Talkin' 'bout Regeneration

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goodguy777
Banned

Re: Talkin' 'bout Regeneration

Post by goodguy777 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:40 pm

rereboy wrote:
goodguy777 wrote:
Like I said, no rules were introduced at first, it's fans who made the rules from the beginning. Answer this first.

Are you trying to say that hole in the chest will not kill [Buu Arc]Dende?
Just because something is only later explained, that doesn`t mean that the explanation should apparently contradict what happened before.

For example, when Vegeta explained exactly how a Sayan turns into an Oozaru, if his explanation had contradicted what happened before (when a Sayan transformed into an Oozaru) then the explanation would create inconsistencies in the story.

Its the same thing with the regeneration. Never before had a Namek been able to regenerate just from the head (including Piccolo). Quite the contrary, they died with wounds that had nothing to do with the head. But, all of the sudden, Piccolo says he can and he even does it. This is obviously a contradiction, in my opinon.

As for if dende would be able to do the same as Piccolo... I bet that in the Namek saga he wouldnt. But in the buu saga he might, just because of that sudden statement of Piccolo. He shouldn`t be able to, but it was Toriyama who said the rule.
Dende doesn't know how to do that ability(no on panel showings), that explains why the others died.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:57 pm

goodguy777 wrote:
rereboy wrote:
goodguy777 wrote:
Like I said, no rules were introduced at first, it's fans who made the rules from the beginning. Answer this first.

Are you trying to say that hole in the chest will not kill [Buu Arc]Dende?
Just because something is only later explained, that doesn`t mean that the explanation should apparently contradict what happened before.

For example, when Vegeta explained exactly how a Sayan turns into an Oozaru, if his explanation had contradicted what happened before (when a Sayan transformed into an Oozaru) then the explanation would create inconsistencies in the story.

Its the same thing with the regeneration. Never before had a Namek been able to regenerate just from the head (including Piccolo). Quite the contrary, they died with wounds that had nothing to do with the head. But, all of the sudden, Piccolo says he can and he even does it. This is obviously a contradiction, in my opinon.

As for if dende would be able to do the same as Piccolo... I bet that in the Namek saga he wouldnt. But in the buu saga he might, just because of that sudden statement of Piccolo. He shouldn`t be able to, but it was Toriyama who said the rule.
Dende doesn't know how to do that ability(no on panel showings), that explains why the others died.
That`s one theory, along with many others we can think of.

The point is Toriyama didn`t explain properly. And because of the inconsistencies that the explanation created, we can come up with many theories about it, each one as valid as the next.

It will never be a closed subject and nobody will have a more correct theory than the next guy.

For example, I can say that dende would be able to regenerate with just his head and you can say he wouldn`t. Who is right? Nobody knows because the story has enough inconsistencies about the subject to sustain both our opinions.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:37 pm

It could be explained as an evolution of Piccolo's power. Having fused with Nail and Kami, by the time Buu comes around, Piccolo is theoretically the most powerful Namekian in existence. That could apply to increased regenerative ability as well as fighting ability.
I can see their parachutes.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:16 am

rereboy wrote:

The point is Toriyama didn`t explain properly. And because of the inconsistencies that the explanation created, we can come up with many theories about it, each one as valid as the next.

It will never be a closed subject and nobody will have a more correct theory than the next guy.

For example, I can say that dende would be able to regenerate with just his head and you can say he wouldn`t. Who is right? Nobody knows because the story has enough inconsistencies about the subject to sustain both our opinions.
No on panel showings are not theory, it only means that there is no evidence.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:40 am

goodguy777 wrote:
rereboy wrote:

Umm...theories are hypotheses not backed up by much fact.
We have the fact that there are Namekians with the ability to regenerate. Thus, we can form a theory on the matter.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:10 am

Godo wrote:
goodguy777 wrote:
rereboy wrote:

We have the fact that there are Namekians with the ability to regenerate. Thus, we can form a theory on the matter.
Humans have the ability to swim but not all humans can do it.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:37 am

I like the idea that all Namekians can regenerate lost limbs but they need to be more powerful in order to repair major damage to the torso. Kind of like how humans who are weak and get punched by an average human recoil from the blow. Powerful humans receiving an average blow are not even phased in the Dragonball world. Many of the blows recieved by the characters in the series can dent metal and shatter solid rock yet are recieved like an average blow or nothing at all depending on the recipiant. That would mean certain Saiyan or Human characters, while not being able to grow back limbs, can heal from attacks that would crush your average joe. So in a similar way, some Namekians excellent natural regeneration abilities are made even more efficant then your average Namekian. Still, it seems some blows to the torso can still hurt strong Namekians like Piccolo if he is struck by a stronger enemy (just like how Son Goku killed Piccolo Daimaou).
Last edited by Maphisto86 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:40 am

Maybe as Piccolo got stronger, his healing factor increased as well?
That's the way I always figured it.

King Piccolo (260) - Too weak to regenerate anything.
Piccolo (408) - Can regenerate an arm but doesn't do it during the battle with Raditz because of time and amount of ki used in the process.
Nail (42,000) - Quickly and easily regenerates his arm, though Freeza notes the decrease in his power after he does so.

By the Buu Saga Piccolo's just got so much energy now that he can easily and quickly regenerate far more of his body than he could before, or that any other Namek could do.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:48 am

Xyex wrote:
Maybe as Piccolo got stronger, his healing factor increased as well?
That's the way I always figured it.

King Piccolo (260) - Too weak to regenerate anything.
Piccolo (408) - Can regenerate an arm but doesn't do it during the battle with Raditz because of time and amount of ki used in the process.
Nail (42,000) - Quickly and easily regenerates his arm, though Freeza notes the decrease in his power after he does so.

By the Buu Saga Piccolo's just got so much energy now that he can easily and quickly regenerate far more of his body than he could before, or that any other Namek could do.
Well said, simple but clear. I think King Piccolo regenerated an extra finger making it 5 instead of 4.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 am

goodguy777 wrote:
Godo wrote:
goodguy777 wrote: No on panel showings are not theory, it only means that there is no evidence.
Humans have the ability to swim but not all humans can do it.
But you can easily form a theory that a random guy, let's say John from Minnesota knows how to swim, since it's common.

Or something uncommon: The human body should be able to become as fit as Bruce Lee's body. If he did it, other people can too by using his methods.

Or if humans can run, say 10km/h, it's plausible to think that more than one human can reach that speed.

Are you getting my point yet?

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:01 am

Forgive me for having to ask this, but have we ever seen a non-warrior type Namekian regenerate? If not, maybe its because when Demon King Piccolo split from Kami, he was still part of the dragon clan (or maybe theres another, more official term, can't remember) and he didn't have the ability. But once his "son" was born, as part of the warrior clan, he had the ability.

And about Piccolo's/Namekian's regenerating abilities getting better as he/they get stronger, maybe Piccolo's ability got better once he fused with Kami and became whole again.

Chances are there are holes here that I don't see, but thats my view on this.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 pm

verto wrote:Forgive me for having to ask this, but have we ever seen a non-warrior type Namekian regenerate? If not, maybe its because when Demon King Piccolo split from Kami, he was still part of the dragon clan (or maybe theres another, more official term, can't remember) and he didn't have the ability. But once his "son" was born, as part of the warrior clan, he had the ability.

And about Piccolo's/Namekian's regenerating abilities getting better as he/they get stronger, maybe Piccolo's ability got better once he fused with Kami and became whole again.

Chances are there are holes here that I don't see, but thats my view on this.
You've got a good point. Piccolo Daimao probably was a dragon clan Namekian, and Piccolo was a warrior type. And we've only seen Piccolo and Nail regenerate.