Why didn't Dr. Gero give Cell the ability to locate 17 & 18

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Why didn't Dr. Gero give Cell the ability to locate 17 & 18

Post by AvatarReiko » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 am

As we know, Cell's objective from birth was to consume android 17 and 18 so that he could achieve perfection and become complete. Both 17 and 18 do not have PLs as they are androids, which means Cell would have difficulty tracking them down, since he would not be able to sense their ki. Dr. Gero, the genius scientist that he was must have thought of this problem. Why diid he not give Cell the capability to tack the androids down. Think about it. If the androids purposely tried to hind from cell, it would be Impossible for him to find them since he cannot sense them.
Wh

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why didn't Dr. Gero give Cell the ability to locate 17 &

Post by flashback0180 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 am

Think of it this way, Dr.Gero wanted to be the "puppet master" and his creations were just his "puppets" .(I know it sounds lame)

To him the androids were just tools to further his goal , He created the androids thinking they will obey his commands , But he was very cautious about everything and would have planed to prevent incase all of them turn against him.

Just like 17 and 18( hence created the deactivation remote) . The chances are if Cell had acted like 17 he needed some back up plan .

Thats just my theory,Who knows what Toriyama was thinking .

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 am

I'm pretty sure Gero didn't intend for 17 and 18 to ditch him and run wild. So Cell shouldn't have needed the ability to track them, Gero expected that they'd be loyally obeying him.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 am

Saiga wrote:I'm pretty sure Gero didn't intend for 17 and 18 to ditch him and run wild. So Cell shouldn't have needed the ability to track them, Gero expected that they'd be loyally obeying him.
Perhaps but Gero was prepared for the event that 17 and 18 killing hime hence the remote. He also said that said would not be completed in his lifetime.Also, the way he spoke of Cell implied that he cared for cell. He was his ultimate achievement.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 am

He had the remote to AVOID them killing him. He did have precautions in place in case they weren't loyal, but never thought it'd be that bad, and he also thought he could remove such problems by reprogramming them.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

khalildh
Beyond Newbie

Post by khalildh » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am

Are you guys forgetting that the Super Computer was the thing that actually finished creating Cell and not Dr. Gero. To answer the question though, maybe he couldn't? The androids from Cell's timeline are likely to have been different than the timeline he goes to. So even if he could have theoretically built something to find the androids it might not have worked once he time traveled. It does kind of raise the question of "In Cell's original timeline how did he know that the androids had been destroyed?".

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 am

Real answer: Toriyama made that story arc up as he went.

Attempt at an In-Universe answer: Dr. Gero was ridiculously arrogant, to the point of idiocy. He continues using the same lab he always had, even though the one thing that could have sunk his plan early on was someone finding his lab and destroying everything (like Bulma suggested). Putting in some sort of tracking device on his creations shouldn't have been difficult, but he didn't think he'd need it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:58 pm

He probably figured he could just use the controller on them and then let Cell absorb them.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:He probably figured he could just use the controller on them and then let Cell absorb them.
The controller would have blown them up. Cell never would have attained perfection if Kuririn would have used the controller (Bulma made, but based on Gero designs) to get rid of 18.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Eddie wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:He probably figured he could just use the controller on them and then let Cell absorb them.
The controller would have blown them up. Cell never would have attained perfection if Kuririn would have used the controller (Bulma made, but based on Gero designs) to get rid of 18.
I'm pretty sure the controller just shut them down. Isn't that how Gero was saying he got them under control the first time he woke them up.

I wouldn't doubt that it had a "blow up" button though.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Eddie wrote:
I'm pretty sure it would only have stopped them/paralyzed them. I recall Krillin saying he would need to stop them with the remote and then destroy them.
Besides if it would have blown them up, how would Dr. Gero expect to be able to adjust their powers and such, if they rioted and his only Means of stopping them also results in their deaths?

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah, I spaced out on that one. Gero's could also make them sleep. He could blow them up, though. That was the whole purpose of the bombs that Shenlong removed. Kuririn was supposed to blow 18 up.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Krillin was going to shut her down with the remote. Bulma says the remote would completely stop the Androids.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

freezamite
Banned

Post by freezamite » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:As we know, Cell's objective from birth was to consume android 17 and 18 so that he could achieve perfection and become complete. Both 17 and 18 do not have PLs as they are androids, which means Cell would have difficulty tracking them down, since he would not be able to sense their ki. Dr. Gero, the genius scientist that he was must have thought of this problem. Why diid he not give Cell the capability to tack the androids down. Think about it. If the androids purposely tried to hind from cell, it would be Impossible for him to find them since he cannot sense them.
Wh
Because Cell is not a robot. It's a life being that used something that was found on the android's corpses to fully develop, but he wasn't an android like #16 that could have a specific chip on his head to localize the androids (which were partially machines, and they surely could've had some kind of localizer implanted on them).

Of course Toriyama could've invented a "special cell" to localize the androids, but in that case it's fully understandable that Cell couldn't locate them. All in all, Cell was just a compilation of the best of the best of every fighter he was made of, and none of them had the ability to localize the androids or track them.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Because the Cell saga doesn't know what common sense is.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I actually think that Cell's inability to find the other robits, like everyone else trying to sense them, was one of the better plot points of the arc. It hearkened back to the cat and mouse games on Namek and was infinitely better than the arc would have been if Cell was like a NPC boss with haxed AI that could always track you down regardless of what you did.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm

How would he do it? When Dr. Gero left Cell, he wasn't in a state to enhance him with technology necessary to track them down, and neither could the computer modify hims, since he had to live into the ground for 3 years to develop his true form. And like others said, the Artificial Humans he created weren't supposed to betray him.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Eddie wrote:Yeah, I spaced out on that one. Gero's could also make them sleep. He could blow them up, though. That was the whole purpose of the bombs that Shenlong removed. Kuririn was supposed to blow 18 up.
Kuririn was meant to shut her down as well, and he even thinks to himself that he'll have to destroy the body himself so Cell doesn't absorb her while she's shut down. I guess you could take that to mean he'd destroy her with his own ability or with the remote, but there's only one button on the remote.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:22 am

Saiga wrote:
Eddie wrote:Yeah, I spaced out on that one. Gero's could also make them sleep. He could blow them up, though. That was the whole purpose of the bombs that Shenlong removed. Kuririn was supposed to blow 18 up.
Kuririn was meant to shut her down as well, and he even thinks to himself that he'll have to destroy the body himself so Cell doesn't absorb her while she's shut down. I guess you could take that to mean he'd destroy her with his own ability or with the remote, but there's only one button on the remote.
Press once for shutdown, double-click for self-destruct?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Besides didn't the scouter only have one button too?
Didn't seem to stop Vegeta from setting an alarm clock amongst other Things.