900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Rocketman wrote:
simon_winter wrote:However, sometimes I get the impression that the most extreme hardcore fans won't be pleased by anything
Like I've said before, the thing could give them earthshaking orgasms whenever they touched it and they'd still whine about Goku's gi being the wrong shade of orange for one frame.
Cropping wouldn't be so bad if it gave me earthshattering orgasms.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 pm

SDHero wrote:
Hrm, where are you guys getting 6 seasons from? The current set certainly isn't based on any sort of season system from broadcast, it's just labeled as a "Season One" set, prolly so it looks comparable to other DVD sets on the market right now.

So let's look at it logically. There's 291 episodes in Dragonball Z. If the releases are gonna be somewhat similar in terms of episode count, we can divide that by 39, the current "Season One" box number. That comes out to 7.46, so you'd need at LEAST 8 releases to hold all the episodes. Add in moving episodes around to make better cut-off points for the boxes, and that's 9 releases easy. Funi could stretch it to 10, but I'd put my money on 9 sets being planned.
Or the final two sets could be the DBZ movies and TV specials.

Anyways, I bought my set last night, and I'm loving this so far.

An episode of the 80's TMNT + an episode of DBZ remastered = the best way to end a long day. :D
I also go by "veemonjosh".

MysticGogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MysticGogeta » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:40 pm

I just got mine today and since I grew up on the dub I'm pretty much going to watch that and maybe some of the Japanese episodes. But the color is much better and the packaging is pretty good, it's about the same as much TV Show Boxed Sets that are out there today. Now I need to wait for Videouniverse.com to have a cheap pre-order for Season 2.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm

Son Goku wrote:
Or the final two sets could be the DBZ movies and TV specials.

Anyways, I bought my set last night, and I'm loving this so far.

An episode of the 80's TMNT + an episode of DBZ remastered = the best way to end a long day. :D
It's possible, though they seem to have the movies still committed to same format as always, occassionally packaging them together. It's certainly possible they'll include the TV specials, though, if they're not planning to re-release them some other way, like if they do a seperate "movies" release after they finish DBZ.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:03 pm

"Newly revised english dialogue?"

Have they changed anything that was said in the UUE's?

So far I have heard no changes. I was hoping for some lines (see my previous post) would be changed.

And I really hope that for the Ginyu saga and onward they change the lines not just the VA's because most of the script is just painful.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:16 pm

Jappo, your name sounds an awful like the racist term "Jap". Considering this forum often dwells heavily into japanese culture, it is very easy to connect the two. But whatever the reason of your name, your posts are still very provoking and often demanding.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Hasn't it already been mentioned here on the forums that if you have a problem with someone, then you should simply PM that member and discuss it privately?

We've just gotten back on topic afterall, let's stop this.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:28 pm

How many times do I have to say to email billgates@microsoft.com if you have a problem with me.

That or PM me.

You look like a jackass when you try to find fault in everything I say or do in a forum.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15 pm

Someone wanted to know if Wal-Mart had it?

Yes they do, but at mine they were sold out. They were restocking things as I was walking around looking at other movies, but I didn't ask if they were getting more.

So by my assumption, if they carry it, it's either limited, or sold-out altogether.

Oh, it's $29.99 ;)
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:58 pm

This thread has gone waaay off-topic.

However I guess that is expected after nearly 900 posts.
"Newly revised english dialogue?"

Have they changed anything that was said in the UUE's?

So far I have heard no changes. I was hoping for some lines (see my previous post) would be changed.

And I really hope that for the Ginyu saga and onward they change the lines not just the VA's because most of the script is just painful.
Any thoughts?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:58 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
simon_winter wrote:However, sometimes I get the impression that the most extreme hardcore fans won't be pleased by anything
Like I've said before, the thing could give them earthshaking orgasms whenever they touched it and they'd still whine about Goku's gi being the wrong shade of orange for one frame.
What..would they be cropping?! :shock:
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:19 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Rocketman wrote: Like I've said before, the thing could give them earthshaking orgasms whenever they touched it and they'd still whine about Goku's gi being the wrong shade of orange for one frame.
What..would they be cropping?! :shock:
-Rick
You're right. Cropping an orgasm is bad. :?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:23 am

Can we please get back on topic.

Shouldn't we have any reviews or more video clips by now?

Busaiku

Post by Busaiku » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:28 am

Here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXYqKCA9qM
Looks pretty weird though.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:32 am

Rocketman wrote:
I can assure you that the wide screen is my only issue with the set. For now, I'll wait & see what comes up in the future before making any decision.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:44 am

So I finally caved in and bought the set today at best buy along with getting FFVI advance (best rpg ever!). I watched it for 5 minutes and was almost ready to return it.

Then I started watching a bit more and the set's starting to grow on me a bit. The saving grace is definitely the dub with the japanese music. I'm not a soundphile but the japanese score sounds really nice in 5.1 and this is definitely the dub that we should have gotten in 1996.

Everything's pretty much been said about the video and widescreen. I can probably swallow this set easier since I have the R2 singles for any video related stuff I want to do so owning this set is a novelty. However, I still feel sad for the people who are being duped into believing the widescreen is the "true" way to see dbz. So I hope FUNi considers the full screen possibility after our letter writing effort.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:47 am

So why exactly did you buy it? I thought you weren't going to in protest.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:52 am

Busaiku wrote:Here's a clip:
I've never seen this scene before. Where's the blood when she shot herself?

Seems to me you'd bleed if you did... lol

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:54 am

BrollysKin wrote:So why exactly did you buy it? I thought you weren't going to in protest.
I just walked past the anime aisle at best buy and couldn't resist. :x

This also happened with the first ultimate uncut after telling myself I wouldn't buy it.

raf235

Post by raf235 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:12 am

Busaiku wrote:Here's a clip:
The clip on Youtube looks horrible. I compared this scene with the Dragonbox one from Japan. And the colours are way off. The screen is stretched, goku looks thinner in the Funi clip. And of course the cropping, it's horrible. I don't know how you guys can buy this piece of crap. And you guys call yourself DBZ fans. just buy the dragonbox or don't buy anything at all. If you buy Funi's crap, your just supporting them to make more crap.