Did Gohan actually want to be an acamdemic when he was a kid?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Did Gohan actually want to be an acamdemic when he was a kid?

Post by Peach » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 pm

I know as an adult, he grew to love it. He went into scholarly work and started attending conferences and stuff.

But as a kid, didn't he seem miserable studying and doing that stuff? I always thought he only did it to appraise Chichi or stop her from getting angry. It seemed more like Chichi's dream for Gohan than something he actually wanted to do. He seemed perfectly content just hanging out with Icarus & Krillin and training to me.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Did Gohan actually want to be an acamdemic when he was a kid?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 pm I know as an adult, he grew to love it. He went into scholarly work and started attending conferences and stuff.

But as a kid, didn't he seem miserable studying and doing that stuff? I always thought he only did it to appraise Chichi or stop her from getting angry. It seemed more like Chichi's dream for Gohan than something he actually wanted to do. He seemed perfectly content just hanging out with Icarus & Krillin and training to me.
Chichi may have pushed it on him a bit (although I think it's likely that she saw how bright he was and really encouraged his studies), but Gohan being miserable studying is a staple of the movies and filler. Icarus is entirely a filler character, and Toei's characterization for Gohan has him being much more headstrong and wanting to fight than Toriyama's version.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:00 pm

I have little doubt that Chichi instilled in Gohan a passion for learning but what it probably did was tap into a natural aptitude for academia that was already there. My opinion is that he was more predisposed to that than his father who has very little in the way of formal education.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:53 am

Gohan says he wants to become a scientist several times, and all scenes that imply otherwise are Toei filler.

Who the actual hell is "Icarus"? Did you mean to write Piccolo?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am

Adamant wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:53 am Gohan says he wants to become a scientist several times, and all scenes that imply otherwise are Toei filler.

Who the actual hell is "Icarus"? Did you mean to write Piccolo?
Icarus is the cute purple dragon from some of the early Z movies and filler episodes (ie Garlic Jr saga).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am Icarus is the cute purple dragon from some of the early Z movies and filler episodes (ie Garlic Jr saga).
Oh, Hire Dragon?
Goddammit Funi, at least try to make your dub names SOMEWHAT recognizable.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 pm

Adamant wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:43 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am Icarus is the cute purple dragon from some of the early Z movies and filler episodes (ie Garlic Jr saga).
Oh, Hire Dragon?
Goddammit Funi, at least try to make your dub names SOMEWHAT recognizable.
Haha correct! That's funny because I literally JUST found out earlier today that his name is Hire Dragon. How you go from that to Icarus I'll never know.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:03 pm

Gohan flat out told Piccolo he want to an academic when he was kidnapped...boy even asked for notes & pencils yo😂😅

As pre-teen later teenager, it becomes sort of responsibility as in rl. Dude just went with the ride

Gotta say if only dude was as privileged as Goku or Vegeta to train throughout their lives, dude would've been...gosh, maybe beyond Ultimate form? Touchin Vegito? Dang😅😂