What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Drabaz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 am

testing223 wrote:
Drabaz wrote:My recent purchases:

DBZ Kai DVD's 6 & 7
Dragonball Z for Kinect
And life-size Dragonballs!

I would literally give anything to have those. Where did you get them?
I got them from a site called Strapya-World. They mainly sell accessories for cell phones, but for some reason they sell a near perfect life-size scale of dragonballs.
http://www.strapya-world.com/categories/2331_520.html
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Drabaz wrote: I got them from a site called Strapya-World. They mainly sell accessories for cell phones, but for some reason they sell a near perfect life-size scale of dragonballs.
http://www.strapya-world.com/categories/2331_520.html
:| 25.70 USD/each. 179.9 + shipping...

*cries quietly in a corner*
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:43 pm

So I work in a Japanese store, and the other day I was unloading a shipment of incense. As I pulled things from the box, out of the corner of my eye I thought I spotted a pattern of colors consistent with the Dragonball Z logo. I didn't think much of it, since those colors could show up anywhere. But as I took more things out of the box, I saw clearly that it was the actual Dragonball Z logo. Great confusion and anticipation took over as I hurriedly grabbed these intriguing boxes from the shipment. Why in the world would there be Dragonball merchandise in an incense shipment?

Because it's...Dragonball incense.

Have you ever wondered what all your favorite characters smell like? Apparently, it's NOT manly sweatiness...

Gokuu: Amber
Kuririn: Yuzu
Piccolo: Green Tea
Gohan: Lotus
Vegeta: Jasmine
Trunks: Lavender (of course :P)

I don't think there was much real thought process to the choices. Seems like they took the color scheme of the characters and kind of matched it to the regular coloring of the boxes for those scents, though I'm not sure why Kuririn's color is greenish-yellow and Gohan's color is pink...the brand has a couple of purple options that could have matched Gohan's gi (musk or iris). Gokuu already has the orange box and Vegeta has the blue, so I guess Kuririn just got a random color assigned to him (Kuririn owned count +1)

If you look closely, there are dragon balls on top of each box, each with a different number of stars. So, Gokuu must have the 4 star, right? Nope. OK, then surely Gohan does? Wrong again! It's Piccolo. They just started with the 2 star on the left and went up to 7 as you go right.

So how is this different from the regular incense? Well, you get DBZ characters on the box, and you get to pay the same price as the 50 stick box, but only get 35 sticks :P

See, the regular incense only offers to bring tranquility and peace of mind...the DBZ incense offers tranquility and POWER!

Interesting to note that Funimation's logo is on the box. So was this made for a non-Japanese market? If so, when was it originally made? I didn't order this product, it just showed up in the shipment as an extra item (if I'd known it existed, I would have ordered the shit out of it). So I can't tell if it's a brand new product that the vendor wanted us to try out, or something that's been sitting in a warehouse for 10 years and someone said, "oh, shit, we've had this for a long time, let's just send it out as samples."

The biggest mystery to me is WHY was this made in the first place? Who is the market for this? Since it's got DBZ on the box, one would think it's targeting kids, but do kids burn incense? Would you WANT kids running around setting things aflame? Or is it a way for parents to get their kids to like incense so they won't complain when their parents light it up to cover up their stinky child smell? "I know you don't like the smell of incense, Billy, but this one smells like Piccolo!" I don't get it...

But anyway, even though I don't understand why this was made, who it was made for, or why it showed up at my work without me ordering it, I still think it's awesome. My house is totally gonna smell like Vegeta or Trunks from now on :D
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Those are awesome! I would pick some up if I found any.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm

I would love to know of a store near me that would carry these. I'd definitly pick up a few. This is most definitly a bizzare-merchandise.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I finished the puzzle two days after getting it... a new record! .....a sad, lonely, pathetic record....
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:53 am

Lately I've started slowly grabbing digital copies of the DBZ manga on the VIZ app.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DBZnut
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZnut » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 am

AH! this things are so awesome, the quality is amazing, I WANT THEM ALL! too bad the rest are 50+ for 4 and 5, more for the rest
Oh, hi there.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:17 am

sailorspazz wrote:My house is totally gonna smell like Trunks from now on :D
That sounds so wrong xD

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 am

Got yet another puzzle in the mail today.

Different shape, so I need to buy some boards before I can start putting it together. :(
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:17 am

I bought Planeta DeAgostini's release of Toriyama's Makan Zenseki Vol. 1. It contains a lot of Toriyama one shots like Mr. Ho, Lady Red, and the Dragon Ball prototype-Dragon Boy.
It also has two pages where Toriyama briefly talks about working on Dragon Ball. Geezer Goku is in there.
Also I got some Dragon Ball chocolate milk in a box awhile ago:

Alpha_Flight

Post by Alpha_Flight » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm

My most recent purchase was the elusive Dragon Box 2!

Ran me quite a bit, but now I can rest having the complete set. As well, picked up The Broly Steel Book DVD set from Ebay to complete the steel book set as well :D

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:20 am

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 Sealed for 4.99 + 1.99 shipping on ebay.
Dragon Ball Z: Legends for 7.99 at local game store.
Dragon Ball: Final Bout for 9.99 on ebay.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Recently picked up these little guys.

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:41 am

Nice pickups, I have that Chopper figure. It's really nice for the price.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:20 am

Love the Saiyaman!
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Preordered Budokai HD Collection for PS3 from Amazon. Should come next weekend.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 am

I've just bought ohzaru vegeta transforming figure for £18 and pre-ordered budokai HD collection for ps3 :D

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeah, I'm in looooove with that Chopper figure. It looks great.

The DB guys were a good deal too, just a buck each! Mixed in with a bunch of key chains.

Sorry for the blurry photo! My phone sucks :roll:

Also: I finally bought the Toriyama The World art book! Not as expensive as I was expecting, I'm looking forward to it arriving. I've had the "The World Special" book forever. Considering grabbing the "The World Anime Special" book soon as well, even though I'm generally more of a manga guy. I've been curious about the Kennosuke-sama and Pink specials forever and would like to see more info on them if I can't actually track down the videos...

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Today I received two Pioneer box sets from states, The Saiyan Conflict and The Namek Saga. Unfortunately my Namek Saga box set has the wrong DVDs in the box, two of them are correct but the other seven are from the Saiyan saga so I have duplicates of those now. I'm looking into getting it swapped. Still, I'm pleased with the Saiyan saga set. I'm going to try to get the Ginyu and Frieza sets, but they seem quite difficult to come across. After Frieza I don't have much attachment to the dub because we in the UK got the AB Group dub after that.