Gohan not Ultimate anymore in RoF?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saitou Hajime
Beyond Newbie

Gohan not Ultimate anymore in RoF?

Post by Saitou Hajime » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:22 am

The ability to turn SSJ notwithstanding, he doesn't even have the Ultimate eyes anymore in his normal state.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Re: Gohan not Ultimate anymore in RoF?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:50 am

Just take all this new era DB stuff with a grain of salt. DBZ ended back in 1996.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:DBZ ended back in 1996.
No it didn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:46 am

Toriyama basically made Goku and Vegeta Ultimate, except he calls it "absorbing Super Saiyan God's power" or something, because he forgot about the Ultimate form. I bet he had a huge grin when he came up with that, saying to himself "What a great I idea I just had, making Goku and Vegeta more powerful in their base form than in SSJ... this is totally original! I wonder why I didn't think of this during the manga".

However, Toei want to have at least one Super Saiyan in the movie for marketing reasons, so they made Gohan one because they can't do it with Goku and Vegeta and because Trunks and Goten are not in the movie.

RancorSnp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RancorSnp » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:18 am

I really do not think that making a confident look determines either he is Ultimate or not, personally I do not see any difference in his eyes, he just makes more serious face.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:56 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Just take all this new era DB stuff with a grain of salt. DBZ ended back in 1996.
Don't be so pessimistic.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:56 am

Marco Polo wrote:Toriyama basically made Goku and Vegeta Ultimate, except he calls it "absorbing Super Saiyan God's power" or something, because he forgot about the Ultimate form. I bet he had a huge grin when he came up with that, saying to himself "What a great I idea I just had, making Goku and Vegeta more powerful in their base form than in SSJ... this is totally original! I wonder why I didn't think of this during the manga".

However, Toei want to have at least one Super Saiyan in the movie for marketing reasons, so they made Gohan one because they can't do it with Goku and Vegeta and because Trunks and Goten are not in the movie.
You know what, even though that's a joke, I can honestly see Toriyama thinking that to himself while writing the new movie :P
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:08 am

He was Ssj in BOG' trailers yet in the movie he was Mystic so they might be doing the same thing here.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am

In BoG, Gohan could use both Super Saiyan & Ultimate. We know that he will turn into a Super Saiyan in FnF, but we don't know if he will use his Ultimate state, or if he will get the chance to use it. Maybe he will use Super Saiyan against Freeza's soldiers because there is no reason to use his full power on them, or maybe he will underestimate Freeza (because Freeza's past self was a weakling compared to him now) and hold back, only to get his ass kicked before getting the chance to show his full power (like with Gotenks in BoG), or maybe he will use both Super Saiyan & Ultimate.

As for his eyes in his base not being fully outlined, the fact that his eyes were fully outlined in the end of the manga means that this is a design error, but it doesn't mean that Gohan lost Ultimate. Toriyama made the same error in his drawings for BoG, meaning that he didn't notice that detail while re-reading the manga recently:
So, it seems that this time, unlike with BoG, his error in the character design was passed in the final final product.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:03 am

sintzu wrote:No it didn't.
ZazamPow wrote:Don't be so pessimistic.
Please contribute more than one-line zingers. If you have something worth saying, we'd love to hear it. If not, keep it to yourselves.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:03 am

sintzu wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:DBZ ended back in 1996.
No it didn't.
It technically did. The last chapters were out during the year leading up to 1996.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:22 am

The God ritual basically stole away Gohan's feature and handed it to Goku. Goku being part of the second ritual probably shared it with Vegeta. To this day Goku and Vegeta are trying to find a way to steal Boo's regeneration and magical powers next. They'd love to be able to be practically invincible, and have an ability that makes food. Boo will probably not be in the film, as he fears the two saiyans will try to steal his powers like they did Gohan.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:22 am

dbzfan7 wrote:The God ritual basically stole away Gohan's feature and handed it to Goku. Goku being part of the second ritual probably shared it with Vegeta. To this day Goku and Vegeta are trying to find a way to steal Boo's regeneration and magical powers next. They'd love to be able to be practically invincible, and have an ability that makes food. Boo will probably not be in the film, as he fears the two saiyans will try to steal his powers like they did Gohan.
I actually know that you are being sarcastic, but it's not a bad idea ad Gohan's Ultimate power was the cause that Goku was able absorb God power.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

gojirason

Post by gojirason » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:31 pm

The eye thing isn't actually anything new guys. The exact same thing happened in Movie 13.

Frankly I think pretty much 100% of the controversy surrounding Ultimate Gohan from as far back as Movie 13 and GT and the same "problems" happening now is because people refuse to accept that they don't understand how it actually works or won't drop their preconceived notions.

After literally 20 years of the exact same supposed issues over and over, it starts to look like it's less of an issue with the source material and more of an issue with the fans.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:27 pm

It's not that he lost Ultimate. It's just that his Ultimate power isn't enough.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:30 pm

gojirason wrote:The eye thing isn't actually anything new guys. The exact same thing happened in Movie 13.

Frankly I think pretty much 100% of the controversy surrounding Ultimate Gohan from as far back as Movie 13 and GT and the same "problems" happening now is because people refuse to accept that they don't understand how it actually works or won't drop their preconceived notions.

After literally 20 years of the exact same supposed issues over and over, it starts to look like it's less of an issue with the source material and more of an issue with the fans.
Movie 13, GT and bog/Freeza 5: The Freezening aren't the source material. They contradict the source material, but since they outnumber it, people like you think they're right.

gojirason

Post by gojirason » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Rocketman wrote:
gojirason wrote:The eye thing isn't actually anything new guys. The exact same thing happened in Movie 13.

Movie 13, GT and bog/Freeza 5: The Freezening aren't the source material. They contradict the source material, but since they outnumber it, people like you think they're right.
Says the obvious elitist. Yes, the source where the events and information is coming from is source material. If we're talking about RoF (cough, we are, cough), then RoF and BoG pretty obviously count as source material regardless of any personal canon interpretations, and possibly movie 13 too. Even then, regardless of direct association, if the same phenomena is observed in both Movie 13 and RoF, it's a little foolhardy to say outright that there's no association.

At this point and under these circumstances, you might as well be saying that chapter 410 is not the source material, chapter 35 is.

The issue here is you're making a claim that you can't possibly prove. But then you claim that the other thing is wrong despite any indication to the contrary (aka existing) when you haven't definitively proven your point to begin with. Because you can't—not without a direct explicit statement to the exact effect of what you're entertaining.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:45 am

I still feel Gohan uses SSJ to recoop lost power from lack of training. In other words, his SSJ is now on par with ultimate form.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:57 am

One thing I like to ask is...what do we gain from Gohan using SSJ over his Ultimate state? From a character, out of universe, and in this sub section battle wise, what do we really gain from this?

Is SSJ going to develop Gohan's character at all? Will the reason be he just lost touch with his inner self and has to use SSJ again? If that's the case then will Gohan react to this revelation, or just shrug it off and we get nothing from it. Will SSJ further his character like he stacked it on through secret training or something? Will this simply just be a punishment for not training as much? I don't know. I feel though this won't develop his character in anyway most likely.

Was it done so Gohan wouldn't be confused as hitting God status like Goku and Vegeta, I'd say probably. That's my theory. I feel this is a likely answer as we've had this happen before ala "Was he? Was he not SSJ2?" debates, so I think this is a possibility. I mean if some new person came and watched the film, they'd wonder why Gohan is like Goku and Vegeta, but so much weaker. Perhaps they could just learn he doesn't train and accept that, or maybe not.

Battle wise which is least important, does SSJ really add anything to his skills? Does this allow him to tap into his power better? Is this a punishment nerf? Is this so possibly it's more believable the army beats him up? If that last one is the case I'll be saddened.

Though really I wonder what exactly is the point of going this route. Even the simple answer of "Golden Super Saiyan cool" may be the reason.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:46 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Though really I wonder what exactly is the point of going this route.
It's not enough for Goku to win, everybody else has to lose.