Tenshinhan Looking At Yajirobe Or Kami?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bizness86

Tenshinhan Looking At Yajirobe Or Kami?

Post by bizness86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Would Tenshinhan really be exhausted from fighting Yajirobe? Also, it seems as if Tenshinhan is facing Kami, who is further off into the distance. Perhaps both Yajirobe and Tenshinhan are up against Kami...? Which seems to mean that at this time Kami was stronger...

Thoughts?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Tenshinhan At Yajirobe or Kami?

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Well, he may have been training by himself rather than sparring with either of them. On the other hand, Tenshinhan being out of breath from fighting Yajirobe might not be that strange. Yajirobe was pretty much even with Goku when the two first met, which was right after Goku had fought Tenshinhan. Goku even thought to himself that he'd never met someone as resilient as Yajirobe, which almost seems to imply that he was more impressive than Tenshinhan at that point! The guy may be a lazy coward, but he was freakin' tough when he was first introduced.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Yajirobe prolly has outrageous durability like nappa. Tires people out that fatass.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Is Yaji eating or meditating there?

I always assumed Tien was training by himself right there.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

bizness86

Post by bizness86 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 am

I'd like to assume that he may be up against Kami, just for the reason that he's facing in his direction. Tenshinhan at Budokai 23 was included in Kamesennin's as the four strongest in the world (Goku, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Shen). While yajirobe was mentioned to be strong (Krillin), Goku seemed particularly impressed with Tenshinhan on multiple terms; all the while even Tenshinhan was awed by Shen's and Piccolo's battle. I'm assuming that even through training Tenshinhan would have been a bit less powerful than Kami.

I'd assume that Yajirobe is meditating.

peter291
Not-So-Newbie

Post by peter291 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 am

I would say that Yaijirobe is pretending to medidate, as Kami's watching them. In fact he thinks of some tasty food :lol: Quite plausible scenario, isn't it?

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 am

First off... #DBZsubbed
*shaking my head* this is shameful. Support the official release! (Buy your manga)

Secondly... no. Tenshinhan is not "fighting" Yajirobe in this scene. Why would he be? Yajirobe is sitting down, not even facing Tenshinhan. Tenshinhan, apparently is just doing his own training in this scene.

Maybe this is how Krillin was able to sneak ahead of Tenshinhan. He hogged Chaotzu to himself, and improved his training by sparring. Whereas Tenshinhan was stuck with Yajirobe, who at no point would cooperate.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:24 am

FindKenshi wrote:First off... #DBZsubbed
*shaking my head* this is shameful. Support the official release! (Buy your manga)

Secondly... no. Tenshinhan is not "fighting" Yajirobe in this scene. Why would he be? Yajirobe is sitting down, not even facing Tenshinhan. Tenshinhan, apparently is just doing his own training in this scene.

Maybe this is how Krillin was able to sneak ahead of Tenshinhan. He hogged Chaotzu to himself, and improved his training by sparring. Whereas Tenshinhan was stuck with Yajirobe, who at no point would cooperate.
Krillin wasn't able to sneak ahead of Tenshinhan,because,after this training Tenshinhan still was the strongest.

On topic,i think Tenshinhan was in a class of his own,therefore,it makes perfect sense that he is training alone or he was sparring with Kami not Yajirobe who is meditating.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am

If you have bought the manga, would you prefer to bother scanning & upload an image, when you can find the image imidiately with some clicks? Just because he showed us a pirated image doesn't mean that he hasn't bought the manga. Not to mention that Dragon Ball manga isn't available to buy in every single corner of the world, not everyone has credit card to buy it from online stores, and not everyone affords the money to buy the whole manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

bizness86

Re: Tenshinhan Looking At Yajirobe Or Kami?

Post by bizness86 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:34 pm

I'll add this:

I own Dragon Ball VIZBIG Vol 3. I own Dragon Ball Z VIZBIG Vol 1, 2, 5-9. I currently await (via mail) Dragon Ball VIZBIG Vol 1, 2, 4, 5. I also await Dragon Ball Z VIZBIG Vol 3, 4, which kinda sucked, because I just literally saw both volumes in a Barnes and Noble, and all instincts told me to grab them and run...

I use an easily accessible copy purely for two reasons:
  • convenience.
  • I needed no dialogue context; I only needed the illustrations; nothing said on the page was relevant; only the fact that Tenshinhan seems to be facing Kami, whilst Yajirobe is sitting between them.
As for the original post, I'll add that perhaps even Ten and Yajirobe and taking turns with Kami; I don't find it incredibly hard to believe, and it could possibly show room for Kami's and Popo's improvement as well...? Speculative, at best, I suppose, but Tenshinhan is facing Kami...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm

I never thought that Tenshinhan was looking at anyone in particular. I thought he was just standing there, panting after training.

If he was looking at someone, the perspective seems to suggest that it's God. So perhaps it's either that he was just training by himself, but looking towards God to see if he liked what he was doing, or he was sparring with God.

I think Yajirobe was either eating or meditating. But I always assumed the former. I don't know how it could be interpreted that Yajirobe is doing any kind of physical training in that panel, since he's just sitting on the floor. I don't think Yajirobe took the training that seriously, since he didn't even want to fight the Saiyans in the first place and, clearly uncomfortable, asked God if he could take his weighted clothing off at the end of their training.

And when it showed everyone training (the Earthlings, after they'd completed their training at God's Palace and descended back to the lower realm to hone their skills before the battle), Yajirobe was the only one who didn't have his weighted clothing on and was just eating.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Okay, I have a question: if this is a scan of the Viz manga, how come Mr. Popo has his lips? I can't recall a single printing where they didn't give him facial surgery. The only time they missed it was on a title page during the fight with Nappa and Vegeta.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Okay, I have a question: if this is a scan of the Viz manga, how come Mr. Popo has his lips? I can't recall a single printing where they didn't give him facial surgery. The only time they missed it was on a title page during the fight with Nappa and Vegeta.
Perhaps it's not Viz, or a different version of the manga that just took Viz's translation (like Gollancz). Or someone edited it.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 pm

It's Viz. Trust me, I own the comic, that most certainly is the work of Viz. What's more, that is older Viz work, back when they were releasing the manga as a "comic" on full 8.5 x 11 paper.

(Note: before I'm "corrected", yes I realize the "comic book" style Viz was releasing wasn't actually 8.5 x 11 exactly, so sue me, lol I'm generalizing here, it was "about that big.")

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:00 am

It looks like Tenshinhan is looking at God in that scene. Maybe he was eager to impress him.

I don't see how you thought he was looking at/training with Yajirobe xD
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

FindKenshi wrote:It's Viz. Trust me, I own the comic, that most certainly is the work of Viz. What's more, that is older Viz work, back when they were releasing the manga as a "comic" on full 8.5 x 11 paper.

(Note: before I'm "corrected", yes I realize the "comic book" style Viz was releasing wasn't actually 8.5 x 11 exactly, so sue me, lol I'm generalizing here, it was "about that big.")
No, I mean, I have the first four Z volumes from Gollancz, and it's almost exactly like Viz's. I think the main difference is the somewhat reduced quality in paper and maybe a couple of omitted chapter title pages at the end.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 pm

It's definitely the old VIZ comic book version. They didn't censor Mr. Popo's lips back then.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:50 am

It seems like he's looking at God. If I were to guess what he was thinking it'd be:
"Isn't he going to train us himself?"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 pm

dbgtFO wrote:It seems like he's looking at God. If I were to guess what he was thinking it'd be:
"Isn't he going to train us himself?"
Or "He's looking over at me...what is he thinking? Does he believe we're doing enough to defeat the Saiyans?"

Relight
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Relight » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 am

Okay Kenshi, I'll buy the entire manga boxset. Do you have $787 I could borrow? Or if we could meet up at a Borders near me, 20$ per volume you could lend me? Take your time, I'll wait.
NWO Control - 4 8 15 16 23 42 - Immortal Technique !!
That is ssk's coolest post ever.~Janitor | SSK31 / Taro