How did the Kaioken X4 not obliterate Vegeta?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Re: How did the Kaioken X4 not obliterate Vegeta?

Post by caejones » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:38 am

Rocketman wrote:It's almost like flat numerical comparisons aren't the be-all and end-all of fighting.
I think I love you. :)
Piccolo says effectively the same thing to #20, having demonstrated it time and time again before then.

But if we must get mathy, think about stuff like body composition (Saibamen look like cabbages, and I recall a scene from a non-superpowered anime in which someone unintentionally exploded a cabbage by trying to kick it). Meanwhile, humans, especially well-trained ones, especially the super-well-trained ones like Saiyans like Vegeta, can take considerably more than a cabbage. (Though, I suppose by this token we should have expected Saibamen to lose bodyparts while fighting...)
Then there's pressure. How ki maps to real-world physics is merky at best, but irl we use blades and drills instead of hammers for a reason. I'd call the kamehameha more of a hammer than a blade. Now, let's try a sledgehammer roughly you-sized, partly slowed by your own sledgehammer that it just knocked out of your hands, with you being able to put up some kinda defense. Even if this thing comes at you with way more power than you can put against it, you're going flying. But what else?
Or better yet. Get hit by a bus that had to bust through a stack of bricks to get at you, while you are braced for the impact and know how to avoid a bone-shattering landing.
Given the choice between a buzzsaw through the chest and the bus, which would you expect to survive?
Now, I'm not about to go throw myself in front of a bus to test this (that's what we have Mythbusters for), but... that's an anlogy, I guess?

In Cell's case, set the bus on fire, and make it bigger, and take away the bracing-for-disaster.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
Toadster wrote:I think Vegeta's Galick Gun weakened the blast some.
Then how was Gohan able to obliterate Cell? Shouldn't Cell's Kamehameha have softened the blast?
Cell was engulfed, which (IMO at least) makes all the difference. Only the 'head' of the attack is likely to lose much in the way of energy, the stream that follows will still have full force to it. Beyond that, the Cell/Gohan power gap is most likely quite a bit larger, and Cell was also distracted before being hit.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Wouldn't 'because AT didn't want to kill him off' suffice? I mean, talk about anti-climatic endings...
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

Vegeta's durability and the bulk of the Kamehameha's power being used to counter Vegeta's blast. Because of this, I think that by the time it hits Vegeta, it could've been a much weaker blast, allowing him to roll off it before it caused further damage. Every ounce of Vegetas power was being used to try to push the kamehameha back. When it finally directly hits him, he could've weakened it enough so it wouldn't obliterate him on contact.

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
Toadster wrote:I think Vegeta's Galick Gun weakened the blast some.
Then how was Gohan able to obliterate Cell? Shouldn't Cell's Kamehameha have softened the blast?
Gohan kept firing energy into the Kamehameha whilst Goku only let out a strong burst then stopped.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:26 am

Goku did say to Yajirobi afterwards that Vegeta will recover from the Kaio-Ken x4 Kamehame-Ha! I'd say Goku held back some of the power in the Kaio-Ken x4 Kamehame-Ha! to just enough to push back the Gyallic-Ho and preventing Vegeta from being destroyed from it.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 pm

SSJ4_Zankuto wrote:Goku did say to Yajirobi afterwards that Vegeta will recover from the Kaio-Ken x4 Kamehame-Ha! I'd say Goku held back some of the power in the Kaio-Ken x4 Kamehame-Ha! to just enough to push back the Gyallic-Ho and preventing Vegeta from being destroyed from it.
I don't know where you got that implication from. All he said was, "If he was killed that easy, then I wouldn't have had so much trouble." I don't think Gokuu intentionally held back using what was such a dangerous technique for himself anyway, because it was a matter of life-and-death.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.