If you were in charge of releasing DB/Z/GT on DVD....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Assuming I had all the money in the world with which to do this;

1: I would have the entire English script rewritten and redubbed to match the Japanese as closely as possible, though it would need to be localized somewhat so it actually makes sense in English.. But I would only make the necessary changes to do so, not just rewrite lines for the hell of it.

I would use a lot of the English cast used on the Orange Box dub, though I would change a few characters here and there, probably with the Ocean Dub actors

2: I would give the option of watching it in full screen or widescreen.

3: Include voices in English, Japanese, German, Spanish, French, and maybe some other languages DB was dubbed in that I am unaware of. I would also include the music for each of the respective versions.

4: I would keep the music and voice tracks isolated from one another, so they could be interchanged with eachother. Ie: you could watch the show in German with Faulconer's music, if you so desire, or whatever other combination you can think of.

5: The show would be in its original, completely uncut format, with the picture being unaltered in any way.

6: Subtitles in multiple languages, including all of the languages there is audio for.

7: Bonus material would include some interviews with some of the voice actors, original animators, and Akira Toriyama. There would also be some concept art.

8: There would be a marathon mode, where you watch episodes back to back with no opening or ending, just the title screen to show the change from one episode to the other.

9: DVD's would be sold individually or in a giant box set, including the whole series. If you buy the box set, you get a code which you can redeem online for a t-shirt or something like that. Also, when the DVD's are lined up next to eachother, they would form a picture, like the Dragon Boxes.
"Welcome to Sex Ed. May all your dreams come true."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Oh yeah, I'd sell them in two halfs, like the Madman Fatpacks. Probably leave GT as a whole.

And maybe a master set, with all three series/three specials/17 movies etc.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 pm

I would have no alternate angles on the discs. Just a Japanese angle. The episode titles could be read by the narrator and the credits being translated into English in the credits. If it was put on TV I would have it slightly edited to TV-PG by removing some of the violence and blood, nudity, and such. I would want a dub with consistent amounts of profanity (although not too much). I would also release "broadcast versions" of the show on DVD as well.
GT is underrated and the International Channel will always be my favorite channel for foreign programming. I still miss it.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Assuming I could do nothing to change the dub that's already there I would....

-Add all of the old Toonami intros as an extra
-Increase the bitrate of the Japanese audio from 96kbps (Unless that's all Funi has access to)
-If we can't have "Cha La Head Cha La" on the dub track, at least change the intro to the full 1:50 Rock the Dragon from Budokai 1 (I know I'm going to get my head chewed off for this, but at least Rock The Dragon is nostalgic and represents the English dub more than the new intro)
-The actual Japanese intros and closings from episodes with their respective credits and not just one from a single episode
-MORE COMMENTARY. Good god, I loved the commentary on Dead Zone, I wish they did this more.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:14 pm

I would remaster the Ocean Dub episodes. Uhh, Dragon Box Big Green Dub? Cmon guys! :-P

Nah, I would still use Dragon Box masters on my DVDs.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:01 am

ImmortalSandwich wrote:4: I would keep the music and voice tracks isolated from one another, so they could be interchanged with eachother. Ie: you could watch the show in German with Faulconer's music, if you so desire, or whatever other combination you can think of.
This alone would make me want to rake out thousands for a set. :)
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:25 am

Here's how mine would be:

Each box set covers a part of the series. The first box set would be the Saiyan Saga-Frieza Saga, the second would be Android-Cell Saga, and the third would be the Buu Saga.

Features
-Dragon Box Video
-Fully Redubbed English Dub (I'm fine with it just being from episode 68 onward, though)
-A featurette featuring interviews, clips, etc
-A video poking fun at the Saban dub edits and the Funi Season 3 Dub
-All of the Toonami intros and promos.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:33 am

I would..

-edit the current DBOX colours to make them look like the footage originally aired in Japan.
-insert next episode preview before ED like the original airing.
-put an audio track includes BGM only.
-stop using Naoyoshi Yamamuro's recent terrible works for covers.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:36 am

kei17 wrote:I would..

-edit the current DBOX colours to make them look like the footage originally aired in Japan.
-insert next episode preview before ED like the original airing.
-put an audio track includes BGM only.
-stop using Naoyoshi Yamamuro's recent terrible works for covers.
Aren't the DBox colors already how it looked when it aired? Or am I missing something?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:48 am

... If we're talking real pie-in-the-sky here?

We all agree we'd want a rewritten, re-recorded dub script. If I was really just able to do anything I'd have two casts read it- FUNi and Ocean, the general favorites from each (for characters who had multiple voices).
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:22 am

I'd do season sets, but packaged like the singles. Each story arc would get it's own boxed set, with full size DVD Jewel cases(or maybe slimpacks), with 3 or 4 episodes on each disc. It would retail for about $45/box, cheaper for small ones like Garlic Jr. Alternatively, you could get individual DVD's for about $10 each. The episodes on each disc would be roughly equivilent to the Funimation single releases.

The content would be a bit different than what Funimation offers.

For the Saiya-jin Saga, you would have the Ultimate Uncut dub as the main feature, with alternate audio for the Japanese version and English voices/Japanese music. There would be alternate angles for the opening credits, episode previews(available in full), episode recaps, title cards, bumpers, and ending credits.

On the same discs, as a bonus, I would include the 1996 Funimation dub. The episodes on each disc would be equivelent to the main episodes on the disc. So, for the first Saiyan Saga DVD, you'd have 4 Ultimate Uncut/Japanese episodes, and 2 or 3 1996 dub episodes.

Another direction to go would be to have the Ocean Group dub re-written dialouge and Dialouge from the parts origionally cut to make an uncut Ocean Dub of the Saiya-jin Saga. This would likely be prohibitively expensive though.

The Namek Saga would be done in a similiar fashion. It would be longer in my release though, to avoid a disjointed Captain Ginyu Saga.

Once you get to that point however, you lose quite ab it of content. The episode count per disc would go up at this point to maintain value. Say 5 or 6 episodes instead of 3 or 4.

This would continue through the Freeza Saga.

Once we get to Trunks, however, we once again have bonus content, in the 2001 Ocean Dub. I'm not sure what the rights status is with these. I know they're supposed to be TV only, so we'll have to overlook that. I'm failry sure Funimation has something to do with it, as they use the same scripts for the most part.

So, for Trunks on, we'll have several different audio channels, with the Uncut Funimation dub being the main feature, and Japanese, Funimation voices with Japanese music, Ocean Dub, and Ocean Voices with Japanese music all being options.

After Trunks, you'd have the Garlic Jr. Saga, Androids Saga, Cell Saga, Cell Games, Annoyoichi Budokai Saga(perhaps putting the Great Saiya-man stuff with this), Babidi Saga, Majin Buu Saga, Fusion Arc, and the Kid Buu Saga, with the Resolution/28th Budokai arc tacked on at the end.

Dragonball and Dragonball GT would be done in a similiar fashion, though I imagine the Blue Water dub of each would be harder to aquire liscense for than the Ocean Dub of DBZ.

For presentation, we'll have Dragonbox video, Subtitles by Daimao for DBZ, and by whoever did them for Dragonball and DB GT. English audio will be mixed in 5.1 surround sound. Japanese audio will be from the best sources available.

You'll get Rock The Dragon, you'll get Head Cha La, you'll get the DBZ theme. You'll get the weird opening used in the orange bricks. And you'll get it all at the proper aspect ratio!

The movies and TV specials will be released similiar to how Funimation did them, but the first 3 will hvae an extra audio channel for their first dub, Movie 3 will come with the 1998 edited dub as an extra, and all the movies will have the option of Funimation voices with Japanese music. Another extra will be letterboxing via a subtitles track to make them widescreen, or since the movies are short, an alternate video track for widescreen. This won't be available on the TV Specials.

Sounds pretty good, huh? When I have all the parts of the sum available, I'll author DVD's like this for my own personal use. The dragonbox video will be hard to get, and so will the more obscure english dubs. English voice tracks with no background music, and japanese background music with no voice track may be impossible. It'd be nice though.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Aren't the DBox colors already how it looked when it aired? Or am I missing something?
My VHS (Original Airing on Fuji TV) and DBOX

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Added:
ImageImage

It's a little bit off-topic but let me explain why the current DBOX's colours are not the same as the original airing's.
You know, the entire Dragon Ball series was recorded on films.
When a film ages, it loses its colours, especially yellow, and gets more reddish.
And generally they do not adjust the colours much when they just "digitally remaster"...
They adjust the colours to make them look like the original cels (not films) when they do "HD remastering".
That means, current DBOX's colours are "aged colours" of the master films.
Haven't you ever minded the green sky on Japanese Dragon Box? :wink:

Maybe you think that my VHS has deteriorated as well, but VHS tape does not lose its colours when it ages.
Last edited by kei17 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:42 am, edited 6 times in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:04 am

Hm. Darker in the first two, lighter in the last one.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:46 am

I agree with almost all of the users who have posted their DVD ideas.

Does anyone have any different ideas?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:51 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Uhh, Dragon Box Big Green Dub? Cmon guys! :-P
If they released everything they dubbed in one boxset I'd sure as hell get it.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:23 am

What about a super-grand huge series box set that's about $800 that contains every UNCUT episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, and all movies and specials...all in one set! Of course, there would be the original Japanese version with English subtitles, a new redub by FUNimation with more accurate dialogue translations, and a whole ton of extra features including "Behind the Scenes" guides, Interviews, Censorship of Early Releases, and a huge 100 page guide book featuring story plots, episode summaries, character guides, attack guides, etc.

Wouldn't that be awesome?
Last edited by ShinRogafuken on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:41 am

ShinRogafuken wrote:What about a super-grand huge series box set that's about $800 that contains every UNCUT episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, and all movies and specials...all in one set! Of course, there would be the original Japanese version with English subtitles, a new redub by FUNimation with more accurate dialogue translations, and a whole ton of extra features including "Behind the Scenes" guides, Interviews, Censorship of Early Releases, and a huge 100 guide book featuring story plots, episode summaries, character guides, attack guides, etc.

You got my vote.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:08 am

Krakabeast wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:What about a super-grand huge series box set that's about $800 that contains every UNCUT episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, and all movies and specials...all in one set! Of course, there would be the original Japanese version with English subtitles, a new redub by FUNimation with more accurate dialogue translations, and a whole ton of extra features including "Behind the Scenes" guides, Interviews, Censorship of Early Releases, and a huge 100 guide book featuring story plots, episode summaries, character guides, attack guides, etc.

You got my vote.
Thanks, any other features it should have?

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:00 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:
Krakabeast wrote:

You got my vote.
Toriyama commentary on every episode of each series! Translated of course.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:01 pm

Krakabeast wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:
Krakabeast wrote: You got my vote.
Toriyama commentary on every episode of each series! Translated of course.
For some reason, I don't think Akira Toriyama would want to do that XD.

Of all DB fans, Toriyama cares the least about the series. :roll: