What is better: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z or DragonBall GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:24 am

I see "Z" and "DB" as essentially the same story that has just evolved. I know I know, but that's how I see it so I just say DB/DBZ is awesome and GT sux.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 am

Zenkai Power wrote:I see "Z" and "DB" as essentially the same story that has just evolved. I know I know, but that's how I see it so I just say DB/DBZ is awesome and GT sux.
Agreed! :roll:
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:12 pm

For me it's:

1. DB
2. DBZ
3. DBGT

I think DB is the best overall, but Z has some of my favorite stuff, and since Vegeta is my favorite character it was a hard choice, but I can not deny that DB is the best. It made the most sense and didn't dwell on "power levels" and the humans were still worth a damn.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm

omegacwa wrote:For me it's:

1. DB
2. DBZ
3. DBGT

I think DB is the best overall, but Z has some of my favorite stuff, and since Vegeta is my favorite character it was a hard choice, but I can not deny that DB is the best. It made the most sense and didn't dwell on "power levels" and the humans were still worth a damn.
I basically agree. :D

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:54 am

Being primarily a fan of the manga, there is only Dragonball for me. :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 am

Daburcor wrote:Being primarily a fan of the manga, there is only Dragonball for me. :)
I agree =D

However, if it's anime we're talking here, DBZ takes the cake in my book. I'm not so big a fan of DB as I used to be.. I sorta "grew out" of the humor and the adventurous nature of the show. I'm all about the fighting and whatnot, and the characters that are in DBZ. However, I do particularly love the Piccolo Jr. arc.

And GT... Well GT isn't made by Toriyama. That's all I have to say =P

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:17 am

Dragonball Z all the way. The Saiyans are awesome, and their history is more interesting than anything that the original Dragonball had to offer. I couldn't care less that the humans took a back seat over the course of the story.

Dragonball GT isn't inherently bad because it wasn't created by Toriyama; it's just a horrible show on its own. Anyone who would claim that GT is the best series is on some hard drugs.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:53 am

Well lets just say that I bought both GT season boxsets today and I could not sit through the first disk of season 1. I had a much more enjoyable time watching paint dry.

Really though GT is fine to watch sometimes, but the glossy art style makes me tired. The only reason why I really dislike GT is because of Pan. She is just an annoying character throughout the entire series. The original BGM is incredible though.

To sum up my opinion, I'd say each series has their pros and cons. I accept them all as being part of the DragonBall franchise.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:43 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:Dragonball GT has the best BGM, in my humble opinion.

It needs to be released on CD. Stat.
I agree with that 100%. As to answer the original question. My favorite is DB, then DBZ, then DBGT. Just like the original order. In my opinion, I like GT (the soundtrack being good is like 70% of what saved it). I liked the whole first 40 episodes of the Bebi saga. I also like the last 15 episodes which is the Evil Dragons saga. Now episode 41, which was a pointless tournament that lasted well only one episode which was pointless. Now the Super 17 saga, wow. Z movies villains coming from hell, ahh wow. All I am going to say is that that saga killed GT in my opinion.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:54 am

Dragon Ball is how I got into it (1995 FUNimation dub FTW) and also feels more solid to me, so it shall always come first for me.

DBZ though also has the Cell arc, and my favorate chatacter, Trunks. So it too, shall always have a special place in my heart.

Dragon Ball GT is not a favorate of mine, but I will at least rank it third, for the fact it has an ACTUAL ending (even though it isn't an ending I like, it actually bothered to make one - which has to count for something).
-Laserkid

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:26 am

laserkid wrote:but I will at least rank it third
Third out of 3? How generous of you. :lol:

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:20 pm

It's so hard to choose between DB and Z. I really connect them as one entity, but I guess if I had to choose probably Z. I do love DB though.
Trans rights, now!

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm

This is a though one.

For me it's DBZ first DB comes second and then GT.
Although I like DB and Z equally, Z was the part that introduced me to these series wich just gives it something special.

GT is also not that bad.
Kinda like that friend you don't really talk with much but is still part of the gang you know?