A little trip down memory lane....DBZ Uncensored

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: A little trip down memory lane....DBZ Uncensored

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:35 am

I smiled when I read this:
DaizenshuuEX
Formerly a mere Pick of the Moment as the humble "VegettoEX's Home Page," and now basically kicking my ass. I knew the little gaki would surpass me someday, and now it's finally happened. The site features an all-new design and more sections, not to mention the fact that EX actually has a staff these days. This means that the site is now updated constantly with all sorts of stuff, whereas the time between my updates is measured in geologic time. EX has consistently improved over the years, so I can only assume that this site will get even better with time. Damn him.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:They are losing the rights to tons of their main money makers. Their Saturday morning block is going to be canceled soon too. They will probably not even exist in 12 years.
Yeah, on FOX. They still have that section they'll be taking up given to them by the CW (which was once Kids' WB). They are indeed losing the rights to several series', though. Even ones they licensed and never dubbed.

Anywho, anyone ever wonder what became of Chris Psaros and if's he's ever looked back on what effect he's had from years ago?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Tsukento wrote:Anywho, anyone ever wonder what became of Chris Psaros and if's he's ever looked back on what effect he's had from years ago?
He did.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Adamant wrote:
Tsukento wrote:Anywho, anyone ever wonder what became of Chris Psaros and if's he's ever looked back on what effect he's had from years ago?
He did.
When was that written?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Adamant wrote:
He did.
When was that written?
If I remember correctly, after DBZOA went down but before the Anime Cauldron host. I may be horribly wrong, though.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:53 pm

He mentions having closed it almost a decade ago, so that must've been quite recent.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:23 am

From episode 97:

"First of all, the guy who played him easily had the best voice in the entire dub, and I'm not exaggerating. Uh... why did they hire him to do a character with less than 20 seconds of screen time? I swear they just do that to tease us. THESE are the characters that Chris Sabat should be playing. The stupid, useless, instantly killed characters."

And now, ten years later Sabat is known for playing the badasses and tough guy's of FUNimation. Oh, memories...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:12 am

DBZ Uncensored was a very cool site. I remember Planet Namek as well, they were one of the first sites to host manga scans.

Anybody else remember DB3K.com? It was my fave. They had tons of screenshots, and I could always depend on them for if I was drawing or sculpting DBZ characters and had no idea what their shoes looked like or something else important like that.

Try figuring out what Bulma's dad Dr. Briefs wears on his feet. It's not too easy now-a-days.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:35 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
Tsukento wrote: It's really funny seeing how similar 4Kids is today to how FUNi was 12 years ago.
So, in about 12 years, 4Kids will be giving us Season sets of Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh/Sonic X/and Ultimate Muscle with original BGM and English versions of the theme songs. :D
However...they don't own Pokémon anymore...
They also tried it with yu-Gi-Oh already. Only thing is Yu-Gi-Oh fans are quite hypocritical about things so that's why they abandoned doing it. And no point with Ultimate Muscle because it did better in the States than it did in Japan, hence its nickname, the only non-Jump based show they didn't screw up. And with Sonic X, there's a big debate over whether it just had a bad dub, or whether it was just a bad show that even an excellent dub couldn't save.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:56 am

Super Sonic wrote: And with Sonic X, there's a big debate over whether it just had a bad dub, or whether it was just a bad show that even an excellent dub couldn't save.
I've always thought the show was decent compared to the American Sonic cartoons. (If you take off the the nostalgia goggles "HAY RO-BUTT-NIK!" isn't really that funny after the 46th time.)

While we are on the topic of Uncensored sites and Sonic X I really enjoyed this website for Sonic X dub/sub comparisons.

http://www.sonicfighters.com/rattleman/sxu/index.html

Is it safe to assume Dragonball Z Uncensored sort of paved the way for future uncensored websites?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Super Sonic wrote: And with Sonic X, there's a big debate over whether it just had a bad dub, or whether it was just a bad show that even an excellent dub couldn't save.
I've always thought the show was decent compared to the American Sonic cartoons. (If you take off the the nostalgia goggles "HAY RO-BUTT-NIK!" isn't really that funny after the 46th time.)
That's kind of a given. Butt jokes aren't as funny when you're in your 20s to when you're in 5th grade. Though still know guys who still like the dramatic Sonic series.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Super Sonic wrote:And with Sonic X, there's a big debate over whether it just had a bad dub, or whether it was just a bad show that even an excellent dub couldn't save.
That debate makes absolutely no sense. I loved the Japanese version of Sonic X. An excellent series in many ways. I see no reason whatsoever that it should have so much hate levied against it. The English version was ruined for the same reason that any 4Kids dub is ruined - because 4Kids is a terrible, terrible company.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:And with Sonic X, there's a big debate over whether it just had a bad dub, or whether it was just a bad show that even an excellent dub couldn't save.
That debate makes absolutely no sense. I loved the Japanese version of Sonic X. An excellent series in many ways. I see no reason whatsoever that it should have so much hate levied against it.
From a lot of people I know and heard, two words: Chris Thorndyke. Or as many people I know refer to him, the kid who raped Sonic.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Adamant wrote:
He did.
When was that written?
More than a year ago, at the very least. Maybe two. I remember stumbling onto that link sometime in the past.

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Considering that I'm one of the younger DB fans, I don't have "fond memories" of this site, but it is interesting going through the site and see how DB was a long time ago.

I wonder what happened to Psaros.