Has it ever been explained why goku never

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Has it ever been explained why goku never

Post by shonenhikada » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Combined the Kai-o-ken technique with his now mastered Super Saiyan god form. Surely going 20x and so forth would help him in a fight.

Also has it ever been explained why goku has never used kai-o-ken with Super Saiyan at all ?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Has it ever been explained why goku never

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Because his body would most likely implode if he tried this. I mean, even having a deceased body, which much tougher than a mortal body, and he could only maintain the "Super Kaioken" form a few seconds before it disappeared. Goku tries the same trick again with his regular, mortal body and he implodes.

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:57 am

Other World Tournament is anime filler. The new movies are manga canon. Therefore we don't know if Goku can actually use the Kaioken while Super Saiyan (canonically.)

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Seeing as that the SSJ kaioken wasn't written by Toriyama to begin with, I feel as if Toriyama wants to have a maximum power-up of 1 at a time. So, anyone in a transformed state couldn't use a technique that makes them stronger (if anyone can name an instance that would contradict this hypothesis it would be much appreciated for you to mention it). And as such, we can only speculate as to what would happen if that were to happen. I personally think that their bodies just couldn't take it. I imagine it as two internal forces crashing into each other and causing a very bad reaction.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Fri May 01, 2015 12:18 am

Bacon Skittles wrote:Other World Tournament is anime filler. The new movies are manga canon. Therefore we don't know if Goku can actually use the Kaioken while Super Saiyan (canonically.)
The thing about it is. The super saiyan god form raised Goku's base power to a new level. So technically Goku is just really really REALLY STRONG IN BASE (6) NOW. So I'm just curious why he can't combine the technique of kai-o-ken to fight strong foes.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 am

Bacon Skittles wrote:Other World Tournament is anime filler. The new movies are manga canon. Therefore we don't know if Goku can actually use the Kaioken while Super Saiyan (canonically.)
Doesn't make sense for me.

Besides it is an in-universe topic. And Goku using Kaio-Ken has nothing to do with new movies.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat May 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:

Besides it is an in-universe topic. And Goku using Kaio-Ken has nothing to do with new movies.
Toriyama's essentially using the Jump Special, BoG and RoF as his means of continuing the manga. They're his stories, not so much TOEI's. The guy essentially retired as a mangaka at this point. Even when he does one-shots, most of the time he still teamed up with Katsura rather than draw it himself. The new movies are the same concept, except he lets TOEI animate them rather than get somebody to draw DB manga for him.

In other words, it's not just a matter of being paid to do design concepts for TOEI like in the old anime filler, so much as he's drafting the story and the designs.

As for the original question at hand, Kaioken, SSJ and SSJ God are all variants of the same thing with different strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, Goku has no reason to combine kaioken and SSJ God. To do so would still get him the exact same result as the combination of SSJ God and SSJ does, only it would work in very short bursts like Kaioken does. Very impractical.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Let's say he could use Kaioken while Super Saiyan God. Kaioken damages his body while using up his ki. Combine that with being Super Saiyan would only do further harm to Goku and drain his power even faster.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 am

If I recall, Goku has to do something with every muscle or cell in his body to do the Kaio-ken. Then it is extremely stressful on his body, hence touching him makes him yell in pain after Vegeta leaves Earth. On the other hand, becoming a Super Saiyan multiples his power exponentially (more than a 20x Kaio-ken does) and he doesn't have the bodily stress from it. That's what I recall reading on the DB Wiki.....

TL;DR Kaio-ken is too stressful. SSJ is more powerful and hardly requires any physical stress, so it's useless.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:

Toriyama's essentially using the Jump Special, BoG and RoF as his means of continuing the manga. They're his stories, not so much TOEI's. The guy essentially retired as a mangaka at this point. Even when he does one-shots, most of the time he still teamed up with Katsura rather than draw it himself. The new movies are the same concept, except he lets TOEI animate them rather than get somebody to draw DB manga for him.

In other words, it's not just a matter of being paid to do design concepts for TOEI like in the old anime filler, so much as he's drafting the story and the designs.

As for the original question at hand, Kaioken, SSJ and SSJ God are all variants of the same thing with different strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, Goku has no reason to combine kaioken and SSJ God. To do so would still get him the exact same result as the combination of SSJ God and SSJ does, only it would work in very short bursts like Kaioken does. Very impractical.
I may agree with BoG and RoF, while both of them don't actually continue the manga, but Toriyama doesn't use Jump Special, only the basic premise of a movie was written by Toriyama, but it was changed by both Naho Ooishi and Toei staff, and they are credited as creators of script, not Toriyama.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Naho's manga has nothing to do with Toei's staff. Toei works with the anime/animated version, author works with the manga.