Ginyu Force questions

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Ginyu Force questions

Post by Fuujin » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:48 pm

I'm working on a Ginyu Force site and I need some information...

1. I've seen Guldo listed on some sites as a "Bas-jin", were did that come from? I don't recall hearing it in the anime.

2. For people who watch/read versions of DBZ other than English and Japanese - how were the Ginyu Force handled in other countries? How were their voices in the anime? Any name changes? Strange dialogue?

3. Are there any other Ginyu cameos after Freeza Saga, aside from: the "Paikuhan in hell" one, the one when they were watching the Goku vs Buu fight, movie 12 and Super #17 Saga in GT?

4. Ginyu Force (and many, many, MAAAANY other characters in various mangas) seem to be parodying of japanese live-action superhero shows, can anyone give me some more detailed information on the subject? Maybe Toriyama says something more about the origin of Ginyu Force in some interview?

5. Last question - anyone seen any interesting Ginyu Force fanarts/fanfics? All I know about are the ones that were on now dead Michi no Chikara.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:08 pm

3. I think you named them all!

4. Kid shows in Japan like Sentei (or somethin') rangers (Power Rangers before coming in US and others), Ultraman, basically super heroes and villains in weird, rubber suits and stuff! This is where the idea of the Great Saiyaman came from!
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:12 pm

This will help you with the Sentai question:
http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=879
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Muten Turtel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muten Turtel » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:04 pm

I have one strange Cameo for you. In the Cell games during Gohan's birthday episode we see a frog crying outside the window, it's spoted and has the two antennae so I think it's captain Ginyu.
http://s8.invisionfree.com/Dragon_Ball_Haven/index.php?act=idx -Dragonball Forums

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: Ginyu Force questions

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:07 pm

Fuujin wrote: 3. Are there any other Ginyu cameos after Freeza Saga, aside from: the "Paikuhan in hell" one, the one when they were watching the Goku vs Buu fight, movie 12 and Super #17 Saga in GT?
Are you counting when they fight the humans on Kaiou's planet, and then get sent to hell? Oh, I mean HFIL!!! 1337!!111
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:22 pm

If we're going to start listing Ginyu Frog cameos

-The episode where Gohan makes a wish to Porunga shows Ginyu Frog crying.
-The very last episode of the Freeza arc shows that Ginyu Frog is now ruler over Dr.Breif's green house, heh.

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Ginyu Force questions

Post by Adamant » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:25 pm

Fuujin wrote:
2. For people who watch/read versions of DBZ other than English and Japanese - how were the Ginyu Force handled in other countries? How were their voices in the anime? Any name changes? Strange dialogue?
Well, I'll give you the danish names, at least:
Rikoom, Barta, Jeeze, Guldo and Ginyu.
The danish translators tend to give the characters names that are close to the original, but completely eliminates the pun.

Stupid lines.. well, their "motto", or whatever, is "In smoka and steam, we'll head into battle" or something.

Though Ginyu does have one of the best lines in the entire series: "Det tilgiver jeg aldrig den skidestøvle!" (Directly translated: "I'll never forgive that bastard for that." (referring to Goku killing half his group, messing up their pose). It just sounds a lot cooler.)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:27 am

Frobman wrote:3. I think you named them all!

4. Kid shows in Japan like Sentei (or somethin') rangers (Power Rangers before coming in US and others), Ultraman, basically super heroes and villains in weird, rubber suits and stuff! This is where the idea of the Great Saiyaman came from!
The ironic thing on the Sentai connection is that Toei does that show as well. Though there was never as much of the guys doing the pose making such a big deal out of it like the Ginyu Force did in either Sentai, or Power Rangers.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:43 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:If we're going to start listing Ginyu Frog cameos

-The very last episode of the Freeza arc shows that Ginyu Frog is now ruler over Dr.Breif's green house, heh.
Oh! I remember before the Cell Games, Gohan had his birthday, and Captain Ginyu the Frog was watching it.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:26 am

Thanks for the support, guys! Now that leaves us with "the Bas-jin conspiracy" and the fan-stuff. Any of the resident fanfic fans (heh) know some?
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:08 am

Izlude wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:If we're going to start listing Ginyu Frog cameos

Oh! I remember before the Cell Games, Gohan had his birthday, and Captain Ginyu the Frog was watching it.
The 25th Ten. Budo. where Gohan/ Gt. Saiyaman picked up a Ginyu frog.
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:43 pm

Do you think Ginyu likes being a frog now? Does he have a Mrs. Frog somewhere? Any kids?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:22 pm

Rocketman wrote:Do you think Ginyu likes being a frog now? Does he have a Mrs. Frog somewhere? Any kids?
Actually, there was that girl frog that was all over him in the Freeza saga...