So what exactly is this SSGSS?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: So what exactly is this SSGSS?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:14 am

That's the the films. In Super, Goku is apparently still able to sense Beerus and Whis just fine; he uses Shunkan-ido to teleport out to Whis on their planet in Episode 18 to avoid having the alarm bomb blow up in the Hakaishin's bedroom.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:56 am

At the end of episode Whis did say they had just reached the level to be able to sense the Ki of Gods. I'm not sure why the changed what was said in the film though.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:01 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:That's the the films. In Super, Goku is apparently still able to sense Beerus and Whis just fine; he uses Shunkan-ido to teleport out to Whis on their planet in Episode 18 to avoid having the alarm bomb blow up in the Hakaishin's bedroom.
To be fair, it was never said that Goku couldn't sense Beerus' & Whis' ki in FnF because they had godly ki. Goku said that he couldn't use Shunkan Ido to get there & had to rely on Whis because he couldn't sense their ki, but he didn't say why he couldn't sense their ki. Later, we see that Goku also can't go to Earth with Shunkan Ido because it's too far away and he can't sense anyone's ki, which is why everyone raised their ki as much as possible in order to send a signal to Goku. In Super, Goku has the same problem; he can't get to Beerus' planet with Shunkan Ido because it's too far away, so he can't sense Vegeta's ki, but we see that once he goes there he can sense Vegeta's ki just fine.

So even in the movie, it doesn't appear that Goku can't sense godly ki, Beerus' planet is just too far away.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 am

In the English dub Goku said "I can't sense your energy to find this place so we had to hitch a ride with him".

I'm not sure if he's saying he just can't sense his energy period or he couldn't for other reasons, like him being too far away.

Going by Super though it would seem that you are able to sense God Ki if one's power level is high enough. So perhaps Frieza could sense God Ki despite not being a God at all.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:02 am

Bullza wrote:In the English dub Goku said "I can't sense your energy to find this place so we had to hitch a ride with him".

I'm not sure if he's saying he just can't sense his energy period or he couldn't for other reasons, like him being too far away.
Why would a dub matter at all?
Going by Super though it would seem that you are able to sense God Ki if one's power level is high enough. So perhaps Freeza could sense God Ki despite not being a God at all.
Not necessarily. This could be a trait of the Saiyans only, since they can obtain the godly power of Super Saiyan God either by absorbing it through a fight, or by special training.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:12 am

Well what's the exact quote that was made in Japanese?

We don't know if Vegeta got Godly Ki through special training yet.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Bullza wrote:Well what's the exact quote that was made in Japanese?
"We got in touch with Whis and he brought us over. I can’t sense your guys’ ki, so there was no other way."
We don't know if Vegeta got Godly Ki through special training yet.
Well, Whis told him that Vegeta may be able to surpass Goku if he was to control his ki through special training, and after 6 months of training with Whis, he is now as strong, and perhaps stronger, than SbG Goku. He can also sense godly ki, which according to Whis, is because he has become so strong. And, he will soon be able to become a Super Saiyan Blue. So, everything points to that direction so far.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:45 pm

It could just be that Whis' unique training for 6 months boosted his normal Ki to new heights that surpasses Goku's (at least in base form) at which point his power is at a high enough level that they can sense the power of Gods.

Super Saiyan Blue might not even have anything at all to do with God Ki. It really could just be a form of Super Saiyan that any Saiyan could achieve with enough training and it just happens to have the power (as in level not type) of a SSJG.

We'll see soon enough but it might be much more simplified than we'd all figured it to be.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:52 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:To be fair, it was never said that Goku couldn't sense Beerus' & Whis' ki in FnF because they had godly ki. Goku said that he couldn't use Shunkan Ido to get there & had to rely on Whis because he couldn't sense their ki, but he didn't say why he couldn't sense their ki. Later, we see that Goku also can't go to Earth with Shunkan Ido because it's too far away and he can't sense anyone's ki, which is why everyone raised their ki as much as possible in order to send a signal to Goku. In Super, Goku has the same problem; he can't get to Beerus' planet with Shunkan Ido because it's too far away, so he can't sense Vegeta's ki, but we see that once he goes there he can sense Vegeta's ki just fine.

So even in the movie, it doesn't appear that Goku can't sense godly ki, Beerus' planet is just too far away.
We've had this discussion like a dozen times before, and my thoughts on the matter remain the same. Maybe it's different in the original Japanese and loses something upon translation, but the way the script translation is phrased by Herms and the way Simmons translated the line for Funi's subs on the film make it pretty clear that they just can't sense god ki.
  • "We got in touch with Whis and he brought us over. I can’t sense your guys’ ki, so there was no other way." --Herms/script

"We contacted Whis-san, and had him bring us over. We ain't able to sense your ki, so that's the only thing we could do." --Simmons/subs
Both translations mention it in the present tense, while standing right there next to both Beerus and Whis. It could have been different story if the line had some kind of qualifier of "because you're too far away from Earth" or whatever, but it doesn't. And since there have been other changes in Super so far as well, I'm not convinced that this just isn't one of them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:57 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:To be fair, it was never said that Goku couldn't sense Beerus' & Whis' ki in FnF because they had godly ki. Goku said that he couldn't use Shunkan Ido to get there & had to rely on Whis because he couldn't sense their ki, but he didn't say why he couldn't sense their ki. Later, we see that Goku also can't go to Earth with Shunkan Ido because it's too far away and he can't sense anyone's ki, which is why everyone raised their ki as much as possible in order to send a signal to Goku. In Super, Goku has the same problem; he can't get to Beerus' planet with Shunkan Ido because it's too far away, so he can't sense Vegeta's ki, but we see that once he goes there he can sense Vegeta's ki just fine.

We've had this discussion like a dozen times before, and my thoughts on the matter remain the same. Maybe it's different in the original Japanese and loses something upon translation, but the way the script translation is phrased by Herms and the way Simmons translated the line for Funi's subs on the film make it pretty clear that they just can't sense god ki.
  • "We got in touch with Whis and he brought us over. I can’t sense your guys’ ki, so there was no other way." --Herms/script

"We contacted Whis-san, and had him bring us over. We ain't able to sense your ki, so that's the only thing we could do." --Simmons/subs
Both translations mention it in the present tense, while standing right there next to both Beerus and Whis. It could have been different story if the line had some kind of qualifier of "because you're too far away from Earth" or whatever, but it doesn't. And since there have been other changes in Super so far as well, I'm not convinced that this just isn't one of them.
I guess I should take this to the translation thread.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:21 pm

And, we have an answer:
EmmaWinters wrote:The original line for anyone who wants it.
For what it's worth, I think you can stretch it to "we couldn't pick out your ki".

ビルス「そんなの見りゃ分かるよ どうやって来たんだってこと」
悟空 「ウイスさんにれんらくして 一緒に連れてきてもらったんだ
    あんたたちは気が どらえらんねぇから そうするしかねぇんだよ」
Apparently, the line can be interpreted as if Goku couldn't sense their ki because they were too far, like it is in Super.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:23 am

Looks like we'll have our answer in a week.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:36 am

I think I'll just wait to see how they handle the scene's dialogue in Super. It's interesting that the film's dialogue can apparently cover that interpretation, but if it has to be "stretched" to do so, then unlike Super thus far, I still don't feel like that's the intended meaning of the line. If this were a power debate and someone did the same thing to try and state a different interpretation, there'd be (at minimum) a rude 5 page fight with half a dozen people telling them they are wrong before a member of the moderation team was forced to step in. :lol:

I'm not going to do that. You can go with that interpretation if you like, it's apparently valid. I'm just not convinced yet. I rather see how Super approaches it, given what we know from prior scenes in this adaptation.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:05 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think I'll just wait to see how they handle the scene's dialogue in Super. It's interesting that the film's dialogue can apparently cover that interpretation, but if it has to be "stretched" to do so, then unlike Super thus far, I still don't feel like that's the intended meaning of the line. If this were a power debate and someone did the same thing to try and state a different interpretation, there'd be (at minimum) a rude 5 page fight with half a dozen people telling them they are wrong before a member of the moderation team was forced to step in. :lol:

I'm not going to do that. You can go with that interpretation if you like, it's apparently valid. I'm just not convinced yet. I rather see how Super approaches it, given what we know from prior scenes in this adaptation.
We don't have to keep debating about this, there nothing else to discuss. Your interpretation is valid as well, I just personally always felt that Goku meant that he couldn't sense them because they were too far away since he had the same problem with going to Earth in the movie, and it would also make sense for him to be able to sense the ki of the gods since he has absorbed the power of SSG, and can even transform into it on his own.

But yeah, Super may shed more light into it, so let's wait for that as well.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:28 am

Goku couldnt IT from earth to new namek cos it was to far awat.He had to go to king kai's planet and then was able to IT due to the distance being shorter.

So i think that its just to far away.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:03 am

buutenks wrote:Goku couldnt IT from earth to new namek cos it was to far awat.He had to go to king kai's planet and then was able to IT due to the distance being shorter.
That wasn't the problem. The problem was that Goku had no idea where New Namek was, so he had to go to Kaio first to help him find it.