Does the anime really imply that Kid Buu is the strongest?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Does the anime really imply that Kid Buu is the strongest?

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:50 am

I've seen people say countless times over the years that unlike the manga, the anime makes Kid Buu out to be the strongest form of Buu. I have to disagree with this. Even in the anime Goku is clearly afraid to fight Super Buu unfused but jumps at the chance of fighting Kid Buu. He even says they shouldn't fuse to fight Kid Buu because he's no longer a fused being himself, which is pretty much outright stating that he's gotten weaker. Furthermore Vegeta puts up a much better fight against Kid Buu on his own than he did against Super Buu in the filler fight in Buu's head with Goku's help. He even does damage to Kid Buu in base form. Could someone tell me where the anime implies that Kid Buu is the strongest Buu?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Does the anime really imply that Kid Buu is the stronges

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:23 pm

There are two(?) extra lines added to the the Pure Buu episodes that directly state he is the strongest form of Buu in the anime. It's been so long since I've watched the show though that I don't remember exactly who says them, but they come from some combination of these three: the Narrator, Goku or Kibitoshin.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm 99.9% positive that the narrator is one of them.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Is it ever said in the manga that he's weaker ? Or is Goku fighting him without fusion what has some fans saying that.

And are we talikng about Super Buu as he is or with the fusions ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Yeah, Goku pretty much flat-out says that Pure Boo is the strongest of them all so far.
And the Dragon Books don't help either, more or less parroting what Goku said.
Like you've said, this is extremely contradictory to what's shown earlier in both the anime and the manga, where Goku declares himself firmly inferior to and doomed against other forms of Boo. Forms which, according to the anime, are supposedly weaker than Pure Boo, whom he has no qualms about fighting one-on-one and Vegeta likewise believes he can finish off, just like in the manga.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:01 pm

I don't get how Kid Buu would be stronger then Buuhan in the anime? If he was stronger then why did Goku choose not to fuse with Vegeta? Goku was shown to be too scared to fight Super Buu, but not Kid Buu? If Super Buu is weaker then why would Goku be scared to fight him? Goku is not that stupid, he would have fused into Vegito if Kid Buu was that strong. Goku didn't even bother fighting Buuhan as a SSj3. The whole Kid Buu being the strongest in the anime in my opinion is just a hyperbole.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:02 pm

sintzu wrote:Is it ever said in the manga that he's weaker ? Or is Goku fighting him without fusion what has some fans saying that.
It's not stated directly, but it is heavily implied. Goku believed that if he & Vegeta were to attack Evil Boo together, they would definitely die. But when he turned into Pure Boo, Goku was confident that the could kill him on his own, and he would have done so, if his living body hadn't limited his usage of SS3, or better, if he had gone all-out from the beginning. Plus, when Gohan Boo reverted to Evil Boo, Goku said "We're almost there!", implying that the plan was to remove everyone from inside Boo to weaken him, and when Evil Boo reverted to Pure Boo, Goku said "We did it!", implying that they managed to weaken him enough so that they can beat him on their own.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't get how Kid Buu would be stronger then Buuhan in the anime? If he was stronger then why did Goku choose not to fuse with Vegeta? Goku was shown to be too scared to fight Super Buu, but not Kid Buu? If Super Buu is weaker then why would Goku be scared to fight him? Goku is not that stupid, he would have fused into Vegito if Kid Buu was that strong. Goku didn't even bother fighting Buuhan as a SSj3. The whole Kid Buu being the strongest in the anime in my opinion is just a hyperbole.
Yeah, nobody's claiming it makes sense, but you know how Toei does things. Gotta make ~*~Goku~*~ look good, and all internal logic to the contrary is discarded. It's like they were getting in some practice for GT with the anime version of the Pure Boo fight.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

My friends used to argue about this all the time. They've only seen the Funimation dub, never really read the manga and swear on their lives Kid Buu is the strongest Buu. I used to think so too, but it doesn't make any sense. I've always thought Kid Buu and Gray Buu were on the same level, but neither is as strong as Super Buu.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if he is, since other characters become stronger in their lower forms than their past stronger forms.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:49 pm

So the anime contradicts itself again. Now that I think about it Goku made a similar contradicting statement against Cell in the anime, were Cell says he's surprised that Goku's putting up such a good fight and Goku responds "Me too" or something like that. I'm not sure if Goku meant that he's surprised he was able to stand up to Cell or surprised that Cell was able to stand up to him. Either way it doesn't make sense because Goku had already stated his inferiority before the tournament.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:48 pm

To me this is one of those situations, much like the "5 minutes" on Namek, where you just have to acknowledge it's an error and rely on common sense. It doesn't make sense for Kid Buu to be the strongest. He might be the most vicious and dangerous because he's unrestrained but I think realistically Gotenks SS3 and Gohan at that point would make short work of him (Actually Gotenks would probably fuck around first so forget that part).

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:12 pm

I can't speak to the narrator's quote or the Dragon Book entry, but Goku's quote mentioned above doesn't actually say stronger, it says different level. He might well have been talking about ferociousness or savagery or intensity without talking about strength. The earlier part of the quote says very strong and is not a comparison to any of the other Buus, either.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Goku specifically mentions Kid Boo's power, speed, and powers of recovery being on a different level in comparison to the previous Boo's. Pretty sure that means he's more powerful, faster, and has better regeneration than any other version of Majin Boo.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 pm

If Kid Buu was hiding his power wouldn't that be the reaosn to why Goku thought he could take him ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Goku specifically mentions Kid Boo's power, speed, and powers of recovery being on a different level in comparison to the previous Boo's. Pretty sure that means he's more powerful, faster, and has better regeneration than any other version of Majin Boo.
To me, he's saying Buu's speed and power are amazing (with no qualifiers about "in comparison to what") and the whole different level is the sum of those parts. Fat Buu was innocent and playful (if misguided on what "play" was), Super Buu was cocky and arrogant, clearly stronger but willing to toy with his opponents (not rushing Gotenks in the HTC on multiple occasions, as Buutenks, letting Goku try his hand against him), but Kid Buu was going to be a whole different level of lethal. Using abilities inferior to Super Buu but using all of them without pause or mercy.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:17 am

Tectorman wrote:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Goku specifically mentions Kid Boo's power, speed, and powers of recovery being on a different level in comparison to the previous Boo's. Pretty sure that means he's more powerful, faster, and has better regeneration than any other version of Majin Boo.
To me, he's saying Buu's speed and power are amazing (with no qualifiers about "in comparison to what") and the whole different level is the sum of those parts. Fat Buu was innocent and playful (if misguided on what "play" was), Super Buu was cocky and arrogant, clearly stronger but willing to toy with his opponents (not rushing Gotenks in the HTC on multiple occasions, as Buutenks, letting Goku try his hand against him), but Kid Buu was going to be a whole different level of lethal. Using abilities inferior to Super Buu but using all of them without pause or mercy.
When somebody says that they are on a whole different level, it means that they are stronger than before. They have said this on more than one occasion in the series. Don't see how it would be different here.
Kaioshin said that this Boo was more powerful as well after Goku and Vegeta crush the potara. The narrator says it, and also the Dragonbook says that Pure boo possesses the greatest of strength of the Boo`s.

Are we to say that none of these statements are in regards to being stronger too?
These were mere screw ups on TOEI`s behalf into thinking that Goku could go up against a Boo more powerful than Evil boo Gohan absorbed, let alone regular Evil boo.
And the worst part about it is that the episode title of when Goku defeats Boo once and for all is titled : Son Goku is the strongest afterall".

BejitaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BejitaSama » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 am

Like you've said, this is extremely contradictory to what's shown earlier in both the anime and the manga, where Goku declares himself firmly inferior to and doomed against other forms of Boo that. Forms which, according to the anime, are supposedly weaker than Pure Boo, whom he has no qualms about fighting one-on-one and Vegeta likewise believes he can finish off, just like in the manga.
Except if you take into account the speech of Goku in front of Kid Buu when he's saying he could have won against Fat Buu, which heavily implied that his first SSJ3 appareance was kind of suppressed. I mean, this line already contradicts what Goku said before (he couldn't beat Majin Buu because he was equal to Bejita, he couldn't beat Majin Buu even in SSJ3...), so why this couldn't also get rid off what Goku said in front of Super Buu ?

This is not so simple and logical. The Buu saga is awfully written, with a lot of contradictories, so tell that it's Toei that contradicts the manga, it's your point of view. To others opinions and to Toei, it's your theory that contradicts the manga.

Saitou Hajime
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saitou Hajime » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 am

BejitaSama wrote: Except if you take into account the speech of Goku in front of Kid Buu when he's saying he could have won against Fat Buu, which heavily implied that his first SSJ3 appareance was kind of suppressed. I mean, this line already contradicts what Goku said before (he couldn't beat Majin Buu because he was equal to Bejita,)

Because he was taking just his SSJ2 power into account and not even considering SSJ3.
(he couldn't beat Majin Buu even in SSJ3...),
Except when Piccolo prods him further, he clarifies that it wasn't his duty to defeat Buu and wanted to entrust it to the kids after seeing how strong they were, which backs up what he later says during the fight with Kid Buu.
sintzu wrote:If Kid Buu was hiding his power wouldn't that be the reaosn to why Goku thought he could take him ?
The very nature of Kid Buu sort of dissuades the notion that he'd be the type to play misdirect with his power. And even if that were the case, even when the duo admitted that they have underestimated Kid Buu's power, they still thought Goku's SSJ3 had what it took to kill him.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:23 am

sintzu wrote:If Kid Buu was hiding his power wouldn't that be the reaosn to why Goku thought he could take him ?
No, because Goku, after fighting Kid Buu, still thought he could kill him if he gathered power for a minute.