French DBZ Box 1/3 -screen capture update March 11.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

French DBZ Box 1/3 -screen capture update March 11.

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 pm

The box itself:

The "digi-packs" (boxes inside the box)
1:
2:
3:

Menu screen capture from Disc 1 (the fac that it says DVD #1, makes me hope there's different menus for each dvd):

Source: http://www.manewsexpress.com/index.php? ... Itemid=101

General information:
- Aspect ratio: 4:3.
- Distributor: TF1 VIDEO.
- Format: DVD.
- Number of DVD’s: 17 (episodes 1-117).
- Price: 150 Euro.
- Release company : AB VIDEO.
- Release date: 19/03/2009 (19th March).

More specific information:
- All episodes have been remastered from scratch, in 4:3, by a team of fans at AB France. It is however unsure which of the Toei film masters got used.
- The parts (which are rather random) where the French dub was censored, has been replaced with Japanese soundtrack w/ subs. The censoring varieties a lot from episode to episode.
- The voice actor for Goku's recorded all title screen, as opposed to the narrator in Japanese version (originally there were no title screens in the french dub)
- There will be a choice between French dub, and Japanese version with French subtitles.
- Previews are included, however only in Japanese with, (and possibly without) French subtitles.
- Episodes cover 1-117; Saiyajin to end of Garlic Jr. Saga.
Last edited by sangofe on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Wow! Lucky Frenchies. :shock: Looks like some good stuff.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:19 pm

One of the best looking boxes I've seen for Dragon Ball, definately.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DBZOceanHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZOceanHD » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Certainly after the Dragonboxes, that looks beautiful. It even has the previews. Take note FUNi.

The parts where they place the Japanese soundtrack into missing parts is going to be really awkward, though.

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow that looks awesome. If anyone here buys this, I'd like a review of how the video is compared to the Orange Boxes.
"Welcome to Sex Ed. May all your dreams come true."

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 pm

I like how they put the Toei animation logo on the cover.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:15 am

Hopefully the remastering process for this set will be better than the process used for AB's movies boxset, but since they are getting the next episode previews, I guess anything would be fine.

Hopefully the french subs won't be added to the actual frames of the next episodes previews, so that you can watch the previews raw...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Hopefully the remastering process for this set will be better than the process used for AB's movies boxset, but since they are getting the next episode previews, I guess anything would be fine.

Hopefully the french subs won't be added to the actual frames of the next episodes previews, so that you can watch the previews raw...
Updated first post with a couple of modifications. To reply about the remastering. No, it's not the same as the movies boxsets.

shotkeeper
Regular

Re: Gigantic French DBZ Box 1/3 Officially Announced.

Post by shotkeeper » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:33 am

sangofe wrote: More specific information:
- All episodes have been remastered from scratch, in 4:3, by a team of fans at AB France. It is however unsure which of the Toei film masters got used.
- The parts (which are rather random) where the French dub was censored, has been replaced with Japanese soundtrack w/ subs. The censoring varieties a lot from episode to episode.
- The voice actor for Goku's recorded all title screen, as opposed to the narrator in Japanese version (originally there were no title screens in the french dub)
- There will be a choice between French dub, and Japanese version with French subtitles.
- Previews are included, however only in Japanese with, (and possibly without) French subtitles.
Ok I was amazed when I watched the picture, very nice. But I was even more amazed when I saw that. Fans are allowed to touch the film??? Just because they are FANS? OMG, I hope something like that happens in Holland.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Gigantic French DBZ Box 1/3 Officially Announced.

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:15 am

shotkeeper wrote:
sangofe wrote: More specific information:
Ok I was amazed when I watched the picture, very nice. But I was even more amazed when I saw that. Fans are allowed to touch the film??? Just because they are FANS? OMG, I hope something like that happens in Holland.
Haha, it just means they hired skillful people that are devoted and personally care about what they're doing.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I like how they put the Toei animation logo on the cover.
FUNi do that with the Double Features, too.

But, yeah, it looks rather nice... :shock:

Now, only if it had English subs, I'd be all set...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Woah that's awesome. It looks like everyone except North America is getting these Dragon Box-esque releases >.<

And when I say everyone, I mean French, Spanish and Japanese people :wink:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 am

More visual pleasure thanks to http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/act ... -en-detail
It also seems like you'll be able to get the box for 150 euro's at certain stores.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 pm

This makes me wish I didn't give up on French in High School.

Anyway, I suppose we can mark another country down on the list of ones that have big Dragon Ball boxsets that look better than the Season Sets.

*gazes at season sets on shelf*

Well at least they're better than... well... uh... well, the GT sets look okay, right?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Wow, those "digi-packs" sure look amazing! I love how the packs use the names in Japanese, but it kind sucks how their pronunciation for Freeza is a little off. I also found it weird how for the attacks for Gohan and Goku that they listed, they used accurate French Romanization, yet for the one Freeza attack they listed, they seem to have just translated it. Oh well.

I also really like how the menus so closely resemble those of the Dragon Box; close enough to be an obvious reference, but different enough to be its own thing.

I also decided to align all of the side panels of the revealed "digi-packs", which was a lot harder than it should have been, since the three scans they gave us are different sizes and ratios!

Looks very nice, and Vegeta in his Saiya-jin armor (which is a pretty weird outfit for him to be in, considering what episodes will be covered in the ensuing packs) is clearly going to be the next character featured in the spin-image. I also found it weird how the red Toei Animation logo is so much higher up on the spine of the third volume than it is one the first two, but the case was similar for the DBGT Dragon Box.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Hmm... if this is pitch-corrected, I might consider picking this up. If not, color me uninterested. PAL just really, REALLY bothers me.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:14 am

bkev wrote:Hmm... if this is pitch-corrected, I might consider picking this up. If not, color me uninterested. PAL just really, REALLY bothers me.
They might be Pal, but they're not NTSC conversions.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 am

Damn, makes me wish these could be sold in Britain.
Last edited by DominatorLost on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:19 am

bkev wrote:Hmm... if this is pitch-corrected, I might consider picking this up. If not, color me uninterested. PAL just really, REALLY bothers me.
I guess this will be pitch and speed corrected, but some kinda image lag will arise because of PAL's halfway fps.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:24 am

VEGETA27 at mangamyth forums got the box early: