Japanese numbers for androids

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Japanese numbers for androids

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:10 pm

I know that the numbers in Japanese go something like:
Ichi, Ni, San, Shi (could be something else?), Go, Roku, Shichi(Could be something else?), Hachi, Kyu, Jyuu, Jyuu-Ichi, and so on, with combinations like "ten-six" for sixteen, and "three-ten-five" for thirty-five.

But how exactly do you name the androids? I've been seeing lots of names and not being exactly sure which android people are referring to, although I'm postive I used to know how it went. Did I actually forget how to count in Japanese, or what else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance, guys...

Edit: Actually, is it 1-10-6, and not 10-6 for 16?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:41 pm

Let's take #16 for example. 6 is "roku." 10 is "juu." 16 is "juuroku."

When you're just talking about 10-19, you don't need to say "ichijuu" to signify you're in the 10s. Once you hit 20, though, you need to (for example, "nijuu" is "20"... two 10s).

That make sense?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:45 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. I know that 4 and 7 have alternative names for superstitous people, or something like that. Shi means death, something like that. What are the other names for those numbers?

And yeah, how do you name the androids / cyborgs?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:18 pm

The other name for 4 is yon, which comes from yottsu in the old numbering system, and 7 is nana, from nanatsu. Yon and nana are the ones used with the jinzouningen namings, in fact.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:29 pm

Yep, Rach pretty much explained that. As for naming the jinzoningen, it's pretty much this format:

Jinzoningen (actual number)-gou

... with "jinzoningen" being the literal "artificial human," thier number, followed by "gou" which is kinda like a counting-number indicator (such as how we say "Number 18").
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:52 pm

So Jinzoningen Juuhachi-gou is Artificial Human 18? (I'm not good with Japanese spelling)

Oh, and Hachan, or whatever it is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just #8's name from Goku, right? Taking a bit from hachi and the name suffix chan? I can't be sure without asking, you know...

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:56 pm

Since you guys are on the subject how do I say Jake in Japanese. Also how do I say 4 . If someone can tell me I would be grateful. :D
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:58 pm

Well, "Jake" is an English / American name, so there's really no Japanese "translation" of it. Romanized, though, it would probably sound like:

"jae - ku"

The number four can be said as either "shi" or "yon" (as noted, "shi" isn't always used because it implies "death").

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:01 am

I will admit to not being really very good with Japanese suffixes, so I'm curious...who translates Goku's nickname for #8 better? Viz, with "Eight-man", or FUNI/Blue Water, with "Eighter"?

Also, I question the sanity of someone who would write out "Jinzoningen Juuhachi-gou" instead of just typing "#16".
Last edited by PsyLiam on Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:03 am

You know, I was just thinking that, Psyliam. Anyway, chan means friend, right? (It's deeper than that, but I'm not going further) Saying Eight-friend wouldn't make too much sense. So both Eighter and Eightman work well.
Jakez04 wrote:Since you guys are on the subject how do I say Jake in Japanese. Also how do I say 4 . If someone can tell me I would be grateful. :D
Trying to learn your username in Japanese, are you? That kind of thing is only fun when you've got actual words in the name, if you ask me. But yeah, you heard VegEX.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:33 pm

I like "Eighter" for #8 much better, since it seems more affectionate than Eight-Man. I've never actually seen "Eight-man." Hacchan does come from Hachi + chan.

Jakez04, your name in Japanese would be "jeikku," I think. I'm not certain, but I think the doubl consonant is necessary. I know Mark is "Makku." The double consonant signifies a sort of pause in speech. Without the double consonant, each syllable should be given even inflection. For example, Makku sounds like Mark, while Maku sounds like Mac.

Mahk-ku vs Ma-ku

I'm pretty sure it would be Jeikku.

Anyhow, for convenience, and since no one has posted yet, here's the names of the jinzouningen we see in DB.

#8 - Hachigou. aka Hacchan. (eight-number)
#13 - Juusangou (ten-three-number)
#14 - Juuyongou (ten-four-number)
#15 - Juugogou
#16 - Juurokugou (etc, etc, etc)
#17 - Juunanagou
#18 - Juuhachigou
#19 - Juukyuugou (ten-nine-number)
#20 - Nijuugou (two-ten-number)

I've gotten into quite a few debates over the years with morons online as to what is the proper spelling of their names. Mostly these arguments involved me and some joker trying to make a cool screename on AOL, me telling him it's wrong cause he's an asshole, and then him trying to argue that he isn't. In fact, I got in one of these arguments like three weeks ago.

Anyway, while we don't really need to worry about this sort of stuff, if you were going to actually speak Japanese with someone, talking about the jinzouningen, the following stuff would apply:
The double U in "juu" is absolutely necessary.
The U in "gou" is also absolutely necessary.
Without the extra syllable, the double vowel, "juu" and "gou" turn into "ju" and "go," which are different words. Just look at #15's name, which is juu-go-gou. Ten-five-number. Take away that vowel and it turns into Juugogo...and what's that ? (55!)

An even longer explanation?
When you see a Japanese word with a double vowel, it's almost always meant to draw the vowel sound out for another beat (this is because the vowels in Japanese are their own syllables - here's a hiragana chart of the syllables for some clarity: http://gladstone.vsb.bc.ca/lang/hiraganachart.jpg ).
The Japanese syllables in #18 are "ju-u-ha-chi-go-u," while in English it would just be "juu-ha-chi-gou." Also, the Japanese U sounds like "oo" not "you."

Basically, if you want to say their names properly, you gotta draw out that vowel, otherwise it is a different word to the Japanese. Obviously, we as English speakers are just gonna say jewhachigo and not joooo-hachi-gohhh cause we speak ENGLISH. I'm just lettin ya'll know. :D This sorta stuff gets shortened all the time in translations, though, cause the average person reading isn't gonna know that the "gou" is said "goh" instead of "goo."

Man, it's hard for me not to be long-winded on this. I hope I'm just not repeating a bunch of crap you guys already knew, and I hope it wasn't too confusing and assuming.

Oh yeah (this might be factoid worthy). There's a stupid myth/rumor that's always gone around about how Cell is REALLY Nijuuichigou, or #21, which I've always scoffed at for a long time. Why isn't he? Technically, Cell is the 21st creation of Gero's, but he's clearly labeled and referred to in the the manga as Jinzouningen Seru. Artificial Human Cell.

Hmmm, I think I might post this whole thing on my shrine. =rubs chin= Yeah, I think I will.
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:51 pm

Do we really know that Gero started on Cell after all the others?

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:03 pm

Probably not... He had been monitoring Goku and the rest for info and DNA ever since he was a kid. So he was probably constructing Cell already by then. Although this really is never backed up anywhere..... Is there?
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Thanks 18, and that's an interesting chart. It's all cute, and colorful, unlike the one at polykarbon that I use. However, I can't understand why certain sounds I saw were grouped together... Well, don't worry about that.

Oh, and wouldn't Jyuu-go-go not really mean anything? 55 is Go-Jyuu-Go, I think. Just something to remember if you're posting that on your site as well. (I wonder if Jyuugogo is the Japanese equivelent of making up numbers like Eleventy?)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:41 pm

Do we really know that Gero started on Cell after all the others?
NO he is not. Started that is. Gero switched to trying with genetics/cloning but then stopped when he realived how ruddy long it would take (and his computer did the rest, blabla, etc). Since we know for a fact that he was obsessed w/killing Goku after #8, we can assume this originally started before the fall of the Red Ribbon Army.
The fact that Gero was keeping #17 and #18 in reserve was probably him taking into account Cell's need for 00ber infinite power.
Oh, and Hachan, or whatever it is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just #8's name from Goku, right? Taking a bit from hachi and the name suffix chan?
That's his japanese name (given by Goku)? Then why the fucknuts did the french manga translate it to "Franky 8"?! :x There's no cause for it!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:08 am

Dayspring wrote:That's his japanese name (given by Goku)? Then why the fucknuts did the french manga translate it to "Franky 8"?! :x There's no cause for it!
Franky 8? That's just sad. But yeah, It should be some two syllable nickname with 8 in it that is shows they are friends. This is why Eighter and Eightman are good translations, but at least for subs and manga, I say you just write "8-chan" the way most fans do...

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:37 am

Is it possibly some sort of "Frankenstein" pun?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:41 am

Well, of course. If you need a reminder of just what exactly he looked like, do a google image search for android 8, or something like that. Bam, if that's not Frankenstein, I don't know what is.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:08 am

Personally, I hate people who get wound up over silly, pathetic little things. I wonder why they don't have anything better to do with their lives than show off useless knowledge that no-one cares about. I pity them. I detest them.

*cough*

"Frankenstein's Monster".

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:18 am

I guess that means you hate yourself, doesn't it?

Yeah, I always thought of him as Frankenstein's creation. But since everyone else calls him Frankenstein, I do too. I'm just trying to fit in! Is that so wrong?! What kind of world is this where children cannot roam the streets without fear of being smacked for calling that bolt-necked ugly Frankenstein?