Times the villains are sympathetic?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Times the villains are sympathetic?

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Usually the bad guys in DB are nasty, vile, sadistic sorts who deserve whatever's coming.

That said, there's a few times their plights really get to you.

The one that does it most for me is Goku's second fight against Pilaf and Co., just after fighting Grandpa Gohan. Pilaf has done his research (his tail is his weak spot!), comes up with a competent plan (we'll immobilize, you grab his tail!), and Shu and Mai do the job perfectly...

...Except he doesn't have a tail anymore. He lost it about five minutes ago.

I can't help but feel sorry for them.

What about you guys?
Trunks & Goten forever

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 pm

I thought it was pretty sad when Freeza got chopped in half, I sort of felt sorry for him, but by the time he used the energy Goku gave him to attack him, all sympathy had dissapeared.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Watching Gohan, after going SS2, acting blood thirsty against Cell.

Of course, this was only for a minute or so.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:32 pm

I felt bad for Nappa. This guy was evil, but atleast he thought that partners had honor. & then Vegeta kills him. What really got me was when Nappa thanked Vegeta for helping him up. It made me feel bad for Nappa.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:36 pm

How about Mr.Buu! :( Poor guy just didn't know that killing was a bad thing...
You can't help but forgive mass genocide when the puppy licks his face...
:x Darn that Babidi and his horrible influence...

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 pm

Madam Woe! She was just a Mystical Sorceress chillin on the beach, and decided to do her friend Rita a favor, and then she got taken out... not by the megazord, but by the power blaster! :'( Such... potential!

Oh right, DBZ.

Mr. Buu definitely wins... he did some good things with his powers even before being turned by Mr. Savage (That is so going to stick for... five minutes...), and... Meep... if only he had learned before destroying 90% of the Earth's population...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:41 pm

I don't have any definite moments of sympathy for villains, but I do have moments for villains turned allies. :?Hmm..With that being said, I think for the sake of posting I'll consider the Vegeta still being a villian when he was killed by Freeza. He is a very proud man and to see him go out like that was pretty bad.

I'll also say Vegeta after his first fight with Goku. I mean he says "I can't move". I don't know where he was going with that: Was he saying it as a plea? I'm sure if the situation was reversed Vegeta wouldn't let anyone go on that call. OH! I have a good one: Dr. Gero in GT! I mean, look at his face when 17 is going to kill him...again..! :)
*This sounds like a Top 5 list..? It should be..:wink:
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:24 pm

I didn't feel sorry for Nappa, afterall he deserved it. And plus, if he lived, how could he go super saiyan with no hair?

I felt kinda sorry for Freeza when he got chopped in half. Not really.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 pm

I always rooted for the villains.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:40 pm

mAcChaos wrote:I always rooted for the villains.
I bet you're sad that they always lost :(
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:40 pm

Now that I think of it, unlike some other series, DB/DBZ didn't really have any sympathetic villains. Think I heard some people thought the Tsufurins in GT and that video game were.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:52 am

Super Sonic wrote:Now that I think of it, unlike some other series, DB/DBZ didn't really have any sympathetic villains.
I like that. It's a refreshing break from the "my father...never hugged me.. *sob*" 'villain'.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:59 am

Rocketman wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Now that I think of it, unlike some other series, DB/DBZ didn't really have any sympathetic villains.
I like that. It's a refreshing break from the "my father...never hugged me.. *sob*" 'villain'.
That's one of my favorite aspects of the series, too. Most of the major villains, save eventual reformers like Piccolo and Vegeta, are just plain scummy douchebags of the universe, who not only are you glad to see defeated, you're practically cheering "DO IT! DO IT! BLAST THE @$$HOLE INTO OBLIVION! DOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT!" to the heroes.

Or, at least I do.

It's straight-up GOOD vs. EVIL, and we all know which always ends up on top.

But to pick a villain with whom I'd like to sympathize, I'm going to be cliche and say Vegeta. Seeing his backstory explained and then his death scene via Freeza seals that one.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:21 am

I wouldn't say it's necessarily sympathy, but the bad guys are always so cool when they're on top. I loved the scene when Super Buu was giving Goku five seconds to choose somebody to fuse with, for instance. It's so awesome.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:04 am

I agree with mac, I often root for villains. They usually get the most badass lines and stuff. But, of course, they almost always either die or become good guys.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 pm

And sometimes they become good guys AND die!

But the most sympathic villains are easily Pilaf and company. XD They have those Team Rocket vibes... even though they predated Team Rocket.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:39 pm

First form cell when he gets destroyed by Trunks. He had no idea what was going on.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:22 pm

I actually felt a little sorry for Kid Buu as he was about to die. He was pushing back the Genki Dama like the little gangsta he was, but then Goku gets his energy back via the Dragon Balls, turn SSJ and takes control, but Goku delays delivering the final blow to make his little speech and while he's doing that we get a few shots of Buu desperately trying to push back the Genki Dama, but you can see on his face he knows his fucked. Even through he probably didn't mean this way, I always found it was oddly cruel (and badass) of Goku delaying the final blow like that (and naturally it's even longer in the anime), even if he was being complimentary and essentially wishing him to be reincarnated. A bizzarely wonderful scene. Toriyama always had the knack of doing badass major villian deaths (or defeat in Freeza's case on Namek).

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Now that I think of it, unlike some other series, DB/DBZ didn't really have any sympathetic villains. Think I heard some people thought the Tsufurins in GT and that video game were.
My word, Super Sonic. You didn't think the Crane Hermit was a sympathetic character during the 22nd Budokai? His little brother was killed, what's not to sympathize about?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:My word, Super Sonic. You didn't think the Crane Hermit was a sympathetic character during the 22nd Budokai? His little brother was killed, what's not to sympathize about?
My word, Dr. Casey. You somehow didn't realize this thread hadn't been replied to in OVER A YEAR?!

This forum has rules. Particularly Rule #2
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!