Does Super override the new movies?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Does Super override the new movies?

Post by Bacon Skittles » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Bacon Skittles on Sun May 23, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does Super override the new movies?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:41 pm

We have limited information, but from what we know, Super will indeed override those movies.

Good riddance.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:55 pm

We'll know for sure over the coming weeks.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:04 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:We have limited information, but from what we know, Super will indeed override those movies.

Good riddance.
I concur! While I do like Battle of Gods, Revival of F…. Eeeeeh nah not so much.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Toriyama views the old DBZ movies in their own dimension. Could he view the same with BOG and ROF?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:24 pm

I don't think he did when he originally wrote them, but now that they're getting readapted? Seems likely.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:59 pm

In BoG they said it was the 7th universe. Here they mention meeting their neighbours in the 6th universe. So unless the main timeline actually took part in the 5th universe then it couldn't be another dimension.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Bullza wrote:In BoG they said it was the 7th universe. Here they mention meeting their neighbours in the 6th universe. So unless the main timeline actually took part in the 5th universe then it couldn't be another dimension.
It doesn't have to be that complex. Once Beerus arrives and explains the whole universe thing, the one that Goku and Co, stay in could ( and likely still is) be Universe 7. Champa and Lady Whis are probably from Universe 6.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Bullza wrote:In BoG they said it was the 7th universe. Here they mention meeting their neighbours in the 6th universe. So unless the main timeline actually took part in the 5th universe then it couldn't be another dimension.
It can, because "dimension" does not necessarily equal "universe" in the same concept as Beerus introduced. The RoSaT is a different dimension, so is Sugoroku Space. When the Nyoibo isn't connected to Kami's temple, it's in another dimension. The alternate timelines are labeled as dimensions, as are the realms like Makai.

Thus BOG can be in a different "dimension" like all the other films and just be slapped in an alternate timeline of Universe 7.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Taking two previously canon movies and then later lumping them in with the rest of the others....great.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Bullza wrote:Taking two previously canon movies and then later lumping them in with the rest of the others....great.
There's nothing wrong with previous DBZ movies such as Wrath Of The Dragon, Fusion Reborn, Cooler Revenge or The World Strongest. They are excellent Dragon Ball Z movies in their own regard and shouldn't be be treated like they are black sheeps of the franchise.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:30 pm

There were alright for what they were but they were mainly just standalone mini movies, the lenght of 2 episodes put together.

These new movies were supposed to be different. A continuation of the manga and a part of the official history of the series written by the main man himself and now they're being replaced after just coming out.

They did so well because they weren't supposed to be in the same group as the other movies and now they are going to be.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:45 pm

Bullza wrote:Taking two previously canon movies and then later lumping them in with the rest of the others....great.
good riddance. BoG and RoF are on par with bio broly.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:20 am

VintageSaiyan wrote:
Please explain how so.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:22 pm

VintageSaiyan wrote:
BoG is arguably one the best things to happen to the franchise and putting it on the level of Bio-Broly is laughtable.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
VintageSaiyan wrote:
BoG is arguably one the best things to happen to the franchise and putting it on the level of Bio-Broly is laughtable.
That's honestly pushing it. One of the best things when it comes to resurrecting the franchise? Absolutely! One of the best things in terms of quality? Completely debatable, and I actually liked BoG, was absolutely ecstatic when I finished watching it, but it has a few very noticeable problems I wish Super would change.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:11 pm

In BoG they said it was the 7th universe. Here they mention meeting their neighbours in the 6th universe. So unless the main timeline actually took part in the 5th universe then it couldn't be another dimension.
Uh, what? It's stated that "the main timeline" (and all the other timelines branching off, like Trunks' future and so on) are the 7th universe.

And it doesn't seem likely that the 12 universes are just your standard alternate universe sort of thing (like "Universe 12 is GT, Universe 11 is when these movies happen, Universe 3 is where everyone has a beard, etc." or something like that), they're more likely to be actually different universes in the same sense that Namek or Freeza Planet #79 are not just "an alternate version of Earth" but actual different planets.

The different timelines (Trunks' future, Cell's future, possible "Trunks deactivated #17/#18 with the controller then went back to his own time again" timeline that may have Movie 7 in it also) are just alternate branches of Universe 7, not their own actual universes. It would make much more sense if every other "branch-off from Universe 7 as we know it" thing, like the movies that can't possibly fit into the main timeline, are also like this, the only difference being that their branching off wasn't a side-effect of time travel... not randomly being part of Universe 5 or whatever.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:36 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:We have limited information, but from what we know, Super will indeed override those movies.

Good riddance.
My thoughts exactly.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:44 am

VintageSaiyan wrote:BoG and RoF are on par with bio broly.
You're not wrong there, they are all pretty great.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:19 am

Zephyr wrote:
VintageSaiyan wrote:BoG and RoF are on par with bio broly.
You're not wrong there, they are all pretty great.
Consider that Bio-Broly is the best and most fun Broly movie, I'm incline to agree. The new movies are fun, though I haven't seen much of RoF.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.