Why didn't Goku just fetch the Dragon radar himself?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Why didn't Goku just fetch the Dragon radar himself?

Post by Fizzer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 pm

During the Boo arc, instead of sending Trunks to get the Dragon radar, then teleporting to Boo to distract him and buy time for Trunks, why didn't Goku just teleport to the Capsule Corporation and fetch the radar himself, avoiding all the messing about and having to go SSJ3 and burn up his remaining time on Earth?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't Goku just fetch the Dragon radar himself?

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Gokuu probably couldn't sense the ki of Blooma's parents. If he can't sense the ki, then he can't use Instantaneous movement.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Buu was heading to the city the radar was in anyway. For Goku to look for the radar would leave nothing to hold Buu off from destroying things (maybe something of value).
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Gokuu probably couldn't sense the ki of Blooma's parents. If he can't sense the ki, then he can't use Instantaneous movement.
He doesn't need to, there is plenty of people living there, even if he can't teleport to the exact location, he can make it much quicker than Trunks.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Don't we remember what happened the last time Goku tried to find his way around West City all on his own? :P
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Kaboom wrote:Don't we remember what happened the last time Goku tried to find his way around West City all on his own? :P
Enlighten me, oh wise one. :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 pm

deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:45 am

Cheers! Kaboom.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:33 am

I think he wanted to test out how strong Buu was, as well.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:08 am

...And use SSj3 for no reason, even after he'd said just moments before that he didn't want to have to go that far. It's simply a plot device to introduce SSj3. I wouldn't put too much thought into the "whys".
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 am

Out-of-universe: everyone in the Boo arc were using the plot device of the Idiot Ball, so it was nothing more than an excuse for Toriyama to show off Super Saiyan 3.

In-universe: Gokuu may’ve figured that Trunks would be able to get to the Dragon Radar faster because he knew Blooma’s parents better than him (flawed logic, but Gokuu’s stupid and/or he may not have been thinking clearly under stress), and/or he wanted to stop Boo destroying the inhabitants of West City at all…well, most costs. Also, he wanted to test out Boo’s strength, because he’s a Saiyan, but maybe because he wanted to prove to himself that he wasn’t enough to defeat Boo after all and their only hope was in the boys.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Goku didn't know where exactly the Dragon Radar was. He could've teleported Trunks, though.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Simple answer is Goku wanted to have fun with Buu. It's exactly the same reason why he didn't kill him too. He wanted the others to have fun with Buu.. You know dying and stuff.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 pm

I guess he wanted to keep West City as safe as possible while Trunks got the radar. I mean, I guess time was kinda the essence then.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I think that Goku just didn't have time to think, and went ahead and sent Trunks to get the radar. Also he wanted to have some time with Boo. Basically Toriyama just wanted a way to introduce Super Saiyan 3.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:22 pm

This is starting to make it sound like Goku is getting addicted to experiencing death, :lol:.
And he wants to get everyone else to try some, but he still has moral objections to killing people for the lulz.
But he's more addicted to fighting, of course.
... o.o I think I've just thought of the worst fanfic ever (barring MyImmortal).

But, yeah, the out-of-universe explanation of introducing SSJ3 seems to be the most logical explanation. I'm having trouble thinking of situations where Goku can come up with great split-second strategy under stress (other than fighting tactics, which ninjaing the dragon radar is not).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Monkey D Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Monkey D Goku » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Goku probably did it that way so he could take a look at the warrior who killed his rival and "supposedly" killed his son.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear Leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering - Yoda

I use to be a adventurer like you,till I took an arrow in the knee - Generic Skyrim Guard