Why is King Cold so huge?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hleV
Banned

Re: Why is King Cold so huge?

Post by hleV » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:24 am

some_weirdGuy wrote:While saying 'he is only second form but was still said to be just as strong as true form Freeza' does well to play up an otherwise underrated character[who I personally quite liked], I'm kinda leading more towards it not being the case.
Chapter: 330 (DBZ 136), P2.3-4
Gohan: “Ku-Kuririn-san, did you notice it!? F-Freeza and ano-another large ki that resembles Freeza…!!”
Kuririn: “Y-yeah…There’s no way I couldn’t notice…ki this huge and gaudy…”
Chapter: 330 (DBZ 136), P10.3
Yamcha: “Wh-what are you going to do when you get closer?...!! They’re un-unbelievable monsters, aren’t they? An…and there are two of them!! It…it’s hopeless, isn’t it...?!!”
Chapter: 330 (DBZ 136), P9.7
Yamcha: “So this guy called ‘Fr…Freeza’ has such terrible…ab…absurdly large ki…?”
Gohan: “This isn’t it…he gets much, much stronger…!”
Going by this, it's very easy to assume that 2nd form Cold is around suppressed Mecha Freeza. And suppressed Mecha Freeza could easily be at only 1% of his real power or so.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 pm

I doubt Freeza was only down to 1% of his power there (can he even do that in his true/4th form? even the 3,000,000ish level he would've started out at in after transforming for the last time would've been 2.5% of his maximum... I thought the whole point of his lower forms was to be able to suppress himself below minimum 4th-form power because he couldn't control his power well enough to go below that point in his true form and didn't want to be going around blowing stuff up due to being in the multi-millions constantly even when not fighting or anything.)

But yeah... considering that neither of the two powers matched up with what Gohan knew Freeza was capable of, he would've had to be suppressed to some extent at least, and Cold is only "almost as strong" as whatever suppressed level that was. Which, conveniently, leaves room for Cold to actually have further transformed states without pushing him past Freeza's level, at least if you assume he doesn't get stronger to the exact same degree that Freeza does (and why would he? these forms are not something that's an "always the same" form inherent to their species like Super Saiyan is, they're developed by each individual as a way to suppress their natural power further. No real reason for his 2nd form to be exactly the same percentage of his maximum as Freeza's was.)

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:33 am

hleV wrote:
some_weirdGuy wrote:While saying 'he is only second form but was still said to be just as strong as true form Freeza' does well to play up an otherwise underrated character[who I personally quite liked], I'm kinda leading more towards it not being the case.
Chapter: 330 (DBZ 136), P2.3-4
Gohan: “Ku-Kuririn-san, did you notice it!? F-Freeza and ano-another large ki that resembles Freeza…!!”
Kuririn: “Y-yeah…There’s no way I couldn’t notice…ki this huge and gaudy…”
Chapter: 330 (DBZ 136), P10.3
Yamcha: “Wh-what are you going to do when you get closer?...!! They’re un-unbelievable monsters, aren’t they? An…and there are two of them!! It…it’s hopeless, isn’t it...?!!”
Chapter: 330 (DBZ 136), P9.7
Yamcha: “So this guy called ‘Fr…Freeza’ has such terrible…ab…absurdly large ki…?”
Gohan: “This isn’t it…he gets much, much stronger…!”
Going by this, it's very easy to assume that 2nd form Cold is around suppressed Mecha Freeza. And suppressed Mecha Freeza could easily be at only 1% of his real power or so.
Not what I was arguing. Refer back to my post in context - it's the '2nd form' bit I said was probably not the case, given Cooler's design.
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

DieHard
Banned

Post by DieHard » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:12 am

Pantalones wrote:I doubt Freeza was only down to 1% of his power there (can he even do that in his true/4th form? even the 3,000,000ish level he would've started out at in after transforming for the last time would've been 2.5% of his maximum... I thought the whole point of his lower forms was to be able to suppress himself below minimum 4th-form power because he couldn't control his power well enough to go below that point in his true form and didn't want to be going around blowing stuff up due to being in the multi-millions constantly even when not fighting or anything.)
I think he just has more control over his first form than the others.For example in his 4th he might get angry and suddenly raise his power from 1% to 50% or something.