Should Beerus replace Vegeta as Goku's rival?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Should Beerus replace Vegeta as Goku's rival?

Post by Bullza » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Over the top reaction much :lol:

Last I checked the guy said "If we" and me being part of that "we" didn't wish to take that into account because it's filler so irrelevant to the true story and he hardly if at all counts as Goku's rival.

So calm down yeah?

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 am

Vegeta never got any breaks.

He should always be Goku's rival.

I'd have liked to see him turn SSJ3 before his fight with Kid Buu just to be a little more even with Goku.

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Isn't this kind of moot since DBO history explains Vegeta and Goku going into space and killing each other?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 am

Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:Isn't this kind of moot since DBO history explains Vegeta and Goku going into space and killing each other?
I'm pretty sure the DBO timeline and BoG contradict each other...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:27 am

What makes you think that? I'm under the impression DBO is virtually canon to the series.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:57 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:Isn't this kind of moot since DBO history explains Vegeta and Goku going into space and killing each other?
I'm pretty sure the DBO timeline and BoG contradict each other...
Er, what?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'm pretty sure the DBO timeline and BoG contradict each other...
Er, what?
Dragon Ball Online and Battle of Gods don't contradict each other, but Battle of Gods is supposed to be a part of the new Toriyama continuity that has been established with the manga and at least the JSAT, BoG and Jaco. Unfortunately for those of us who like to have defined, expanded continuities, Jaco contradicts DBO, so...yeah.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am

How? is it because of Bardock or something?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:49 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:How? is it because of Bardock or something?
Well, despite being based off the manga, Dragon Ball Online works off the anime timeline. So both Bardock being saved from Freeza and baby Goku arriving on Earth are in AGE 737, whereas those events now happen in AGE 739 for the manga and Goku is a toddler.

Depending on what else is included in the Toriyama continuity, as I don't think it's ever mentioned if Episode of Bardock is actually apart of it or not in the Super Kanzenban interview, then there could be a contradiction with Bardock not being a Super Saiyan in DBO. Obviously he couldn't have used the form he gained in EoB from an out of universe perspective, because the special wasn't out then. But in-universe, since that's the subforum we're in, I'd think that if he were one, he'd have used it for more power against Miira when he tried to kill him via self-destruction...or maybe he was and the game got canceled "before the reveal"? We'll never know now. :P

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Dates aren't too important IMO. They can easily be adjusted just like they did with Pan and Bra's birthdays. As long as events don't directly contradict one another, it's fine.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Dates aren't too important IMO. They can easily be adjusted just like they did with Pan and Bra's birthdays. As long as events don't directly contradict one another, it's fine.
Pan and Bra's birthdays were never adjusted. They only instance of inconsistency with them is that Bra occasionally has typo in her information that places her as older than Pan. The very same book where that typo originated though also has the correct birth year in it as well.

In this case though, it's not just a date. It's events. In the anime and Dragon Ball Online, Goku is just a baby when he arrives. In DBO, Gohan asks the player to go investigate the nearby crash and you have to bring the helpless Goku back to him (implying that in a timeline without Time Patrol intervention, Gohan would have gone and brought Goku back to his house himself after investigating). For Jaco, Goku is two years older when he arrives. He's had a life on planet Vegeta and he apparently exits his ship and attacks Gohan while decked out in a battle jacket.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 pm

DBO contradicts Jaco & BoG because of out of universe reasons, and since the contradictions aren't important plot points, I'll just say that Jaco & BoG retconned DBO.

As for EoB & DBO contradicting each other because of SS Bardock, I don't see it. Bardock wasn't a Super Saiyan when Freeza blew up Planet Vegeta, and when Miira saved Bardock, he had him in mind-control after that. So, he just wasn't in a dangerous situation & didn't get angry at any point to awaken the form.

As for EoB being in the manga continuity, Chozenshuu #1 covered it, so I consider it part of the manga continuity.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm

I never questioned whether Episode of Bardock is in continuity with the manga. I question whether it fits into Toriyama's own perception of the manga continuity and not whoever compiled the Chozenshu information. Same with DBO. The game's known information technically contradicts EoB for out of universe reasons, but if Toriyama wanted to fit DBO into his continuity, there was nothing stopping him from doing so. He seems to have intentionally changed the date of planet Vegeta's destruction, contradicting many things in the franchise, and specific to DBO, an actual plot based mission within the game. Having an old man go and save a helpless space baby from wildlife after a crash in the nearby mountains doesn't really work with a toddler seeking out and trying to beat up the first thing he encounters when he leave his pod.

As for Bardock's Super Saiyan staus. That's just it. If you want to have the manga, EoB and DBO in the same continuity, then Bardock has to of traveled to the past and unlocked it while fighting Chilled. In DBO though, Bardock thanks Miira for saving him from Freeza's blast, not for coming into the past after Freeza's attack already sent him there and saving him from having to hang out with a bunch of goddie-goodie bug-eyed purple aliens after becoming a Super Saiyan. Even ignoring that line, Bardock should have the transformation by the time Miira rescues and enslaves him. The mind control device may very well restrict him from using the transformation, I have no problem with that. But after the player breaks that device and releases him, Bardock is sent into a rage. While thankful for being saved from Freeza, he's furious at Miira and descides to sacrifice himself to take the bastard down. If Bardock, a true warrior at heart, ever had a reason to transform into a Super Saiyan in DBO, it was when he was trying to kill Miira. To make sure he got the job done...but he didn't, on either account.

I think I'm done with this little tangent though. We're slipping off the intended topic and if it goes on much longer, we'll probably be asked to get back on track (and I have nothing to say about the original topic). So, you can work it out however you want to fit your personal canon. I do the same, which is why I have my own personal rewrite project. But for a factual discussion, DBO no longer fits in with the continuity Toriyama has established for the DB works he was (heavily) involved in.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:As for Bardock's Super Saiyan staus. That's just it. If you want to have the manga, EoB and DBO in the same continuity, then Bardock has to of traveled to the past and unlocked it while fighting Chilled. In DBO though, Bardock thanks Miira for saving him from Freeza's blast, not for coming into the past after Freeza's attack already sent him there and saving him from having to hang out with a bunch of goddie-goodie bug-eyed purple aliens after becoming a Super Saiyan. Even ignoring that line, Bardock should have the transformation by the time Miira rescues and enslaves him. The mind control device may very well restrict him from using the transformation, I have no problem with that. But after the player breaks that device and releases him, Bardock is sent into a rage. While thankful for being saved from Freeza, he's furious at Miira and descides to sacrifice himself to take the bastard down. If Bardock, a true warrior at heart, ever had a reason to transform into a Super Saiyan in DBO, it was when he was trying to kill Miira. To make sure he got the job done...but he didn't, on either account.
I don't get your problem, Bardock has to get through a similar situation with Chilled in order to become a Super Saiyan. The conditions to become a Super Saiyan are "high battle power", "tranquil heart", "a dangerous situation", and "intense anger". Bardock seems to possess "high battle power" & "tranquil heart", but he never went through "a dangerous situation" & "intense anger". It's like saying that in a what-if that Goku killed Freeza with the Genki Dama, Goku would be a Super Saiyan after their fight.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:08 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't get your problem, Bardock has to get through a similar situation with Chilled in order to become a Super Saiyan. The conditions to become a Super Saiyan are "high battle power", "tranquil heart", "a dangerous situation", and "intense anger". Bardock seems to possess "high battle power" & "tranquil heart", but he never went through "a dangerous situation" & "intense anger". It's like saying that in a what-if that Goku killed Freeza with the Genki Dama, Goku would be a Super Saiyan after their fight.
(Still too far off topic. After this response, I'm done. Not even coming back into the thread.)

I know what the conditions are for the transformation, and they aren't relevant to the discussion. I think you're confused on what I was talking about, because nothing I've said was ever about Bardock becoming a Super Saiyan for the first time in Dragon Ball Online. It's all based around the idea of the potential inconsistencies of including both EoB and DBO in Toriyama's new continuity: Jaco, Manga, JSAT, BOG.

Episode of Bardock can fit within that continuity just fine by itself. So if Toriyama considers EoB part of his new author's continuity, then trying to squeeze DBO in as well creates even more problems than just trying to include it alongside Jaco's new information. Even ignoring the contradictory dates and events from Jaco for the sake of this specific discussion point, it's obvious the events from EoB would have to be applied to Dragon Ball Online if they were in the same continuity. Since Bardock can't get sent to the past and transform while fighting Chilled after already being saved and enslaved by Miira, Bardock would have to fall under Miira's control after he already became a Super Saiyan. This is what causes the problem, because Bardock already has the form unlocked, but even after he is released from Miira's mind control device, he never uses it in the game (for obvious out of universe reasons).

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Wasn't this supposed to be the whole point of Uub?
Uub is Goku's student, not rival. Goku was never Kame-sennin's rival, right?
Yeah, I think the whole point of Oob is that Goku was more excited at the thought of training him and intended him to be the next savior of Earth when Goku is gone. You know? Since Goku loves fighting so much, then what better way than to train and spar with a student. Something he hasn't really done before.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This is what causes the problem, because Bardock already has the form unlocked, but even after he is released from Miira's mind control device, he never uses it in the game (for obvious out of universe reasons).
I don't understand this. How does Bardock have the form unlocked? The Bardock from EoB is not the same with the Bardock in DBO.

EoB Bardock: Freeza blows up planet --> Bardock is caught in the explosion & gets to the past --> Bardock fights Chilled, transforms into a Super Saiyan
DBO Bardock: Freeza blows up planet --> Bardock is caught in the explosion & gets to the past Miira saves him & places him under mind-control --> Bardock's mask breaks --> etc.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm

I forgot I asked this. I still feel the same.

Vegeta just isn't the same anymore, he's soft and they've turned into a comic relief doofus who now dances and sings and looks under tables for voices. From how he used to be he's now a completely different inferior character.

They ruined Piccolo in the same way beforehand.

Not to mention that there is no rivalry anymore and Vegeta isn't even in the same league as Goku. He's basically what Piccolo was to Goku by Cell Games saga.

Beerus would make a good rival.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:59 pm

There's nothing to Beers to suggest he is anything more than a mentor figure. Beers doesn't actively train to become better, Vegeta does. Beers is good for a laugh or exposition and he is the current wall for Gokuu and Vegeta to overcome, but as his character stands he is not a 'rival'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Bullza wrote:I forgot I asked this. I still feel the same.

Vegeta just isn't the same anymore, he's soft and they've turned into a comic relief doofus who now dances and sings and looks under tables for voices. From how he used to be he's now a completely different inferior character.

They ruined Piccolo in the same way beforehand.

Not to mention that there is no rivalry anymore and Vegeta isn't even in the same league as Goku. He's basically what Piccolo was to Goku by Cell Games saga.

Beerus would make a good rival.
Vegeta flat out admitted to himself that Goku will always be the best. Vegeta is always going to strive to better himself and possibly one day surpass Goku, he's just no longer a ass about it or obsessed over it. Plus, we have been over his Bingo scene many times already. He did it to keep his family safe. He knows he's got no chance in hell in defeating Beerus so if Beerus got pissed, earth and everyone on it is screwed. So, he does a song and dance number to keep the cat happy and possibly save everyone.

Thats not being a doofus, thats being smart.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]