GT Season One Box (and Other Things) Confirmed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

It did say that there will be 32 episodes in season one so I guess they're only putting out 2 GT season sets.

Also, to me the trailer almost did look like it was in 16:9 on a 16:9 TV. I mean come on, it's a nice, new flat screen TV, I don't think they even make 4:3 flat screens. Plus it's obviously a Funi booth and I know that companies usually use the same equipment at different booths and conventions so buying a rare (if it even exists) 4:3 flat screen for a single booth, and for DBGT booth no less, seems very unlikely.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:34 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote: I've been told the end result depends just as much on the film's age and quality as it does the Remastering process itself, which is why the Season Sets have looked better the later they get in the series. GT is about as "new" and probably good condition as they have, so it should look just fine.
You're right, GT didn't look too bad to begin with, but it will be sad if they use their standard "remastering" and throw the opportunity to get one of the remastered series looking decent.

There is no reason this series should have disappearing lines, since It was probably fed through the machine at a later date than Z, so hopefully they are mindful of the frame shaking issue.

*edit* I forgot to add, it does look a little like a wide sceen tv on an angle..

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:08 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Also, to me the trailer almost did look like it was in 16:9 on a 16:9 TV. I mean come on, it's a nice, new flat screen TV, I don't think they even make 4:3 flat screens. Plus it's obviously a Funi booth and I know that companies usually use the same equipment at different booths and conventions so buying a rare (if it even exists) 4:3 flat screen for a single booth, and for DBGT booth no less, seems very unlikely.
They do make flat screen 4:3 TVs, actually. Though I've only seen them in the case of big fat CRT TVs that happen to have flat screens, and not in the little flat panel variety that most people think of when they hear "flat screen." 4:3 panels might very well exist, though.

But as for this one, the angle makes it hard to tell.
-Rachel

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:25 pm

I think that I'm going to jump on the "These box sets must be 16:9" bandwagon. After all, the TV they're being shown off on is 16:9, right? The angle the video's taken at kind of trick you into thinking it's 4:3.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm surprised they're putting out two sets instead of milking it and making it three.

I wonder if they'll be priced higher to make up for that.

Anyway, I'm content with the original release of GT, it's one of the best Dragonball releases FUNimation ever put out.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:59 pm

The trailer is 4:3.

Either that or I've magically changed the aspect ratio in the few times I've seen it in the last few days.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:04 pm

If this actually is 4:3 (and it looks as though it really is), I'm definitely going to pick these up. I only have one of the original Funi GT boxes that I bought for cheap used on ebay.
Trans rights, now!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:32 pm

It's possible that they are either:
1. Using a crappy DVD player and stretching the picture.
2. Actually releasing 4:3 video.
3. Have not completed their "remastering" yet.

This leaves hope for Dragonball. Hey, can anyone POSSIBLY get vague comparison shots? I know this vid ain't the best, but...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:43 pm

Very cool. Hopefully they'll have a better tune for the trailers and menu screens.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 am

Snail wrote:Very cool. Hopefully they'll have a better tune for the trailers and menu screens.
DAN DAN? *hopes*
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:06 am

Snail wrote:Very cool. Hopefully they'll have a better tune for the trailers and menu screens.
But who doesn't love Menza's "Duump De Duuump De Duuump De"

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:11 am

Obviously we all love Menza's musical talents.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:29 am

Funny how Super Saiyan 4 Goku's on the cover, yet he doesn't appear in the actual series until the second set.

So far I'm pretty thrilled about this. If the episodes really are kept in the OAR and a Japanese-music-in-dub track is included, I'm all over these. So with this set, we'll be getting both openings, along with the first two ending songs, should everything work out in the best case scenario. To be honest, even though we have reason to believe that the only textless songs FUNi has are opening and ending 1, I'm not really all that worried. After all, FUNi wasn't given a textless version of the very first "Head-Cha-La" animation, yet it popped up in the recent re-release of the first film. Maybe the same thing will happen here.

So, because I've refused to buy the DBZ season sets, if these are OAR, then I'll only have GT and the movies in my collection. So basically, everything NON-CANONICAL. Sweet. :roll: :wink:
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:11 am

If it's actually in 4:3, I might buy it. It depends on the following:
1. If they keep all the openings and endings.
2. If they keep the japanese title-cards. Seriously, having only the dub-episode-titles doesn't really count as "100% uncut" to me, and unlike One Piece, the english titles don't even remotely match the japanese ones.

If they get those parts right, I'll gladly buy these sets. If not, I'll just buy the australian box-sets instead, just like I'm planning on doing with the original Dragonball. (Which I should propably hurry up and do, as I noticed that the individual discs aren't available anymore on Madman's website, just the boxes.)

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hell, the back of Season 1 of dbz had 4:3 screenshots, I think they just aren't hyping the wide screen anymore, it will be 16:9.

FUNimation are all about consistency now.
Well, FUNimation is trying to be all about consistency, which I do appreciate, but they usually fall flat on their face by changing their minds about stuff.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 am

OMG, I still can't believe this.No one noticed that this is filmed tru a weird angel wich makes it look like it is 4:3, but if you think it's just a widescreen tv.

I don't think Funi will be doing 4:3. Why would they do that. I don't think just for the Japanese BGM right or the amazing, almost HD looking, quality U get. OH and ofc will Funi release this on Bluray. So it will be widescreem. A fullscreen Blu ray is very unlikely.

Hope someone even understands a word of this, feeling dizzy.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:31 am

Snail wrote:Obviously we all love Menza's musical talents.
Best joke of the year.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:01 am

shotkeeper wrote:OH and ofc will Funi release this on Bluray. So it will be widescreem. A fullscreen Blu ray is very unlikely.
Full Metal Panic was recently released in Japan on BluRay, and that was still 4:3. They just added black bars on the sides to fill the frame, which is much better than cropping or stretching the frame. So of course FUNi could do a 4:3 BluRay-release, that is, IF they wanted to.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:13 am

Ok, but I mean. Blu ray is ment to play on a HD screen. Those are Widescreen(in the most cases) and playing fullscreen on a widescreen gives a ugly image.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
shotkeeper wrote:OH and ofc will Funi release this on Bluray. So it will be widescreem. A fullscreen Blu ray is very unlikely.
Full Metal Panic was recently released in Japan on BluRay, and that was still 4:3. They just added black bars on the sides to fill the frame, which is much better than cropping or stretching the frame. So of course FUNi could do a 4:3 BluRay-release, that is, IF they wanted to.
Indeed it was, and they looked great on my setup. 4x3 is nothing to be scared of.
shotkeeper wrote:Ok, but I mean. Blu ray is ment to play on a HD screen. Those are Widescreen(in the most cases) and playing fullscreen on a widescreen gives a ugly image.
So, I assume you have never seen Robin Hood or Casablanca in HD. They look stunning, despite being filmed in 4x3. All native material on Blu ray will NOT be stretched, unless you choose it to be.

Anyway, 4x3 material still looks stunning, provided the source is in great condition. But, being that this is a "remastered" source, I highly doubt it will look Perfect, but a lot better than DVD quality.

I am actually looking forward to this set. I know all about the minor quirks with the "remastering", but 32 episodes for 30.00 on Amazon prime, can't beat that price!