When was Gohan a SS2 in Boo arc (again)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: When was Gohan a SS2 in Boo arc (again)

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:03 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Wasn't Goku vs Majin Vegeta done along side Gohan and Dabura (meeting around Boo's egg). Seems odd why lightning couldn't be added for Gohan while it is for the SSJ2 fight.
People claim it was to show that Gohan was weaker or rusty so his ki wasn't sparking. Don't see how rage or power have to do with sparks but ok. People also claimed it was to show Gohan being weaker than Goku and Vegeta.
I guess?...I'd think the statements would be enough..but maybe not
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Man this has been a bitch to figure out hasn't it? We got evidence supporting both claims.

Screw it, if the manga had sparks then I'm on the side that says he was SSJ2.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Reading Rainbow

Post by Reading Rainbow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:07 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Reading Rainbow wrote:
Gogeta8001 wrote:Their was a thread like this on DBZF not too long ago.

It's pretty clear that Gohan was only an SSJ2 at the Budokai (M10 as well if you include non-canon material). Ths is clearly shown because Gohan only had the sparks at the Budokai and not anywhere else in the Saga. Toriyama wouldn't point blank forget to put sparks on Gohan while he was fighting Dabura and Buu for no reason, he's a forgetful person but not to that degree lol.
Have you seen Gohan as an SSJ 1 before the 25th World Martial Arts tournament? I have, and when comparing THAT to SSJ 2 you can see subtle differences. SSJ 2 is not always represented as having eletricity - not even in the anime.

Also you're speaking as if you know Toriyama personally.
Only anime barely had sparks. Manga always had sparks. Gogeta8001 isn't speaking as if he know Toriyama. He speaking with logic. Any other time a ssj2 is there. SPARKS. This fight has no sparks the entire time. Yet people debate this.
Once again my first question: Have you seen Gohan as an SSJ 1 before the 25th World Martial Arts tournament? I'm referring to the manga here.

Gogeta8001 wrote:That's why you shouldn't take the Anime at face value. Gohan was an SSJ2 in M10 and he had no sparks. Goku and Vegeta were SSJ2's in M12 & M13 yet they still have no sparks.

No, I don't know Toriyama personally (wish I did though lol). What I do know is that based off the Manga, we can clearly see when SSJ2 is used or not regardless of the hairstyle. Every SSJ2 shown in the Manga is shown with Sparks and Gohan only had it during the Budokai. I don't think Toriyama would forget to put the sparks on Gohan during the Dabura and Buu fight if he intended for him to be SSJ2. And besides, Gohan already had the lead as an SSJ against Dabura since Goku states that Dabura is around the same level as Cell (this is debated a lot but it would make sense for Goku to be referring to the Supressed Cell that he actually got to fight VS the Cell he only saw and observed).

If you need any more proof on this, just look at the start of the Goku VS Majin Vegeta fight. Toriyama only draws Goku with sparks and not Vegeta being that he's the only SSJ2 and Vegeta hasn't transformed. Toriyama is very careful when differenting SSJ and SSJ2.
My first question: Have you seen Gohan as an SSJ 1 before the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament? I'm referring to the manga.
TheGmGoken wrote:
Reading Rainbow wrote:
Gogeta8001 wrote:Their was a thread like this on DBZF not too long ago.

It's pretty clear that Gohan was only an SSJ2 at the Budokai (M10 as well if you include non-canon material). Ths is clearly shown because Gohan only had the sparks at the Budokai and not anywhere else in the Saga. Toriyama wouldn't point blank forget to put sparks on Gohan while he was fighting Dabura and Buu for no reason, he's a forgetful person but not to that degree lol.
Have you seen Gohan as an SSJ 1 before the 25th World Martial Arts tournament? I have, and when comparing THAT to SSJ 2 you can see subtle differences. SSJ 2 is not always represented as having eletricity - not even in the anime.

Also you're speaking as if you know Toriyama personally.
Only anime barely had sparks. Manga always had sparks. Gogeta8001 isn't speaking as if he know Toriyama. He speaking with logic. Any other time a ssj2 is there. SPARKS. This fight has no sparks the entire time. Yet people debate this.
Anime and movies barely had sparks and in the manga there isn't ALWAYS sparks - always means in every panel there are sparks no matter what, this is not the case. Also once again referring to my initial question: Have you seen Gohan as an SSJ 1 before the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament? I'm referring to the manga.

I understand the sparks vs non-sparks debate, but everyone seems to omit the training Gohan does with Goten before the Tournament, he's looks different than he does in SSJ 2. I've already posted this on in my previous comment and it got marked as spoiler and was most likely over looked:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:23 pm

The thing is that between that training period and the next time we saw Gohan transform (to either SSJ1 or SSJ2), there was about a month of in-universe time and likely several times as much out-of-universe time, after which Gohan looks the same regardless of what form he's in. Evidently Gohan's hair simply grew out and changed in that time, or Toriyama decided to stop drawing that extra little bang while Gohan was transformed.

And when we've got one instance where Gohan was explicitly said to be a Super Saiyan 2 and showed specific traits (aura sparks) and a handful of other instances where he's NOT said to be at Super Saiyan 2 and does NOT show those traits, then...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:41 pm

The manga also gives SSJ2's a different aura than SSJ. SSJ2 Goku and Majin Vegeta have a different aura from Gohan. SSJ2 Gohan at the tournament had sparks and the same aura as SSJ2 Goku and Majin Vegeta. Against Dabura he didn't have those sparks or the same aura he had at the Tenkaichi Budokai. Maybe to make Gohan look weaker as an SSJ2, or maybe because he wasn't one.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:That wasn't the full ssj2.
Based on Vegeta’s comments and actions thereafter, it was. The title of the anime episode would even suggest it being the full power of his state.
It was a burst. Vegeta didn't know how strong Goku truly was till they start fighting later.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:59 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Son_Gohan wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:That wasn't the full ssj2.
Based on Vegeta’s comments and actions thereafter, it was. The title of the anime episode would even suggest it being the full power of his state.
It was a burst. Vegeta didn't know how strong Goku truly was till they start fighting later.
Actualy he did know how strong is Goku...

Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P10.3-4, P11.2-3
Context: after Goku and Vegeta fight for a while
Goku: “Un-unbelievable…I thought I trained considerably in the afterlife…But we’re completely even…You trained more than me…”
Vegeta: “…No, that’s not it…I think I did perform more special training than you, but you’re a greater genius than I am…No matter how much time passed, this gap wouldn’t change…I realized this, when you fought with that monster Babidi sent…It was a shock…That’s why I secretly resolved myself…[ ] At the tournament, the people who knew that pair who Babidi made into his underlings said that they had become far stronger than before…I remembered that, and I thought…That if I were taken over by him too, then the gap between you and me would vanish…And I was right…”

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Super Vegetto wrote: Actualy he did know how strong is Goku...

Goku: “Un-unbelievable…I thought I trained considerably in the afterlife…But we’re completely even…You trained more than me…”
Vegeta: “…No, that’s not it…I think I did perform more special training than you, but you’re a greater genius than I am…No matter how much time passed, this gap wouldn’t change…I realized this, when you fought with that monster Babidi sent…It was a shock…That’s why I secretly resolved myself…[ ] At the tournament, the people who knew that pair who Babidi made into his underlings said that they had become far stronger than before…I remembered that, and I thought…That if I were taken over by him too, then the gap between you and me would vanish…And I was right…”
Yeah, he knew so much, he even knew Goku had SSJ3.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Drayenko wrote:
Super Vegetto wrote: Actualy he did know how strong is Goku...

Yeah, he knew so much, he even knew Goku had SSJ3.
Vegeta could tell just by that fight that Goku is stronger than him.

What's with "he even knew Goku had SSJ3" ?

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm

You're saying he knew how strong Goku was, when in reality he was not even close.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 pm

He knew how strong Goku is or atlest assumed, which is the reason why he neaded boost in power.

SSJ3 didn't existed at that point, so yes he knew he could close the gap between them...

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The transformation lasted for a second at the point you mentioned. In every point where a Super Saiyan 2/3 was stated to be there, he had sparks all the time, except for a few panels (and except when SS3 Goku was gathering energy, which was obviously because he was gathering energy). Which means that the sparks constantly come & go away, like they do in the anime when they are there.
It happens to be the only point in the transformation that Vegetto is drawn with sparks. When Gohan was injured by Cell he lacked an aura and sparks for many consecutive pages.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 am

Vegeta says that at least your stronger than your son was when he fought Cell before they start fighting.

Vegeta's comment later is him talking about how Goku is always ahead of him. Vegeta knew from the burst that Goku was stronger than him but he didn't know how much till they start fighting.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:24 am

Son_Gohan wrote:It happens to be the only point in the transformation that Vegetto is drawn with sparks.
Vegetto was a Super Saiyan, not a Super Saiyan 2 or 3.
When Gohan was injured by Cell he lacked an aura and sparks for many consecutive pages.
Because he had given up. When Goku gave him confidence again, he powered-up, and the sparks were there.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:21 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:Vegeta says that at least your stronger than your son was when he fought Cell before they start fighting.

Vegeta's comment later is him talking about how Goku is always ahead of him. Vegeta knew from the burst that Goku was stronger than him but he didn't know how much till they start fighting.
Actualy he says that he expected Goku's power is above Gohan's back from Cell games. Yet, we could say that SSJ2 against Yakkon had same amount of power because Vegeta judged by that, which is the reason he let himself in spell and says that later during the fight.

The episode name is Goku’s Power Wide Open!! Blow Away Yakon...if that means anything...

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Vegetto was a Super Saiyan, not a Super Saiyan 2 or 3.

Because he had given up. When Goku gave him confidence again, he powered-up, and the sparks were there.
The manga depicts him as a Super Saiyan shown with sparks. Whatever conclusions you've drawn about sparks are merely your own, you have no way of knowing what Toriyama was thinking. If your rules for these forms are something purely subjective then no one is forced to follow them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am

Son_Gohan wrote:The manga depicts him as a Super Saiyan shown with sparks. Whatever conclusions you've drawn about sparks are merely your own, you have no way of knowing what Toriyama was thinking. If your rules for these forms are something purely subjective then no one is forced to follow them.
Not really, there is at least one guidebook stating that the sparks are a trait of SS2. If you want to disregard said guidebook for whatever reason, you are free to do so. However, you can't go around saying that there is no proof when there is proof, even if that proof can be ignored.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Not really, there is at least one guidebook stating that the sparks are a trait of SS2. If you want to disregard said guidebook for whatever reason, you are free to do so. However, you can't go around saying that there is no proof when there is proof, even if that proof can be ignored.
A guidebook could state that the flame-like aura is a trait of Super Saiyan. Does that mean all depictions of Super Saiyan in the manga must have one to be in the form?

No. You are the one held accountable for interpreting something as absolute if it's not something that was established on its own.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:A guidebook could state that the flame-like aura is a trait of Super Saiyan. Does that mean all depictions of Super Saiyan in the manga must have one to be in the form?
Every Super Saiyan must be able to display it, it evidently, it's not necessarily always there.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Kaboom wrote:The thing is that between that training period and the next time we saw Gohan transform (to either SSJ1 or SSJ2), there was about a month of in-universe time and likely several times as much out-of-universe time, after which Gohan looks the same regardless of what form he's in. Evidently Gohan's hair simply grew out and changed in that time, or Toriyama decided to stop drawing that extra little bang while Gohan was transformed.

And when we've got one instance where Gohan was explicitly said to be a Super Saiyan 2 and showed specific traits (aura sparks) and a handful of other instances where he's NOT said to be at Super Saiyan 2 and does NOT show those traits, then...
Wouldn't Gohan's hair growing out make the second bang during ssj even more prominent? It wouldn't make much sense for Gohan's hair becoming longer to be the reason for the disappearance of the 2nd bang when he's ssj1. And AT still drew SSJ1 Gohan with a 2nd bang in the tournament, so I don't think AT changed SSJ1 Gohan's hairstyle. Right panel, upper right corner: