Most Useless Character

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Most Useless Character

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah that was a joke...
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Yeah that was a joke...
Sorry could't tell. Either cause it's the internet so I can't sense sarcasm or it wasn't very :lol:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:52 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:it still amuses me to think that the legendary Super Saiyan is weaker than Freeza's second form.
We have no idea how strong Bardock was during EoB, since he most likely got a near-death power-up. He should be at least at 90.000 (since it's the minimum number we know that is beyond the Saiyan limits), so in his Super Saiyan form, he should be at least 4.500.000, well above Freeza's 3rd Form, and his initial Final Form power.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:08 pm

It's unfair to count Bra in a manga sense since she was introduced in the last chapter(s).

I mean, are we talking story wise or their actions?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 am

None of the characters are useless. Everyone comes and serves their purpose and sticks around to remind you that this is an evolving, progressive story.

Honestly, this fandom's obsession with "use" is baffling to me. Toriyama made this rich, fun story full of a huge ensemble cast of lovable characters, and so many people just want to shit on it.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 am

djkalteraphine wrote:None of the characters are useless. Everyone comes and serves their purpose and sticks around to remind you that this is an evolving, progressive story.

Honestly, this fandom's obsession with "use" is baffling to me. Toriyama made this rich, fun story full of a huge ensemble cast of lovable characters, and so many people just want to shit on it.
Bardock is useless

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am

djkalteraphine wrote:None of the characters are useless. Everyone comes and serves their purpose and sticks around to remind you that this is an evolving, progressive story.

Interesting paragraph however this is a plot-driven story (the manga, at least) we're talking about so if you don't contribute you're not worth shit. Besides, this folly hasn't bothered you in the past so why start now?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Interesting paragraph however this is a plot-driven story (the manga, at least) we're talking about so if you don't contribute you're not worth shit. Besides, this folly hasn't bothered you in the past so why start now?
You and I are watching a different show, clearly.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Bardock is useless
He is the legendary Super Saiyan who started the Super Saiyan legend, and defeated the space-pirate Chilled, who's also Freeza's ancestor.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:You and I are watching a different show, clearly.
Please don't respond to people this way.

Everyone, if you're not willing to express your ideas completely and with a polite tone -- even in the face of opposing viewpoints -- this is not the community you should be participating in.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:06 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:

Bardock is useless
He created Son Goku, that's pretty ground-breaking to the story.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

Bardock is useless
He created Son Goku, that's pretty ground-breaking to the story.
I'm sorry if this sounds rude but I just hate when people say that. "No he banged *Insert female* to give birth to *Insert important Character*. That's just an excuse reason. Clearly he help give birth to Goku but what did he do with the MAIN plot. Had he not "Fight" Freeza Planet Vegeta would still be destroyed and he would die anyways.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:38 pm

I guess Lunch is useless as she is a one note gag whose purpose in the story wears out almost immediately.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Bardock is useless
He is the legendary Super Saiyan who started the Super Saiyan legend, and defeated the space-pirate Chilled, who's also Freeza's ancestor.
Not that i have something against Bardock, but wasn't that only "his dimension", because of the fortune-telling powers he had? How would it make sense and add to the timeline otherwise?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:23 am

TheGmGoken wrote: I'm sorry if this sounds rude but I just hate when people say that. "No he banged *Insert female* to give birth to *Insert important Character*. That's just an excuse reason. Clearly he help give birth to Goku but what did he do with the MAIN plot. Had he not "Fight" Freeza Planet Vegeta would still be destroyed and he would die anyways.
But you have to agree that it was pretty cool seeing Freeza having a flashback of Bardock when he was fighting Goku.
In my honest and all-truthfully expressed opinion, that was pretty rad and gave me goosebumps.
Useless or not, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 am

Puar, Oolong, Yamcha, Chiaotzu and Hercule all spring to mind.

Puar doesn't really do much apart for what was mentioned in the previous posts, so I won't repeat what was already said.

Oolong didn't do much either, just stopped Pilaf's wish, but anyone could of done that I guess.

Yamcha has some small feats, but in general he isn't very helpful and gets destroyed in most battles.

Chiaotzu wasn't of great help, I mainly remember his failed explosion on Nappa's back and then some training with Tien in the mountains but mostly he does nothing and cooks.

Hercule I feel is only there for comical purposes, someone to laugh at, at the way he talks and acts around his fans and his severe denial of the Z Fighters powers, although he did save the world though twice in my opinion by slightly calming Buu and befriending him and then later when he asks the world to put their hands up because everyone would recognize his voice where as they wouldn't listen to Goku or Vegeta.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:13 am

Absolute most useless would have to be Piano, I think. Wait, did he even die?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 am

Saiga wrote:Absolute most useless would have to be Piano, I think. Wait, did he even die?
Yeah, I think Goku hit Daimao through a wall and he crushed Piano, or something like that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:04 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Saiga wrote:Absolute most useless would have to be Piano, I think. Wait, did he even die?
Yeah, I think Goku hit Daimao through a wall and he crushed Piano, or something like that.
Oh, I see. Thanks. I might double check that later, but... it's only Piano.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 am

Saiga wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Oh, I see. Thanks. I might double check that later, but... it's only Piano.
Haha, yeah.
Just checked. It's a few pages into the Goku/Daimao fight. Goku knocks Piccolo into Piano, and Piano never gets up again.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"