The origin of Cat Loves Food?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

The origin of Cat Loves Food?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Something tells me the DBZ writing team at FUNimation is made up of children of the eighties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZK6H3d5bk&fmt=18

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

That ad's kind of creepy. But hey, that's 80s TV for you.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:14 pm

LOL, that commercial's so hysterically 80's (with the robot and the motorcycle guy).

Strange hearing "yeah yeah yeah" used in an actual commerical.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:06 am

The "cat loves food" thing was the single worst piece of dialog FUNimation had ever produced for any show it's done. Not just that line, but for the entire piece of conversation. What Bulma says, what Yamcha says, etc.

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 am

I still think the three eyed cowboy line is worse. And the "Your father was a great scientist" was even worse than that, because it actually creates a plot hole in the series, rather than just being stupid.
"Welcome to Sex Ed. May all your dreams come true."

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Okay someone fill me in on this one cause I'm not getting it at all.
What's this ''cat loves food'' and what has that commecial got to do with?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:26 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote:And the "Your father was a great scientist" was even worse than that, because it actually creates a plot hole in the series, rather than just being stupid.
That's been fixed for about two years now.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Okay someone fill me in on this one cause I'm not getting it at all.
What's this ''cat loves food'' and what has that commecial got to do with?
It's a really horrible dub line. In the original, Yamcha is saying something about how he loves living the peaceful life. In the dub, they change it to him randomly singing "Cat loves food, ye-yeah yeah yeah!"
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Kendamu wrote: It's a really horrible dub line. In the original, Yamcha is saying something about how he loves living the peaceful life. In the dub, they change it to him randomly singing "Cat loves food, ye-yeah yeah yeah!"
*Facepalm*. Totally forgot that scene.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 pm

B wrote:
ImmortalSandwich wrote:And the "Your father was a great scientist" was even worse than that, because it actually creates a plot hole in the series, rather than just being stupid.
That's been fixed for about two years now.
Actually, it's more like three or four, what with the Ultimate Uncuts.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Re: The origin of Cat Loves Food?

Post by Satan-Sama » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Something tells me the DBZ writing team at FUNimation is made up of children of the eighties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZK6H3d5bk&fmt=18
The absence of Andre the Giant in this Honeycomb commercial disappoints me. :cry:
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 am

Ride 'em cowboy! :cry:

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:The "cat loves food" thing was the single worst piece of dialog FUNimation had ever produced for any show it's done. Not just that line, but for the entire piece of conversation. What Bulma says, what Yamcha says, etc.

Videl: Hes got fabulous energy.

This is the worst dub line. She said this when Trunks and Goten succeeded in performing the fusion technique on their third try.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Krakabeast wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:The "cat loves food" thing was the single worst piece of dialog FUNimation had ever produced for any show it's done. Not just that line, but for the entire piece of conversation. What Bulma says, what Yamcha says, etc.

Videl: Hes got fabulous energy.

This is the worst dub line. She said this when Trunks and Goten succeeded in performing the fusion technique on their third try.
I actually can't see how that line is bad, let alone worse than "Cat Loves Food".

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote:I still think the three eyed cowboy line is worse. And the "Your father was a great scientist" was even worse than that, because it actually creates a plot hole in the series, rather than just being stupid.
How does this create a plothole? Even if you include the TV special, you could say that even the Saiyna scientist go off world and fight.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:53 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote:I still think the three eyed cowboy line is worse. And the "Your father was a great scientist" was even worse than that, because it actually creates a plot hole in the series, rather than just being stupid.
Actually, those lines were the "funny" type of bad. Nowadays, I find them pretty hysterical.

Stuff like "cat loves food" and "Krillin's in da house" are just unbearable, on the other hand.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am

It was this dumb scene in the episode where Frieza comes back as his mecha form and they are sitting around with Puar sipping something and Yamcha goes, "Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah." which isn't even the end of it. Bulma says, "You goof, where did you come up with that?" "I saw it on some old commercial. Puar hates it when I do that."

Here's why it's so bad, BEYOND the fact that it's just a stupid line, you get this feel that FUNimation like...didn't even translate that part and said, "Well, well...lets put our own stuff in here. What could he be saying? Ooh! Got it!"

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:
How does this create a plothole? Even if you include the TV special, you could say that even the Saiyna scientist go off world and fight.
Please don't tell me you're serious.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:
Because it's absolutely false, as blatantly proven later with the Bardock Special. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote:
Because it's absolutely false, as blatantly proven later with the Bardock Special. :?
Besides, its iterated over and over again that Saiya-jins were a bunch of barbarians who know nothing but fighting until the technology they use was given to them by Freeza when they were "hired." They wouldn't have scientists of their kind. Its just not in their blood.

Though a genetic mutation is a possibility, I highly doubt that's what anyone inteded; especially in Dragon Ball.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.