What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:15 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am People still find anime/videogames weird and for nerds? In 2021? Can't be.
You would be surprised at just how many people are still extremely media negative and will refuse to watch pretty much anything that's not the news, romcoms, reality TV or maybe a super gritty "realistic" superhero movie.
I wouldn't lump in realistic superhero films alongside those other things as you also get a lot of idiots whinging over those films too, like when "Joker" came out there were all those insipid thinkpieces from so-called "progressives" that expressed concern that the film would encourage actual real life violence, it was surreal to see the same people that once mocked moral guardians for believing that DOOM contributed to Columbine unironically acting exactly like them with that asinine "oh won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!" bullcrap. I swear all of those thinkpieces looked like they could've been written by Jack Thompson himself, and they all looked even more stupid when the film came and went and not a single violent incident happened at any screening of it. Almost if is the type of film has no correlation to whether or not violent incidents will occur, after all two people got shot and killed at a screening for the comedy "Trainwreck" and one guy got stabbed in the neck with a meat thermometer at a showing for Shutter Island overseas.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 am They give you grief for being a big fan...but not out of ignorance? Then what do they give you grief for being a Dragon Ball fan for if not ignorance?
Sure I guess there's some ignorance to it in that some of them never tried to seriously sit and watch it but again, it's not like they're disowning me because of a damn cartoon.

It's more so just "oh hey there's Krump with his stupid DBZ shit again" and I just retort with a " oh fuck you" and I'll mock something that they like.. It's never been anything serious.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 am

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:15 pm
Ringworm128 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am People still find anime/videogames weird and for nerds? In 2021? Can't be.
You would be surprised at just how many people are still extremely media negative and will refuse to watch pretty much anything that's not the news, romcoms, reality TV or maybe a super gritty "realistic" superhero movie.
I wouldn't lump in realistic superhero films alongside those other things as you also get a lot of idiots whinging over those films too, like when "Joker" came out there were all those insipid thinkpieces from so-called "progressives" that expressed concern that the film would encourage actual real life violence, it was surreal to see the same people that once mocked moral guardians for believing that DOOM contributed to Columbine unironically acting exactly like them with that asinine "oh won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!" bullcrap. I swear all of those thinkpieces looked like they could've been written by Jack Thompson himself, and they all looked even more stupid when the film came and went and not a single violent incident happened at any screening of it. Almost if is the type of film has no correlation to whether or not violent incidents will occur, after all two people got shot and killed at a screening for the comedy "Trainwreck" and one guy got stabbed in the neck with a meat thermometer at a showing for Shutter Island overseas.
It was mostly journalists and critics who kept saying that. I'm talking more about average Joe and Betty from the suburbs or city.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:22 pm

My thoughts are I could care less what anyone thinks of what I watch and like. Why should I? because they aren't going to care what I think of things they like? :roll: I'm not sure how old you are(I'm 31) but trust me, The sooner you stop worrying about everyone else and what they think, the better. I'll actually share a funny story with you. I had a friend who's mother was very! religious. Now, that in and of itself I guess isn't bad if that's what you're into, but she went to the extreme with him. Her church going friends heard DBZ and Pokemon cards were made by atheists and satanic cults,(Because Atheists are like satanic cults to her? lol)(This was the late 90s? maybe early 00s?) and She made him take the cards and rip them up 1 by 1 and throw em in the trash. LOL :crazy: :crazy: I always felt bad for him but I would have nevvvvver done anything like that. if someone would have did that to me I would have equally tore something up of value. lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:29 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:22 pm My thoughts are I could care less what anyone thinks of what I watch and like. Why should I? because they aren't going to care what I think of things they like? :roll: I'm not sure how old you are(I'm 31) but trust me, The sooner you stop worrying about everyone else and what they think, the better. I'll actually share a funny story with you. I had a friend who's mother was very! religious. Now, that in and of itself I guess isn't bad if that's what you're into, but she went to the extreme with him. Her church going friends heard DBZ and Pokemon cards were made by atheists and satanic cults,(Because Atheists are like satanic cults to her? lol)(This was the late 90s? maybe early 00s?) and She made him take the cards and rip them up 1 by 1 and throw em in the trash. LOL :crazy: :crazy: I always felt bad for him but I would have nevvvvver done anything like that. if someone would have did that to me I would have equally tore something up of value. lol
Some friends of my parents were also like that, they were on that whole "OMG Harry Potter is EEEEEEEEEVIL!" kick, which struck me as weird as they always seemed nice to me whenever I interacted with them as a kid, guess some people are crazy in ways that aren't immediately obvious.

Forcing your kids to destroy their own thing is just flat-out terrible parenting :evil: , if I was that kid I would've just given my cards to a friend to hold on to and then destroyed something of hers instead as payback :lol: . Being religious in itself isn't bad, but when you take it to the extreme and start trying to force your own crazy values on everyone else(be it through promoting anti-LGBTQ measures, promoting white supremacy or anti-abortion agendas, which a lot of Evangelical churches do) then you've lost the plot.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:32 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:22 pm My thoughts are I could care less what anyone thinks of what I watch and like. Why should I? because they aren't going to care what I think of things they like? :roll: I'm not sure how old you are(I'm 31) but trust me, The sooner you stop worrying about everyone else and what they think, the better. I'll actually share a funny story with you. I had a friend who's mother was very! religious. Now, that in and of itself I guess isn't bad if that's what you're into, but she went to the extreme with him. Her church going friends heard DBZ and Pokemon cards were made by atheists and satanic cults,(Because Atheists are like satanic cults to her? lol)(This was the late 90s? maybe early 00s?) and She made him take the cards and rip them up 1 by 1 and throw em in the trash. LOL :crazy: :crazy: I always felt bad for him but I would have nevvvvver done anything like that. if someone would have did that to me I would have equally tore something up of value. lol
Wow poor guy :shock:. I'd have been gutted.

And yeah you're right, enjoy whatever you happen to enjoy and screw what anyone else thinks :thumbup: .

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:29 pm
Some friends of my parents were also like that, they were on that whole "OMG Harry Potter is EEEEEEEEEVIL!" kick, which struck me as weird as they always seemed nice to me whenever I interacted with them as a kid, guess some people are crazy in ways that aren't immediately obvious.

Forcing your kids to destroy their own thing is just flat-out terrible parenting :evil: , if I was that kid I would've just given my cards to a friend to hold on to and then destroyed something of hers instead as payback :lol: . Being religious in itself isn't bad, but when you take it to the extreme and start trying to force your own crazy values on everyone else(be it through promoting anti-LGBTQ measures, promoting white supremacy or anti-abortion agendas, which a lot of Evangelical churches do) then you've lost the plot.
That's funny you brought up Harry Potter. I actually forgot about that when people started freaking out over the popularity of it. haha It's like calm downnnn...they're not burning people at the stake. but that's why I just keep to myself a lot of the times instead of fighting with everyone. I can actually accept when I'm wrong on things and change instantly, but I wouldn't let people dictate what I can and can't watch and do.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm

You could have told her that they were actually made by Japanese people, who are more likely to be Buddhist or Shinto... then again to most fundamentalist Christians those are all the same as Satanism anyway.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm
You could have told her that they were actually made by Japanese people, who are more likely to be Buddhist or Shinto... then again to most fundamentalist Christians those are all the same as Satanism anyway.
I actually wasn't there when it happened :P He didn't even tell us about it until we were asking about what cards he had to trade around on.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Not parents, but my wife (who's pretty geeky herself but isn't a huge anime person) views Dragon Ball as the worst thing ever and admits her perception of it comes from obnoxious Dragon Ball fans that would show up on the forum she frequented back in her teen years. I personally think she's being unfair since she's also admittedly never watched the show or read the manga (and never will), but she's not into action-oriented stuff to begin with so she's fine writing it off as a dumb action anime.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Well, Dragon Ball is dumb...it's just an enjoyable dumb. Toriyama is such a weird person that he makes interesting comics that are an interesting way to study his interesting personality.

I would personally just not bother with trying to convince anyone else to like what you like. If you can't convince a friend to give something a shot then that's all there really is to it. I guess it might mean something more when you're a child but I also suggest, like, just ignoring that illusion. Many children are a special kind of cruel and when you are a child, too, all one can do is just hope they'll grow out of it while ignoring their cruelty.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:29 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:22 pm My thoughts are I could care less what anyone thinks of what I watch and like. Why should I? because they aren't going to care what I think of things they like? :roll: I'm not sure how old you are(I'm 31) but trust me, The sooner you stop worrying about everyone else and what they think, the better. I'll actually share a funny story with you. I had a friend whose mother was very! religious. Now, that in and of itself I guess isn't bad if that's what you're into, but she went to the extreme with him. Her church-going friends heard DBZ and Pokemon cards were made by atheists and satanic cults,(Because Atheists are like satanic cults to her? lol)(This was the late 90s? maybe early 00s?) and She made him take the cards and rip them up 1 by 1 and throw em in the trash. LOL :crazy: :crazy: I always felt bad for him but I would have nevvvvver done anything like that. if someone would have done that to me I would have equally torn something up of value. lol

Forcing your kids to destroy their own thing is just flat-out terrible parenting :evil: , if I was that kid I would've just given my cards to a friend to hold on to and then destroyed something of hers instead as payback :lol: . Being religious in itself isn't bad, but when you take it to the extreme and start trying to force your own crazy values on everyone else(be it through promoting anti-LGBTQ measures, promoting white supremacy, or anti-abortion agendas, which a lot of Evangelical churches do) then you've lost the plot.
Actually, me and the boys in 3rd grade used to play the Pokemon card game, but our Korean American teacher (Ms. Kim, still my fave) said no more Pokemon and took them away. We had like, a huge stash of Pokemon cards, and still haven't gotten them back to this day.

So in 6th grade (about 2 years ago, I'm 13), me and my friends came up with Pokemobs, which was Pokemon with Minecraft mobs, and we'd come up with our own new mobs to play with. I created Broly, LSSJ3 Broly, Great Ape Broly, SSJ4 Gogeta, Goku, SSJ Goku, Kaioken Goku, Vegeta, Great Ape Vegeta, and Gotenks cards, and my friends made other Minecraft mobs and their variations. Sadly, the game was canceled, and my Great Ape Broly card is the last surviving card. (Jesus Christ, I was a tad bit excessive on the Brolys and Gokus)

Do you guys think I should revive the Pokemobs series under a new name with Dragon Ball characters in place of Minecraft mobs? Or should it stay as nothing more than a relic of the years before Covid?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:30 pm Not parents, but my wife (who's pretty geeky herself but isn't a huge anime person) views Dragon Ball as the worst thing ever and admits her perception of it comes from obnoxious Dragon Ball fans that would show up on the forum she frequented back in her teen years. I personally think she's being unfair since she's also admittedly never watched the show or read the manga (and never will), but she's not into action-oriented stuff to begin with so she's fine writing it off as a dumb action anime.

My parents can care less. If I don't hurt anyone with liking DB then its all good.

My girlfriend was similar but I was lucky she took a chance. She's an anime person but not much of a Shonen fan. She cares less about power levels and silly hair colours but more about character interacting with one another. So when we first meet and started to watch the show (out of respect for me since DB was coming back with BOG) she admitted she thought the show was dumb, for "boys" and just a bunch of people screaming with no substance.
So when we fully watched DB/DBZ she developed a certain respect for the show. Liking when characters are talking and have development but... will rolls her eyes at the fighting/charging/screaming. You should see the big eye roll when I talk about the differences from the Japanese version to Funi dub, Ocean dub, all the way to Kai lol!

I've tried to sit her down to watch Super when it first aired but I could barely do that myself so she wrote if off completely...

I did get her to go to the theatre with me to watch Super Broly lol. She really enjoyed about 2/3rds of the movie until it became all non-stop nonsense action.

So while Dragonball is a battle anime with inconsistent writing and many plot wholes I feel she respects it was a product of its time and has attachment for few of the characters. Really liking Kid Goku/ Kid Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta and Bulma. She even showed interest in GT because Pan peaked her interest but we never got around to it lol. More so she respects what DBZ has done for the anime community in North America/the world in the 90s when we were kids/teens and now proud to say she watched it.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 pm

I also created Super Gogeta and Vegito cards. (I am talking about the SSJ Gogeta from DBZ Movie 12)

Here is Pokemobs' old fighting system:

You open up your card, read out your attack, and then just keep attacking your opponent until their mob dies. Some mobs can transform into their charged or wither state (i.e Skeletons can transform into their Wither Skeleton forms, Creepers can transform into their Charged Creeper form, Slimes can transform into their Magma Cube form, etc.) which gives them special powers, like the Wither skill (your opponent loses health every turn), the Absorb skill (you take your opponent's card), and Self-Destruct (you explode yourself, causing lots of damage to your opponent and kills you in the process).

Here is the new fighting system:

You draw out your card, and there are 3 specials and 1 ultimate. There is a bar of ki to use attacks, a bar of health, and a bar that allows you to use ultimates when it's full. When it's your turn, you have 5 options:

Melee attack
Ki blast
Charge ki
Use a special
Use an ultimate

You win by reducing your opponent's health to zero.

Does it sound simple, and which one do you think sounds better in action?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Just wow, my parents were never like that with any anime i watched as a little kid. Not Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon or any of the other massive series on TV at the time.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:05 pm
Just wow, my parents were never like that with any anime i watched as a little kid. Not Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon or any of the other massive series on TV at the time.
Mine either, but when you live in the bible belt stuff like that comes with it. haha atleast around here in KY.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:38 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:05 pm
Mine either, but when you live in the bible belt stuff like that comes with it. haha atleast around here in KY.

Guess i'm lucky to have not been born and raised in that kind of life, where the things you're into are disapproved or shunned and though to be the unholy spawn of Satan or something. Plus of course my folks not being fanatically religious to the degree of the aforementioned friend's mother you mentioned above. Seriously, i was shocked when reading the above post about said friend though there are people like that who are overboard and intense with their religious beliefs on things which aren't seen as such by most others.

They never really objected to shows like all the above mentioned and such which i watched, now granted they found them a little odd looking at times which fair enough sometimes can be with particular things but certainly didn't react anywhere close to the level of your friend's mom ever.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm Well, Dragon Ball is dumb...it's just an enjoyable dumb. Toriyama is such a weird person that he makes interesting comics that are an interesting way to study his interesting personality.
I suppose. Not to get too into semantics, but I've never liked using the word "dumb" to describe Dragon Ball. I've always preferred calling it "simple" because "dumb" to me has a negative connotation that I don't think applies here.
I would personally just not bother with trying to convince anyone else to like what you like. If you can't convince a friend to give something a shot then that's all there really is to it. I guess it might mean something more when you're a child but I also suggest, like, just ignoring that illusion. Many children are a special kind of cruel and when you are a child, too, all one can do is just hope they'll grow out of it while ignoring their cruelty.
You're right, it just would be nice to have it the other way around is all.

And to clarify, there are plenty of TV shows and movies that we do both enjoy. Dragon Ball is just one of the ones where our tastes differ and can't be reconciled.
Shinsa wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:01 pm So when we fully watched DB/DBZ she developed a certain respect for the show. Liking when characters are talking and have development but... will rolls her eyes at the fighting/charging/screaming. You should see the big eye roll when I talk about the differences from the Japanese version to Funi dub, Ocean dub, all the way to Kai lol!
My wife would never acknowledge Dragon Ball in any positive context so you two are lightyears ahead of our situation as far as I'm concerned. And she doesn't care about the differences between versions either.

In fact, I mentioned in an old thread that people who don't think Dragon Ball is cool to begin with aren't going to be swayed by the changes the Z dub made. I had my wife in mind when I made that statement. It's all stupid shit to her regardless.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 am
Shinsa wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:01 pm So when we fully watched DB/DBZ she developed a certain respect for the show. Liking when characters are talking and have development but... will rolls her eyes at the fighting/charging/screaming. You should see the big eye roll when I talk about the differences from the Japanese version to Funi dub, Ocean dub, all the way to Kai lol!
My wife would never acknowledge Dragon Ball in any positive context so you two are lightyears ahead of our situation as far as I'm concerned. And she doesn't care about the differences between versions either.

In fact, I mentioned in an old thread that people who don't think Dragon Ball is cool to begin with aren't going to be swayed by the changes the Z dub made. I had my wife in mind when I made that statement. It's all stupid shit to her regardless.

My GF can careless as well, as long as the core story is there that's all that mattered for her. I gave her the choice as I like all versions of DB/DBZ and so we tried Japanese and English since she prefers Japanese dub for anime. But she opted to watch the version I grew up with as a kid, which was really nice because I have fond memories of the Ocean/Funi dub.
She was just rolling her eyes and laugh at me when I would say..."in the Japanese version he means to say this not that..." or "This attack is Genki Dama in the japanese version" or "his power level means this...." lol.

Dont get me wrong, she still thinks Dragonball is silly but just has a new respect and appreciation for it.
I dont blame your wife, Dragonball is a classic anime in our eyes but is now showing its age ontop of it not being a master class peice of writing to begin with. So its a tall order to get someone to watch a 200 plus episode show...It took my GF and I about 2 years to finish watch DB/DBZ because we would watch it on and off.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:05 pm

I'm already working on remaking the Pokemobs game with DB characters