Two Dragon Box sets for sale on EBay

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:18 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Because the edits were idiotic?
Clearly it was from an alternate timeline wherein Goku fished out money rather than panties and somehow or other decided not to purchase panties with the sudden cash windfall, deciding that his digital underwear were already the maximum in comfort and that he could spend the money on things like Muten Roshi's "Hermit Club" license.

~Da Lemmy
I now have the strongest urge to go and write the timeline of a parallel Dragon Ball universe that departs from the main timeline by having Goku catch Oolong with a wad of bills instead of money, which causes that timeline to lead to the events of the movies and GT.

Maybe after I'm done with finals...

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Sure. DRAGONBALL IS FOR CHILDREN. There, I watched the clips and said that. Just because american parents are paranoid, that doesn't make it a show for adults.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:07 pm

Godo wrote:Look at these clips and then try to say Dragonball is for children:
Gah, how I hate to nitpick. But this is one of those subjects for me where I always feel as though I need to get in my two cents.

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Vegard, here. Despite that the show can and does become bloody and occasionally touches on mature themes like death, none of it is handled particularly seriously to the point where we can really say that DragonBall was intended strictly for an adult audience. With its colorful characters, oddball humor and (later) non-stop, over-the-top action, the show was in fact geared toward children, particularly young boys, and just so happens to be capable of being enjoyed by all ages.

Well, the original Japanese version, anyways.

And speaking for the third video, you can hardly use a FUNimation trailer as means to support the argument of DragonBall/Z/GT being an adult-oriented program. The hype with the Ultimate Uncut Special Edition was that those first 64 episodes were in fact being released unadulterated for the first time, and the advertising was dressed to appeal to the target demographic for American DBZ-- a demographic (and indeed the version catered TO said demographic) that is very different from what was its Japanese counterpart. I'm sure that I don't need to tell you or anyone else here that what FUNimation is advertising as "uncut" in said instance has been as such in Japan from the very first airing on Fuji TV onward with no alterations, edits or cuts of any kind-- hell, Toriyama-sensei himself sat down to watch the show with his children every Wednesday night-- and when you consider that the Japanese are far less lenient about what they put on the air as opposed to our own very liberal media, it should all tell us something about the content and intention of a show like DragonBall that was aired as is.

It is, and always has been, a kid's show.

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Here in the land of the United States, we don't purposely expose our children to asses, penises, and whatnot, drawn or not.
And sex being so taboo sure is working out well for American kids.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1123322

Look at where Japan places on that list, in comparison.
-Rachel

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Also a good point.

~Da Lemmy

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:46 pm

TripleRach wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Here in the land of the United States, we don't purposely expose our children to asses, penises, and whatnot, drawn or not.
And sex being so taboo sure is working out well for American kids.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1123322

Look at where Japan places on that list, in comparison.
Really. The more taboo you make something the more of a rush people are going to feel when they violate said taboo.

If sex were more out in the open in the US then it wouldn't be such a mystery for teenagers going through puberty. The more common place it is, the smaller of an issue it becomes.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:56 pm

Vekurotto wrote:Here's the thing, I can see them making fun of the edits because they were pointless but did they do it in an "offensive" way. Such as does it make it look like, "Look what those evil Americans did to our Dragonball!"?
Nah, it's more like "Ha ha, look at how those silly Americans had to censor an innocent children's cartoon".

I remember the Norwegian release of a Dark Horse Conan comic book being mocked in the same way when the publishers refused to use the original cover image showing the roughly half a minute old Conan being held in the air, and had it replaced with an illustration from the story showing some guy being impaled on a spear. "Pictures of graphic violence? Sure. Exposed nipples? No problem. Newborn baby? Nope, THAT is too controversial to put on the cover."
Last edited by Adamant on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Dragon Ball is for children. Look at these clips and then try to say Dragon Ball is for adults:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3CtC-QBeqc4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F5eUeTgQWVA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lhTHOMaXglU
­

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:08 pm

The whoring of the merchandise continues.

Dragonball is a Shounen series, which means it's true intention was to get pre-teen boys to watch, it's just that some people haven't actually seen more mature anime, that's all. Like Da Lemmy said, Dragonball doesn't have overtly, "this is adult content", like another anime I like to call like Crying Freeman. Crying Freeman makes Dragonball look like a pre-school I can tell you that.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Do you all remember the Majin Boo costume? Well, take a look at this.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Vekurotto wrote:
Dragonball is a Shounen series, which means it's true intention was to get pre-teen boys to watch, it's just that some people haven't actually seen more mature anime, that's all. Like Da Lemmy said, Dragonball doesn't have overtly, "this is adult content", like another anime I like to call like Crying Freeman. Crying Freeman makes Dragonball look like a pre-school I can tell you that.
Agree completly. Anything published by Jump Comics or Serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump is aimed at children 12 and under.

Read Gantz or Berserk and then tell me DB isnt for kids

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 pm

I personally can't picture adults who would take a CARTOON seriously...especially a cartoon that's not serious. Just because it has death, doesn't make it for adults. I mean it has people shooting energy balls at each other. Just because you're an adult and like the show doesn't mean it's for adults. Quite frankly, aside from the nudity and language, Batman The Animated Series was more of an adult cartoon than DBZ. It had espionage, death, mystery, detective work, and a lot of REALISM in it. So? You don't hear people saying that Batman was an adult show. To be honest, that show touched upon a lot of adult subjects. It had people who were divorced, relationship problems, actually touched upon many different types of crimes...damn what a good show. Thank God I have it on DVD.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 pm

:lol: I love how in that Ultimate Uncut trailer, they just throw up random characters and pretend it's supposed to mean something in Japanese. What a joke. Seriously, it's almost insulting.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 pm

What do they throw up? Doesn't spell out "Dragon Ball"?

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:What do they throw up? Doesn't spell out "Dragon Ball"?
That's about all they got right. For instance, I'm looking at their katakana that "morphs" into Vegeta. It reads Yonasunayachi. And Goku is Sumahiyu. Seriously, what the damn?

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 pm

Milton wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:What do they throw up? Doesn't spell out "Dragon Ball"?
That's about all they got right. For instance, I'm looking at their katakana that "morphs" into Vegeta. It reads Yonasunayachi. And Goku is Sumahiyu. Seriously, what the damn?
You gotta love japanese fonts for common word processors... :roll:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:09 am

Okay but what do they mean? I'm sorry, call me a newbie to Japanese lol but I never learned it. All I can do is recognize Japanese as opposed to other Asian languages and basically figure out the names for a few characters in Japanese, just because I have the Japanese PS1 games and I looked at those manuals a million times over.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:14 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Okay but what do they mean?
The same thing "iasfgdglsdnvlndslvnsalf" and "ahdbafsdbnldhnfasmben" mean. Absolutely dick.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 am

Rocketman wrote:The same thing "iasfgdglsdnvlndslvnsalf" and "ahdbafsdbnldhnfasmben" mean. Absolutely dick.
Precisely. Like the redub itself, the FUNimation trailer can be summarized in this fashion-- it looks slick, sounds new and gets you all super-happy-excited, but a lot of it is dress-up and it still retains a handful of errors when all's said and done. Only the ad 1-ups the actual episode content and gets the Japanese version wrong. :D

This is the second thread in which I've seen arise discussions concerning the Japanese language itself, and it seems to be growing. Maybe SG2 is right, and we should consolidate/generalize anything further on the matter into a new thread specifically intentioned toward this purpose-- I'm sure that there'd be lots to talk about, ne? What does everyone else think?

~Da Lemmy

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Just have to throw it in here:

For f**cks sake, I was not speaking about the Japanese version. I never speak about the Japanese version. Unless I say I am. Now you know.
Nor I was speaking about Dragonball in Japan, but about Dragonball in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, since the previous poster was speaking about why Dragonball SHOULD be censored in the INITED STATES OF AMERICA.

And about the third clip, at hell with it being a trailer. What is wrong with you people that as soon you see anything with Funimation , all you can think is "Oh, it's Funimation. It's bad and awful!". It had some clips that could strenghten my point, hence the fact that I brought it. Like when Yajirobe got punched in the face by Vegeta and there was blood spurting out of his mouth.

I find it ridiculous that I have to clarify this at all. All I find is you members that jump into something without reading the previous posts, and that are not trying to think at all and see every single post as a negative aspect.

And to Taku128: Your point was awful and useless. You certainly know NOTHING of media and merchandising.

The Terminator movies were not for children, but hey, they released lots of toys and products anyways! And games without blood and gore too!

The Alien movies were certainly not for children, but what the hell? They released a series of toys for that aswell!

But whait a minute, they didn't do any commercials for cigarettes aimed to children? Wrong, they did do that and they still do in some countries where there is no penalty to do so by giving away sweaters with their logo ect.

I can go on and on and on and on and on...

Plus, you made the huge mistake that with me showing Dragonball Z only clips when I was talking about the show, you threw in commercials, showing how bad your knowledge about the difference media really is. Plus it was Japanese...which I wasn't referring to. If I was wouldn't I have shown Japanese clips of Dragonball?

EDIT: I know I know, I have typos, lots of them, but I haven't got time to fix it.