZ Kai.

THE ARABS ARE DOOMED TO BE STUCK WITH THE HELLISH PRODUCT FOREVER!!!!!

GT was never done from what I know, and Super has been being dubbed in 2020. Dragonball Evolution ( :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: ) was released in 2009, and DBS: Broly was released in the Arab countries between January-February 2019.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:36 am

You should not call something "obscure" when it's only alien to the English-speaking world. It is an expression of ethnocentricity.

That being said, the most "obscure" existence among DB dubs must be the Cambodian version. The only source I've ever found was a blog post made by a Japanese member of some sort of a humanitarian aid project. We're not even sure whether it is an authentic dub or a simple voice over like the Polish version. The post said that it indeed had been presented in the Khmer language and had heavy censorship in the Freeza fight. The blog author seemed to be thinking that it is the bloody history during the Khmer Rouge era that led to today's strict censorship of violence on Cambodian TV. It was written in a serious tone, so from what I read, it seemed trustworthy.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm

I meant obscure as "hardly known to most of the Dragon Ball fandom. I can bet that a good portion of the DBZ fandom only knows about the Ocean, Funimation, Spanish, Kai, and original Japanese versions of the show. I'm trying to gain more info on these dubs so that people can learn more about the international versions of Dragon Ball, whether they're a gift from God (original Japanese and Kai) or if they're straight up 💩💩💩💩💩 (Malaysian, Portuguese, Arabic, and French).

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:27 pm

Anyone familiar with the French TV show Code Lyoko? Because the Big Green dub cast and the English cast for Code Lyoko have a crap-ton of overlap.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm I meant obscure as "hardly known to most of the Dragon Ball fandom. I can bet that a good portion of the DBZ fandom only knows about the Ocean, Funimation, Spanish, Kai, and original Japanese versions of the show. I'm trying to gain more info on these dubs so that people can learn more about the international versions of Dragon Ball, whether they're a gift from God (original Japanese and Kai) or if they're straight up 💩💩💩💩💩 (Malaysian, Portuguese, Arabic, and French).
Again you’re basing this off being an English speaking fan who engages with other English speaking fans.

A Dragon Ball fan in France wouldn’t consider the French dub obscure for example.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:17 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:41 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm This is a thread for obscure international dubs of Dragon Ball/Z/GT, which includes but is not limited to:

AB Groupe
Worth noting, because I've learned not long ago that contrary to popular belief AB Groupe didn't fund or create any of the alternate English dubs from the early 2000s, they only distributed them in the UK, Ireland and Netherlands.

So maybe change this listing to:
Westwood Media (former producing arm of Ocean Studios) Dragon Ball Z dub
Blue Water Studios Dragon Ball dub
Blue Water Studios Dragon Ball GT dub
"Big Green" Dragon Ball movies
"Big Green" Dragon Ball Z movies
"Big Green" Dragon Ball Z specials
"Big Green" Dragon Ball GT special

All these dubs vary in their rarities. For example Westwood Z episodes and clips are easy to find, and to a lesser extent the Blue Water dubs due to TV recordings. The Canadian edits are also harder to come across than the UK ones. Big Green videos are also easy enough to find, and all were released on home video except DB movies 1-3 and the GT special, so those are noticeably rarer.
The one actual statement on the matter from someone involved in the Big Green dub indicates they were the direct product of AB.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/me ... /comments/

"AB was in a hurry and we kind of just showed up and ripped through them."

And it's really the answer that makes the most sense. They were done fast, cheap and in AB's Native France as opposed to outsourcing to Canada or anywhere else.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:02 am

AB Groupe produced the Alternative “English” DBZ films. They only distributed the Westwood dub.

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:13 pm

There's a few really out-there dubs in this video, but it's hard to say if any of them are real or not, especially the Jisieno clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDeqvaN_fU
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:21 am

The Iron Fjord wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:13 pm There's a few really out-there dubs in this video, but it's hard to say if any of them are real or not, especially the Jisieno clips:
What the hell is Jisieno?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:00 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:21 am
The Iron Fjord wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:13 pm There's a few really out-there dubs in this video, but it's hard to say if any of them are real or not, especially the Jisieno clips:
Wow. Just...wow. That dub is...wow.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:28 am

AB Groupe
Animax Asia
Arabic
Greek
Hebrew
Albanian
Hindi??????
Hungarian
5 episode Harmony Gold dub
Korean
Basque
Bang Zoom! Entertainment's DBS English dub
Chinese
Tagalog (Phillipines, I think)
Tamil
Galician
Thai
Turkish

and many more languages!
Do you count dubs that dubbed movies only?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:32 am

Has to be a troll. Look at all the versions it's supposedly dubbed in.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:37 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:32 am
Has to be a troll. Look at all the versions it's supposedly dubbed in.
Yeah, there is, like, jackshit info on the internet about this "Jisieno" thing. Maybe it's a parent and child pulling a sick trick?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:23 pm

The DBZ Vendar dub maybe?

And the Hindi dub, there are videos online, but are only fandubs that use the CD Music

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:19 pm

https://lostmediawiki.com/Dragon_Ball_( ... ies;_2006)

That Animax dub is definitely up there.