Your opinion about Dragon Ball AI Project (DBAI)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Your opinion about Dragon Ball AI Project (DBAI)

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 pm

Do you think this work evolves what was done in Dragon Box? How do you deal with it? Is the absence of grains affecting quality? Is there another similar but better project?

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Re: Your opinion about Dragon Ball AI Project (DBAI)

Post by Trachta10 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:02 am

I think there is a lot of loss of detail

right a cel, center the selecta vision blu-ray, left project ai

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:49 am

and it also looks very blue for me

Kai

Project AI

Dragon Box

Selecta Vision Blu-Ray

my attempt to correct the colors

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Its an interesting concept and I can see it come into play when we surpass 4k. While its not true to source (it's essentially redrawing), I think this would of been perfect for Kai as it does give the show a more modern look.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:08 pm

As mentioned above, the colors are overly blue and a lot of detail is destroyed. The lines look "sharp" but it's very unnatural, and in many cases the background elements are blurred even more than what you see on FUNi Z releases.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:02 pm

I dunno, it looks a bit flat based on the frames posted here
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 am

It reminds me a lot of FUNi remasters, it looks superficially "clean" and "HD" on the surface...and then you look at it for more than 2 seconds and you realize there is 0 detail.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:07 am

Seeing it in motion gave me a headache, AI has come so far in recent years but still has a ways to go until it is producing something worthwhile without large investment.

Individual stills of certain shots will look admittedly 'fine' when AI upscaled, but when you're dealing with far away objects or backgrounds the results are all over the place.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Yeah I can't say anything unique here. DB AI Project is hot flaming garbage and it should never be taken seriously. It's no better than the swill Funimation has pumped out onto shelves over the years.

Also for your own sake don't get involved with the people that surround the project , and unironically support it. They are a real "Unique" bunch of people for sure. The creators in particular are the kind who do not take criticism too well.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Looks very smudgy. Not very good, if you ask me. Certainly a downgrade over the Dragon Boxes and DVD singles.

AI upscaling tech can produce some impressive results (look at what Discotek are doing with AstroRes), but the tech is still difficult to get good results out of, and I don't think any amateur project will be getting good results for several years at least. Maybe you'll see the odd still frame that'll look somewhat impressive, but I'd be very surprised to see even half an episode done to any good standard, let alone 508 episodes.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:37 am

As someone deep in the world of AI and synthetic media, this seems like fairly bogstandard upscaling.

I'll be infinitely more impressed when we get the GAN that can "downscale" Super, redrawing everything to give it that fuzzy 80s/90s cel feel.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 am

There seems to be way too much blue in the image and I can't stand it. It doesn't look good at all and makes me wonder if the monitor used for this project was even calibrated properly. To top it off it looks like it suffers from the Funimation problem of looking artificially sharp but it lacks detail and it would be an eyesore to look at in motion as this fake sharpness usually gives me a headache. I really don't understand how this looks great to anyone?

AI upscaled DB can look great in theory and it has potential but I doubt anyone would be willing to give that type of project the time and effort that it deserves for a really long time.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am

It would be perfect for BD version of Blue Bricks :P

Speaking of Kai, remember those reanimated scenes? Hard to believe it's been almost 13 years
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 am

coola wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am It would be perfect for BD version of Blue Bricks :P

Speaking of Kai, remember those reanimated scenes? Hard to believe it's been almost 13 years
Jesus Christ, what is that?! What release is that from?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 am
coola wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am It would be perfect for BD version of Blue Bricks :P

What? Is there something wrong with it? Looks fine to me.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 am

What? Is there something wrong with it? Looks fine to me.
The blurry tree trunk and greenery behind Goku in the bottom frame have been replaced with a nondescript green smear. Detail has been directly removed. Some detail has been removed in the top frame as well, though the bottom one is definitely worse.
Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:37 am I'll be infinitely more impressed when we get the GAN that can "downscale" Super, redrawing everything to give it that fuzzy 80s/90s cel feel.
I opened this thread hoping it was going to be something along the lines of this, honestly. I'm sure that in the future we'll be able to use an AI on the anime to change its style, "fix" it if there's poor art/animation, or maybe even generate whole new scenes from scratch, but I guess we're not there quite yet.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 pm

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/kai/eps-001/ Those comparision screenshots were made when Kai first aired :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Kai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdOlPI6FCw

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:49 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Kai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdOlPI6FCw
Ah, I see. At least it is not a proper release of the whole show.