Does anyone know who wrote the horrible ending in the goku black arc?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Does anyone know who wrote the horrible ending in the goku black arc?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:30 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:12 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:18 pm
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm Zamasu's rampage would've spanned throughout all time/timelines than just the multiverse
This is shown in the anime too btw, where Infinite Zamasu's energy is seen influencing the Present timeline from the time gateway Trunks and Black travelled through earlier, with Beerus and Whis even noting with concern that Zamasu is affecting multiple timelines.
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:22 pm Yeah I agree. For me the thing that urked me the most was in dying he became stronger than ever. To the point he's able to just take over the universe and it requires Zeno to destroy everything even the angels to stop. Just... really felt outta nowhere and nonsensical.
It's a pretty logical development actually.

Zamasu at that point was a soul without a body, a bodiless entity basically (he was immortal, so his "physical death" wouldn't send his immortal soul to the Afterlife) so he decided to take the fabric of the Cosmos as his "body".

It's meant to show just how twisted, arrogant, and ambitious he has become, to merge with the world itself, as well as attempting to become justice and order itself.
Well that's certainly one way to explain it and it does offer an explanation to something that confused me. I think I still do not care for it however your explanation is valid all the same.
That's not my explanation, it's the one given by the writers. Gowasu indeed explains that Zamasu survived thanks to his immortality and is trying to become one with the world itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhgxEQZ2Yw&t=104s

I mean, that's what Moro ends up doing too. The only difference is that Zamasu was more successful than Moro in pretty much everything, so he didn't take over a single planet but the entire Cosmos.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:30 am
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:12 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:18 pm

This is shown in the anime too btw, where Infinite Zamasu's energy is seen influencing the Present timeline from the time gateway Trunks and Black travelled through earlier, with Beerus and Whis even noting with concern that Zamasu is affecting multiple timelines.

It's a pretty logical development actually.

Zamasu at that point was a soul without a body, a bodiless entity basically (he was immortal, so his "physical death" wouldn't send his immortal soul to the Afterlife) so he decided to take the fabric of the Cosmos as his "body".

It's meant to show just how twisted, arrogant, and ambitious he has become, to merge with the world itself, as well as attempting to become justice and order itself.
Well that's certainly one way to explain it and it does offer an explanation to something that confused me. I think I still do not care for it however your explanation is valid all the same.
That's not my explanation, it's the one given by the writers. Gowasu indeed explains that Zamasu survived thanks to his immortality and is trying to become one with the world itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhgxEQZ2Yw&t=104s

I mean, that's what Moro ends up doing too. The only difference is that Zamasu was more successful than Moro in pretty much everything, so he didn't take over a single planet but the entire Cosmos.
You might be taking too literally what I meant by "your" haha. I didn't mean to imply that it was specifically yours just that you are the one telling me this in the current moment.

As for Moro I have no idea. I haven't read any of his arc.
We the ones

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon May 30, 2022 4:36 am

Trunks should've stayed in "our" world and be a part of the U7 Team for the Tournament of Power. Him wanting to restore his timeline with Super Dragon Balls and later changing his mind to restore universes erased during the tournament would be such a strong moment. Trunks is a character who always puts others before himself. After ToP, Time Patrol.
But that would have been too good for modern Dragon Ball, so no wonder Toriyama went with the crappiest option and arc ended like it ended.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 30, 2022 12:03 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:25 pmDBS Trunks becoming Time Patrol Trunks would have worked quite well thematically.
Trouser wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:36 amAfter ToP, Time Patrol. But that would have been too good for modern Dragon Ball, so no wonder Toriyama went with the crappiest option and arc ended like it ended.
We can't have too many nice things. We just had the return of Freeza, Vegetto and Trunks, everyone asked for them. Only natural some shit of the highest order was bound to happen to balance out all those nice things we got.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm

That ending was probably the worst ending in all of Dragon Ball, including the movie.
"Let's have Goku press a magic button to summon someone that gets rid of the bad guy."
No fight, no epic conclusion.

Great idea guys.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue May 31, 2022 1:41 pm

Jord wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm That ending was probably the worst ending in all of Dragon Ball, including the movie.
"Let's have Goku press a magic button to summon someone that gets rid of the bad guy."
But it was original. Having a conslusion like that to the darkest arc of Super was kinda funny.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 31, 2022 3:42 pm

I think both the Genki-Dama sword and Zeno erasing the Universe were cool stuff. The former may have come out of nowhere and a bit of explanation should've been given, but we got an alternative take on the Genki-Dama technique, an interesting one at that. The latter was, for the first time, a display of an ability never-before-seen in Dragon Ball, but one that was due to happen, as Dragon Ball has basically become an Eastern Marvel/DC by now (and taking more from that source would be greatly appreciated).

No epic fight, but not all fights needs to end in an epic conclusion, there are other kinds of "epic" (I'd argue that becoming the Universe is a big deal). Though, again, I must acknowledge that the execution would be even better, if the repercussions and aftermath had contributed to it, Trunks going to live in another timeline which there is already a version of himself there impacts negatively what should have been an "epic moment".

I still can't wrap my head around that decision, they literally had so many options to end the saga, so many things that could have been done... Why would they pick the worst decision of them all? :|
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue May 31, 2022 7:17 pm

I’ll say this, as far as the ending of the Future Trunks arc (I believe that’s the official name for it) is concerned, I’ve recently come to wonder what it would be like if Dragon Ball ended on more of a downer note. I’m talking something along the lines of that 2020 animated DC film Justice League Dark: Apocalypse War. An ending that’s just downright depressing and basically renders everything the characters went through over the course of the series to ultimately feel pointless.

Obviously, Dragon Ball would never commit to something like that, but it’s an interesting thought.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:14 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:17 pm I’ll say this, as far as the ending of the Future Trunks arc (I believe that’s the official name for it) is concerned, I’ve recently come to wonder what it would be like if Dragon Ball ended on more of a downer note. I’m talking something along the lines of that 2020 animated DC film Justice League Dark: Apocalypse War. An ending that’s just downright depressing and basically renders everything the characters went through over the course of the series to ultimately feel pointless.

Obviously, Dragon Ball would never commit to something like that, but it’s an interesting thought.
Well, that's the ending of the FT arc, isn't it?

All the sacrifices Trunks made in this saga and the Android saga, all the struggles and risks and dangers he went through, were ultimately futile, because his world was ultimately destroyed. That's why he apologizes to Future Gohan, saying clearly that he "failed".

Sure, they created a new timeline where Trunks and Mai can live, and in that timeline, they will stop Black and Zamasu before they can begin Project Zero Mortals. However, that timeline is merely a duplicate.

The Bulma, Gohan, kids, etc. Trunks knew and was trying to protect? They are all erased from existence. And obviously Trunks and Mai will have to live with duplicate of themselves, that in itself is the proof of their failure.

Even if Zamasu was erased too, in the end he completed Project Zero Mortals. His plan was to reduce the number of mortals in that timeline down to 0, and now there are indeed 0 mortals left in that timeline.

Can it not be said that Zamasu "won", in a way?

This must be the darkest ending in all of anime history.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:38 am

dva_raza wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:41 pm
Jord wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm That ending was probably the worst ending in all of Dragon Ball, including the movie.
But it was original. Having a conslusion like that to the darkest arc of Super was kinda funny.
I'm okay with something being less original if it isn't setup so poorly, in my opinion.

"funny" conclusions to serious moments just makes he whole arc seem like a joke and the finale is the punchline. However then again Super is...definitely different than the original series and it's not something I'll ever be able to get into, the anime at least, but eh to each their own.
We the ones

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:58 pm

They didn’t need Zeno to erase that timeline to show that he could do that when the tournament of power shows him doing that anyway which is why I hated the trucks arc ending his world was already bleak as it was he only had his mother before she was killed and Mai and unknowingly yajirobe and maybe chi chi ox king muten roshi oolong turtle and puar don’t know about if lunch was alive.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:38 am

Great idea guys.
...There were no fights in the climax of the Future Trunks arc?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:30 am

Cipher wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:38 am

Great idea guys.
...There were no fights in the climax of the Future Trunks arc?
The ending wasn't a fight, no.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:56 pm

I like the idea of a total mutliverse destruction at the end of it. Having Zeno save the day was cheap, but Zamasu became too powerful that there was no other choice. Zamasu's final form has a Giygas vibe to him which is better than what we got in the manga. I would still perfer to go to the timeline where Cell originally came from. Trunks is already dead in that timeline meaning that Bulma can still see her son again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:49 pm

I do feel like Toriyama's desire to go against the grain is a bit of a joykill sometimes. I think the Hope Sword was a really good ending for the anime arc and quite earned.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:06 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:49 pm I do feel like Toriyama's desire to go against the grain is a bit of a joykill sometimes. I think the Hope Sword was a really good ending for the anime arc and quite earned.
I second this. It should have ended right there.

I feel there was no need to bring Zamasu back again just to have his now "infinite" green ass erased by Zeno.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:49 pm I do feel like Toriyama's desire to go against the grain is a bit of a joykill sometimes. I think the Hope Sword was a really good ending for the anime arc and quite earned.
Completely agree. That would have been the best ending. At least we have the Trunks' Dramatic Finish in FighterZ in which he kills Zamasu.