Which other story would you like to see re-imagined by Toriyama?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Which other story would you like to see re-imagined by Toriyama?

Post by Yuji » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:02 pm

Toriyama's version of Broly opened a door for old and/or non-Toriyama penned stories to be appropriated into the main continuity. Some fans now argue that the Granola arc seems to be re-envisioned or rebooted version of GT's Baby arc, but whether or not that is confirmed, which arc or individual story in Dragon Ball's expanded multiverse would Kanzenshuu like Toriyama to rewrite for Super? Or which elements from additional material would you like to see incorporated into the Super setting?

Personally, I'd like to see how Toriyama would handle one of Heroes' more ambitious, large scale projects, considering Toriyama's preference for self-contained, character-driven short stories; it would be interesting to see if he can pull of such a large scale story arc again, perhaps with Toyotaro's assistance considering his knack for remembering details, side-character usage and lore continuity. Alternatively, I think M13 would perhaps fit Toriyama's sensibilities the most out of the old Toei projects (the original three DB movies too, but I don't see how they could be incorporated into Super without taking a step back int he timeline), considering the reduced cast, and the emphasis on the relationship between Trunks and Tapion.

Fable

Re: Which other story would you like to see re-imagined by Toriyama?

Post by Fable » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:11 pm

The Shadow Dragon arc of GT. Its end could be the removal of the Dragon Balls as a consequence of the cast's over excessive use of them similar to the finale of GT, since there is nothing in EoZ which can suggest the Dragon Balls are still around.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:23 pm

Not necessarily by Toriyama. Chances are he might/could/would screw things up just as anyone or anything else. That said:

• Janemba •

More of him please. The only one fit/worthy to get a "reboot". His design is great, so keep it that way. He's the character with the best techniques, so keep that. He only lacks personality. That's where he would benefit from the reboot. Let us see what else Janemba can bring to the table, now that there is a Multiverse, his powers can be greatly enhanced. His reality manipulation can be deadly. Well, basically, Janemba has the potential to be the greatest and most feared opponent.

• Alternate dimension/Heroes •

Same what you said. I'd like to see this concept beyond Heroes too. Probably even in other games too. Of course, with each medium doing its own spin on the subject. This is the hot story now, the most popular media out there are dealing with it, so it'd be great that Dragon Ball would also adopt it (besides Heroes).

• Dragon Ball Online •

It's high time now for the ending of the series and all its content to be adapted and brought to everyone's attention. They would certainly change things, but as long as they keep certain core elements, I think it'll be fine.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:58 pm

I suppose I would like to see his take on Baby.
However, considering he has a 50/50 chance of screwing it up, I don't hold much faith.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:05 pm

At this point, I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing his take on Cooler. Since Freeza is now a recurring character, they could get some mileage out of actually showing the dynamic these two characters have, which is something Movie 5 only vaguely hinted at. He’s also the most popular Toei villain outside of Broly, so he’d be an obvious choice.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Definitely the Universal Conflict arc from DBHeroes. I'm not saying Toriyama should recycle the story and powerscaling (or lack thereof), but he could recycle some of the character concepts and basic plot points, specifically:

- The return of previous villain Zamasu and introduction of new villains like Cumber (ancient evil Saiyan, could tie into Yamoshi lore), the two "Baby-like" twins (could tie into Tsufurian lore), and Hearts, a ningen who seeks to overthrow Zeno for perfectly valid reasons.

- The idea of a "universal conflict", which is very appealing, especially since Super introduced multiple universes. Why must the action remain stuck in U7? Why can't some fights take place in U6 or in U11? Would that not spice things up? That way you can also bring back iconic fan-favourites like Jiren, Toppo, and the U6 Saiyans.

That's pretty much it, but I'd say that these two concepts are enough to make an interesting arc. The problem is that Heroes is pretty trash despite these good concepts, but I'm sure Toriyama would be able to make them work well.
And since the Broly movie proves Toriyama is paying attention to the filler stuff invented by Toei and is willing to bring them into canon Dragon Ball, I am actually optimistic that at least some of these concepts will appear in a future arc... if anything at least the idea of a villain like Hearts who wants to dethrone Zeno.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Hire Dragon

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:22 pm

I'm not so hyped about Toriyama re-imagining existing stories. I mean, look what happened with Minus, Goku's kind heart ended up being an hereditary thing instead of his distinctive earthling trait.

On the other hand, Broly got definitely upgraded, slightly if you will, but he was not stuck in the same repetitive note like before. So, it seems to me that left by his own devices (and this applies to the original manga as well) he tends to drop the ball, but with Toyo by his side I would like them to re-tell the Shadow Dragons arc. Toriyama can give that arc the humour it never got from Toei.

From GT, I only see that worth saving, I've never cared much about the tsufuru and their stupid revenge plan.

From the movies:
-Not Cooler, I think we've got enough Freeza race members. Maybe if he isn't his brother, because more family members would start to look like crap. Specially if his forgotten brother will be blue tier at the very least.
-Turles I never cared for either.
-Bojack I think has part of himself in Moro. He was "released" because of the death (or close death) of a previous villain.

-Janemba... yes. The big bad but from the afterlife, that sounds interesting enough.
-Hirudegan... nah. Kaijus aren't my thing.

SDBH: nothing in particular, but the demon realm stuff interests me. Dabura, Mira, Towa... I'd say including the Demon Realm into the main series is what I would like the most.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:41 pm

Feel like adding some honorable mentions that I would like to see "re-imagined" (not necessarily by Toriyama):

• Tsufuru and all its lore •

We don't have wars in Dragon Ball. In fact, we don't have anything even resembling it. So depicting the Saiyans vs Tsufurujins war would be cool. I do think Tsufurujins actually managed to put up a good fight against them, so it wouldn't be boring to watch. It could gives us more about their society, we could also see more about the Saiyans (maybe even an younger Bardock and King Vegeta, if they existed back then). Plenty of cool stuff may come out of it.

• Shadow Dragons saga •

The only reason I would want this one to be revisited is if Toriyama, Toei, Toyotaro or whoever is in charge went and watched Avatar. I'd like to see at least four dragons properly using the elements. How spectacular that would be!? Tons of great techniques inspired by the greatest TV show ever.
This saga would make Dende deactivate the Dragon Balls, as established by Dragon Ball Online, also leading to its events.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 am

None.

It’s moderately disrespectful to the original creators, work for hire though their characters and concepts may have been, and while I do like the Broly we got, that’s a thought in the back of my mind I don’t need and wouldn’t have were Toriyama just to churn out unexpected antagonists and allies of his own imagining instead. More Jirens, less Coolas, please. (Assuming DBS must continue.)

The Tsufruians are at least conceptually his, but I can’t say I’d be excited in any way to see them show up in Super, as I’d prefer the series look back less.

My one exception would be Towa/Mira/Fu, as they’re Toriyama concepts (though Towa not a Toriyama design), they’re weird and goofy, they have no firmly established single story to begin with, and they could be brought in without change. They feel the most like DB-proper villains out of all of the ancillary ones, mostly because ... they’re already just really goofy, as mentioned, reflective of their Toriyama origin. (Towa marries her evil robot husband.) You could do a seriously whacky third Trunks arc with them, given both an ally and villains with the ability to freely time-travel.

I have absolutely no idea what people see in Janemba as a unique concept worth revisiting. He’s already been in DB proper since 1994—as long as Boo has.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:50 am

None, as if I want to see those concepts, I'll simply watch the material they originally appeared in. I'm interested in new content for new content, not repackaged old content pretending to be new. It also doesn't help that the 4 times Toriyama revisited old concepts (Bardock, Freeza, Future Trunks, & Broly), the results were worse than they were in their original material.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 am

Bojack and his crew, i love their designs.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:50 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:50 am None, as if I want to see those concepts, I'll simply watch the material they originally appeared in. I'm interested in new content for new content, not repackaged old content pretending to be new. It also doesn't help that the 4 times Toriyama revisited old concepts (Bardock, Freeza, Future Trunks, & Broly), the results were worse than they were in their original material.
Agreed. Reusing those old concepts is using nostalgia as a crutch in lieu of crafting a new and interesting story.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Considering the best part of DBS:Broly were scenes before Frieza destroyed planet Vegeta, i'd say saiyans vs tsufruians war could even happen as a past story movie rather than something taking place in current events like hypothetical Baby reboot. They could end that movie with some kind of Baby easter egg either leaving a gate open for a reboot or as a followup to GT events. I don't like Toriyama's version of Broly at all, so him rebooting Baby would probably ruin him as well imo. Would probably end up as Goku's friend just like Broly or we would get another Zamasu case with someone who believes he is doing something good and can't admit that he is just evil, with the difference that he would probably get pointless redemption just like Broly. Best part of him was that he never pretended to be good, yet had something to actually justify his actions, to some degree at least. Besides, new stories are always more welcome to see than old ones. I don't like characters recurring when we can have something new like with Moro which ended up to be the best arc of Super despite getting worse and worse with every chapter, from really good at start, to completely awful at its conclusion.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Dragon Ball FighterZ storyline.