Do you like the Ocean dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JBoogie

Do you like the Ocean dub?

Post by JBoogie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Wow, I have great memories. My cousin and I would always recite quotes, such as the one in my sig( which isn't in the remastered version :cry: ) and:
Krillin: You ready, Gohan?
Gohan: Mm hm.
Krillin: Let's turn up the heat.
Both: HAAAAHHH!

I also think Ian James Corlett is a really good Goku, just as good as Sean Schemmel. I also like Brian Drummond. What do you guys think?
Btw, Kelamis is good, not great.
" I know the odds are against me, but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!
-Goku

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own."
-Solid Snake

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:28 pm

No, I'm not a fan. Although I once saw a clip from an uncut scene of the Ocean dub, which had the same BGM as the Japanese dub. The acting was better when compared to the TV version. I actually liked the clip. I'd be interested in watching the whole series like that.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 pm

The Ocean dub was really good for the first three movies. Some of the voice choices were also good. Brian Drummond's Vegeta was excellent, but when they went and dubbed the rest for Canada it sounded terrible, except for a few scenes.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 pm

No I hold no emotion, no nostalgia no anything towards it. As much as I hate the Funi dub at least I get a surge of nostalgia from listening to the season 3 stuff that I used to catch glimpses of on CN. The only good thing was Ian Corlett as Goku. A much better voice then Sean all n' all IMO (although that isn't saying much.)

The scripts were god awful too. I hated how every VA decided to drag their sentences out for no real reason.

Edit: Ah I forgot the MOVIES on the other hand were actually awesome.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:40 pm

You've got to specify what you're talking about. The 1995 DragonBall Dub, or the 1996+ DragonBall Z dubs. I know you mean the DBZ one, but I feel like pulling your leg for half a sec.

I'm nostalgic for the Ocean dub. It's what I grew up with for the most part watching on YTV. And no offense, I still find Scott McNeil's Piccolo the superior one. Although I didn't care for the ever changing voice of Goku.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

JBoogie

Post by JBoogie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:You've got to specify what you're talking about. The 1995 DragonBall Dub, or the 1996+ DragonBall Z dubs. I know you mean the DBZ one, but I feel like pulling your leg for half a sec.

I'm nostalgic for the Ocean dub. It's what I grew up with for the most part watching on YTV. And no offense, I still find Scott McNeil's Piccolo the superior one. Although I didn't care for the ever changing voice of Goku.
" I know the odds are against me, but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!
-Goku

-Solid Snake

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:19 pm

I have nostalgia for Ocean cast season 1 & 2 and I legitimately like the Ocean cast dub of the first three Dragonball Z movies. I kinda wish the whole series was dubbed as well as the first three movies. Then I really wouldn't have a preference over what language to watch it in.

I have seen some episodes and several long clips of the Ocean cast dub from later seasons. I still like Brian Drummond's Vegeta, Terry Klassen's Krillin, Peter Kelamis' Goku (and kid Goku), and Scott McNeil's Piccolo more than the FUNimation counterparts, but the FUNimation voices are easier and more fun to imitate. Overall, though, I don't have enough of an attachment to the voices to watch the rest of the Ocean cast dub post-Season 2 because of the script, direction, and music.

MasakoX is the best dub Son Goku.
Last edited by Kendamu on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:22 pm

I thought Ocean were fantastic through Seasons 1 & 2 of DBZ and the first 3 movies. Though when they came back to dub the Android - Buu Saga's I thought they sucked ( I was exposed to that shit for 5 years you know... )
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:You've got to specify what you're talking about. The 1995 DragonBall Dub, or the 1996+ DragonBall Z dubs. I know you mean the DBZ one, but I feel like pulling your leg for half a sec.
I think you even further need to specify than just that, since the 1996-1998 FUNimation dub using the Ocean cast and the later "alternate"/concurrent dub for the European (and occasionally) Canadian markets are two completely different beasts, despite having the same (somewhat) voice cast.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JBoogie

Post by JBoogie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
I think you even further need to specify than just that, since the 1996-1998 FUNimation dub using the Ocean cast and the later "alternate"/concurrent dub for the European (and occasionally) Canadian markets are two completely different beasts, despite having the same (somewhat) voice cast.
I'm talking about the first two seasons shown on Toonami and the first three movies.
-Goku

-Solid Snake

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:39 pm

I like the Ocean dub. I love the first 53 episodes, despite the editing, and the first 3 movies. After that it can get a bit messy. For example, Brian Drummond did the voice for Yajirobe as well as Vegeta, and while he sounded amazing as Vegeta in the Saiyan/Namek saga's, his Vegeta voice sounds almost exactly like Yajirobe during the Buu saga. Having said that, I'm still a fan of the entire Ocean dub.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm a big fan of the voice work in those episodes, and I have tremendous affinity for the actors, being a gigantic Beast Wars fan. Here's my Pioneer volume eleven insert signed by Pauline Newstone, Ocean's Freeza.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 14a1e4.jpg

Sorry about the low quality, I just snapped the image at my desk. I have Scott McNeil, and Richard Newman's autographs as well, just not on Dragonball Z merchandise.

The Funimation guys are fine, but the Ocean Group is by far my preferred English cast.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Yeah, I did. While the writing was pretty damn awful at times, I thought the voices were very fitting and the acting, though very cartoony, was good in my opinion. I even thought the music was better than the later FUNi dub (not hard to do I suppose), creating a lot of tension when necessary and also having a lot of peaceful lighthearted tunes.

The movies were especially well done and made even better by the fact that the original score was kept. I haven't even bothered to watch the FUNi redubs of those first three, though I own them as a result of buying the set.

I remember having a very strong negative reaction to the new actors in the 3rd season and that impression hasn't really changed over the years.

I get nostalgic for it every now and then.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 pm

As a kid, I heavily came into the series during season 3, and even though I did see repeats of seasons 1 and 2, I never really noticed the voice cast or stylistic differences.

However, when Cartoon Network reran those original 52 episodes a few years ago, I thought it was the most horrendous pile of garbage I've ever watched.

However, I think the Ocean dubs of the first three movies are fantastic, and, in my mind, are the best Dragon Ball thing FUNi has ever had any part in.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:15 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:As a kid, I heavily came into the series during season 3, and even though I did see repeats of seasons 1 and 2, I never really noticed the voice cast or stylistic differences.

However, when Cartoon Network reran those original 52 episodes a few years ago, I thought it was the most horrendous pile of garbage I've ever watched.

However, I think the Ocean dubs of the first three movies are fantastic, and, in my mind, are the best Dragon Ball thing FUNi has ever had any part in.
In 2005 they ran the redub of episode 1-67 with the Funimation voice cast. They haven't played ocean dub episodes since the 90's.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Yes. Good memories.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 pm

Shuki Levy's music gives me the most nostalgia... AHHHHH...
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:
Hao_Kaiser wrote:As a kid, I heavily came into the series during season 3, and even though I did see repeats of seasons 1 and 2, I never really noticed the voice cast or stylistic differences.

In 2005 they ran the redub of episode 1-67 with the Funimation voice cast. They haven't played ocean dub episodes since the 90's.
The Ocean dub episodes ran on CN on weekends too. I remember viewing them in 2002.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:48 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:Shuki Levy's music gives me the most nostalgia... AHHHHH...
Some tracks did stand out but some were literally just background noise. Seriously about the equivalent of some old 40 year old guy humming without melody into a microphone.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:51 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:Shuki Levy's music gives me the most nostalgia... AHHHHH...
Some tracks did stand out but some were literally just background noise. Seriously about the equivalent of some old 40 year old guy humming without melody into a microphone.
I didn't say I liked the music. It just gives me my childhood back. :cry: