DragonBall Z Season 4 Set...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gregorthegame
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gregorthegame » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Hmm well I started watching the Garlic Jr. part of season 4... they re-dubbed Maron and a few of the "Spice Boys"--completely new voices, but pretty much the same exact dialogue.. A few of Vegeta's lines DO seem to be re-dubbed now that I've watched a few of the episodes.. As well as Trunks... the others, however, seem to be the same. Pretty much the same dialogue though from the older dub, though. Once I watch more I'll post some more information up. Thanks.
PS3 ID: GregorTheGame

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't understand why 26 episodes isn't considered a "season."

Maybe you aren't familiar with US Television, but 22-ish episodes is usually what makes up a complete season. From what I can see, they're just breaking off the series in ways that make sense, much like the Dragon Ball sets. Some episodes had 16 episodes, some had 10. You guys should pick your battles, we used to have to pay $20 for 3 episodes. 26 episodes from $30 is a pretty good deal.

Anyways... These screen shots actually look really good... I have to say, once these sets drop in price, I may actually pick them up, and I'm confident that the Cell Games will look pretty good, so I'm not even going to look for the single discs anymore.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:I don't understand why 26 episodes isn't considered a "season."

Maybe you aren't familiar with US Television, but 22-ish episodes is usually what makes up a complete season. From what I can see, they're just breaking off the series in ways that make sense, much like the Dragon Ball sets.
Except, you know, how they ended "Season One". That wasn't logical at all. The last three episodes there totally should have been on Season Two.

And yeah, with animation in North America (at least) a single season can be anywhere between 13 to 52 episodes.

Hell, ReBoot Season 4 only had 8 episodes. (Although it was basically two chopped up TV Specials). And The Transformers Season 4 only had 3.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:10 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:once these sets drop in price, I may actually pick them up
In all honesty, I don't think the price is gonna get any better. Maybe it'll drop down to $25 from $30 after they've been out a while or something, but...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

gregorthegame
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gregorthegame » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:I don't understand why 26 episodes isn't considered a "season."

Maybe you aren't familiar with US Television, but 22-ish episodes is usually what makes up a complete season. From what I can see, they're just breaking off the series in ways that make sense, much like the Dragon Ball sets. Some episodes had 16 episodes, some had 10. You guys should pick your battles, we used to have to pay $20 for 3 episodes. 26 episodes from $30 is a pretty good deal.

Anyways... These screen shots actually look really good... I have to say, once these sets drop in price, I may actually pick them up, and I'm confident that the Cell Games will look pretty good, so I'm not even going to look for the single discs anymore.
What I meant was... when Season 4 aired on Cartoon Network, it was the Trunks, Androids, Imperfect Cell, Perfect Cell and Cell Games in 1 Season... so How is Season 5 the Imperfect Cell and Perfect Cell Sagas? It should have been Season 4 part 2 or something... Season 5 was the Other World Tournament, Great Saiyaman, and Babidi Sagas.

And as for the DragonBall sets... they aren't called seasons they're called Sagas.

Either way FUNimation fucks everything up with this series.. I don't know why.
PS3 ID: GregorTheGame

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

They called them sagas because the wanted to make more money but in a way though I somewhat argee with gregorthegame. They really should have just released these without trying to fit them into sagas. Kinda like how Funi did with YYH's 2 disc sets. They just put 14 episodes on 8 sets no matter if 14th episode on the 2nd disc was a cliff hanger or not. They could have easily put these sets on a 29 episodes over 10 sets basis. That would have been a better choice rather than getting awkward episode counts on each set or trying to still fit them into this retarded "sagas" template.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Maybe you aren't familiar with US Television, but 22-ish episodes is usually what makes up a complete season.
Episode counts aren't what make a season a season, though. Production and/or broadcast schedules are. And FUNimation's "season" sets have absolutely nothing to do with the way they originally produced or broadcast the episodes. They're just taking random chunks of 30-ish episodes that reflect their old "saga" break-ups. You won't ever see Paramount trying to call a 15 episode chunk of Star Trek episodes a season, nor would you even see it in a crappy 70's sitcom release, either.

Other companies that don't follow the actual broadcast seasons don't call their releases "seasons;" they call them "volumes." (See: Futurama, 80's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman: The Animated Series, etc...) Similar things happen with shows that have awkward episode counts for their broadcast seasons.

But FUNi doesn't seem to be concerned with sticking to the norm, and I'm sure they're right if they think most of their fans are too misinformed or uninformed to know the difference anyway.
-Rachel

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:43 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Hao_Kaiser wrote:once these sets drop in price, I may actually pick them up
In all honesty, I don't think the price is gonna get any better. Maybe it'll drop down to $25 from $30 after they've been out a while or something, but...
After a time they might hit the 20 dollar section in Walmart.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Question:

Did they redub Roshi?

Or is Gero still the brains of RR and Tao.. a general... :?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 am

KillerCory wrote:Question:

Did they redub Roshi?

Or is Gero still the brains of RR and Tao.. a general... :?
That would really suck if they didn't... But I am getting the set tomorrow and will check that out.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:25 am

Question:

Did they redub Roshi?

Or is Gero still the brains of RR and Tao.. a general...
I watched this episode last night after not having seen it in ages (usually I skip this long flashback scene or just change the language to Japanese at this point), and no, they didn't redub Roshi. Somehow, Dr. Gero is still the brains of the Red Ribbon Army, and Tao is a general.

That scene really bothered me. It offended me, actually. When I first saw it in 2000, I didn't give it a second thought since I had never seen DB; I took it at face value, though it seemed strange that Goku wouldn't recognize Dr. Gero as No. 20 if he had indeed fought him and let him go in the past. After having watched DB several times through, going back and watching this scene was horrible. Gero was not the brains of the Red Ribbon Army, Tao was not a general, he was a mercenary, and ... well, there's just so much wrong with the scene. Roshi somehow knows that Gero had been watching Goku's battles since he was a kid despite this just having been explained to Goku and the others by Gero.

I stopped watching during the Vegeta SSJ exposition scene last night. From what I've seen, the changes to the dub are as follows:

Vegeta redubbed (Garlic Jr. episodes only)
Maron redubbed (all episodes)
Some Spice Boys redubbed
No. 19 redubbed, or at least voiced without the 'android filter'
Possible some early Trunks dialogue was redubbed as well, though I'm not sure

It really felt like they just weren't trying anymore. I'm particularly disappointed that Sabat didn't continue to redub Vegeta beyond Garlic; I was hoping that would last at least through the Cell Games saga.

Long answer to your question, but in short, disappointingly no.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:58 am

xzero wrote: Vegeta redubbed (Garlic Jr. episodes only)
If this is the case, then I'm officially bothered. Well, more so than I am about Goku and Gohan not being redubbed. I really dislike Sabat's original dub of Vegeta, as it's just a mediocre Drummond rip. I actualy like his current dub voice for it, and if he only did that only saga, it's pretty irksome. It's going be just as terribly inconsistent as the 'season two' set was.

Now I'm irritated.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

XxArmageddonX7

Post by XxArmageddonX7 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:
xzero wrote: Vegeta redubbed (Garlic Jr. episodes only)
If this is the case, then I'm officially bothered. Well, more so than I am about Goku and Gohan not being redubbed. I really dislike Sabat's original dub of Vegeta, as it's just a mediocre Drummond rip. I actualy like his current dub voice for it, and if he only did that only saga, it's pretty irksome. It's going be just as terribly inconsistent as the 'season two' set was.

Now I'm irritated.
I like his older voice. It always makes me laugh.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm

It was funny, but it just didn't do it for me though. It works for Drummond, but Sabat using the deeper, more gruff voice and saying "mondo cool" was just about the most hilarious thing ever for me. It made that terribly dated line more entertaining for me.

I think the part that really bothers me is inconsistency. I can listen to the old voice all the way through, and same with the new. But halfway(ish) through a show having the voices change irks me. I threw a fit watching the Season Two boxset when it went back to the original dubbing and Goku, Gohan, Bulma and at times Kuririn just didn't match what they sounded like on the episode before it.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:36 pm

Has anyone had trouble finding this set at Walmart? Because for some reason the Walmart here does not have any on the shelf.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:40 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Has anyone had trouble finding this set at Walmart? Because for some reason the Walmart here does not have any on the shelf.
It was supposed to be in stores today, right? Or was that the ship date, which might mean they won't actually arrive in stores until tomorrow or Thursday. Good thing too for me, cuz' I can't afford it or Bardock/Trunks until I get paid on Friday...
deviantART
[thread]

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:42 pm

It should be in stores. I got mine at Best Buy this morning. I don't know much about how Wal-Mart does things though, seeing as I don't live near one. I'm kind of angry I'm at work, I really want to see the Bardock special with English audio AND Solid State Scouter.

:P

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:It should be in stores. I got mine at Best Buy this morning. I don't know much about how Wal-Mart does things though, seeing as I don't live near one. I'm kind of angry I'm at work, I really want to see the Bardock special with English audio AND Solid State Scouter.
:P

I was excited for that too, until I realized there was no redubbing...Bardock's crew was painful to listen to.
Trans rights, now!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:46 pm

SonEric84 wrote: I was excited for that too, until I realized there was no redubbing...Bardock's crew was painful to listen to.
Still leagues better than a lot of the acting in certain parts of the series. Enough so that I'll actually watch it... the name changes were all that ever annoyed me any in the Bardock dub.
deviantART
[thread]

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:48 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
SonEric84 wrote: I was excited for that too, until I realized there was no redubbing...Bardock's crew was painful to listen to.
Still leagues better than a lot of the acting in certain parts of the series. Enough so that I'll actually watch it... the name changes were all that ever annoyed me any in the Bardock dub.

I think it might have just sounded worse to me because the last bit of DBZ I watched was the redubbed stuff. But still, not that great.
Trans rights, now!