The DragonBall Sensation

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The DragonBall Sensation

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:34 pm

When has DragonBall really taken over your life when itcomes to you/your parents spending a whole bunch of money? For me, it was when GT started being released in America. I figured that since this was a "short" series and that I've never actually been a fan of DB or DBZ at the very beginning of their DVD/VHS releases that I could actually buy these eps while they were still "fresh." Eh, it made more sens way back then, when I was more fanboy than human. As a result, I have practically every GT DVD with the exception to the so called "Lost" eps (when the fanboy effect started wearing off).

Has something similar to this ever happened to you?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:45 pm

:lol: I remeber I made it my mission to get every episode of Dragonball - Dragonball GT on DVD. Iam close I only need "Ginyu - Double Crossed" and like 4 DVD's from "The Lost Episodes" of GT and whatever FUNimation didn't release yet (Vegeta Saga 2, DB Episodes 1 - 13 ect.)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:57 pm

For me, DB is intrinsically a part of my life. It was my love of DB and being a fan that lead me to meeting my fiance. Both of us will always love DB and have a special place for it in our hearts. We plan to raise our kids with it. So I guess you can count that as DB taking over one's life. :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote::lol: I remeber I made it my mission to get every episode of Dragonball - Dragonball GT on DVD. Iam close I only need "Ginyu - Double Crossed" and like 4 DVD's from "The Lost Episodes" of GT and whatever FUNimation didn't release yet (Vegeta Saga 2, DB Episodes 1 - 13 ect.)
Same with me. I only need DB 1-13 and movie 1 uncut (already have it edited), the remaining DBZ Ultimate Uncut releases, movies 2-7, and 10-13. I already have all three TV specials and all of GT. I try not to think about how much money I've spent on all of it.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:57 pm

I've had this experience with other anime but unfortunatly (as of yet) it hasn't happened with Dragonball/Z/GT. I think I have a total of 5 DVDs worth and one box set.
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:49 pm

The home video releases, deifnitely made it take over my life. I became obsessed with buying the dub at that time and it really allowed me to watch at my own pace and get into it. Because, before that we could only see DBZ once a week at early times. Having the freedom to watch at my own pace, really sucked me in. Granted I got sucked in even more with the DVD releases, but that is another story.
-Laserkid

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Upon reading a volume or two 16 months ago, I became hellbent on owning all the Viz Manga. By the time DBZ 21 came out, I had every released Volume, and at this point get every new volume the day it is released.

Other then that, I collect DVD's of StoryArc highlights whenever I get the inclination, but it isn't particularly important to me. Oh, but I do collect all the Movies.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:39 am

Dragonball has definitely taken a huge grip on my life. Probably more than anything else ever sadly enough. I mean, I watch it and think about it everyday in some form and I barely draw anything else. Needless to say a lot of money goes into it. Not mine though, I usually find ways to get DVDs as gifts from friends and parents and I even recieved the entire subtitled Buu saga for free from a disenchanted fan. At this point I own all 42 volumes of the manga which at about 6 bucks per volume amounts to around 250 bucks of spending, and some 300 bucks worth of DVDs. Overall not terrible but I definitely feel compelled to own the entire series with the exception of GT. I fear for the future when I actually get a job and have to struggle to keep above water because of frivolous DB spending. It's like drugs really.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:02 pm

Duo wrote:Upon reading a volume or two 16 months ago, I became hellbent on owning all the Viz Manga. By the time DBZ 21 came out, I had every released Volume, and at this point get every new volume the day it is released.

Other then that, I collect DVD's of StoryArc highlights whenever I get the inclination, but it isn't particularly important to me. Oh, but I do collect all the Movies.
Same here. Nowadays, I'm focused on getting all of the manga titles (yay, canon!) and some of the better (in my opinion) movies.

I also as you said "collect DVD's of StoryArc highlights" (of the ones I own are when Gohan goes Super Saiyan 2 for the first time, when Goku goes SS3 for the first time, Cell's death, and Buu's death). Of course, I have to buy those eps along with some not so good episodes because the DVDs aren't single episodes, but whatever :D .
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Who was that one guy with the huge DB-Z-GT collection?

Edit: Found him..
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=2001

:shock:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:32 am

That guy has 1:1 scale Dragonballs! Where was I when these were around?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:25 am

Kendamu wrote:That guy has 1:1 scale Dragonballs! Where was I when these were around?
Having a life maybe? The guy is a nutball anyway and speaks as if he's a god damn walking advertisement.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:30 am

True. I don't have much merch beyond the occsaional manga volume and some video games (and this old limited edition T-Shirt) but if I were to have one thing (seven things) DB related I'd get those... and continue to have a life.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:43 pm

I'm more of a backseat fan, I don't spend outrageous amounts on any fandom. XD

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:54 am

For the fun of this thread (which it is one of those good once and awhile conversations that do not come about too often) I shall reveal my horrible secret...

...Well, it isn't horrible, nor is it a secret. Anyway, between January and February of last year I decided to go on a buying spree and collect all of the available DragonBall dvds.
Before this event, I had only seen the first 13 episode of DragonBall when they aired on Cartoon Network, so I figured since it was demanded of me (the people in the chat can be quite persuasive) I would follow their word and do some shopping.

I've actually since thanked them for being so demanding of me. I think....

Not long after I picked up the Freeza arc dvds of Z. My collection is becoming rather fleshed out, but as of the moment I have no will or money to pursue it further. Though, sadly, when I do it will be put on hold for more important animation related purchases.

8)

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:33 pm

If Dragonball didn't exist, I'd have no reason to continue living!
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:41 pm

:P I'm a fanatic. I've watched Dragonball since 3rd Grade and that's when I plan to start my children on it. :lol:

That along with Evangelion... :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Raising my kids on DragonBall, I'm thinking of doing it not just for passing on a great and timeless story, but also as a way for them to practice reading when watching the Japanese version. IF I have kids. ... I mean I'm capable to, I just haven't found the one for me yet. Okay, getting off topic...

DragonBall will always be a part of my life and dear to me, I love its modern stories, timeless characters, and just every other nifty aspect about it. I love it, though of course with as confusing as the canon can be, I've made it a point to be someone who views things from his own point of view. What more can I say, hopefully my soul mate will like it, I don't wanna have to hide my countless DVDs and VHS's in a storage closet among other things. :P
14 years later

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:57 pm

I plan on getting the entire manga as its been coming out. I only have one more left to get--Volume 42 comes out in June--and then I'll have 'um all.

As for dvds, I only get it if there's an episode/s on it that I really liked.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Raising my kids on DragonBall, I'm thinking of doing it not just for passing on a great and timeless story, but also as a way for them to practice reading when watching the Japanese version.

What more can I say, hopefully my soul mate will like it, I don't wanna have to hide my countless DVDs and VHS's in a storage closet among other things. :P
Yeah, I think I actually learned to read quicker because of watching all of those subbed Dragonball eps :lol: .

And to the latter part of your post: Yeah, that would SUCK.

And to Castor Troy: Dude, whoever that person is, is hard core. It's kinda like there's a certain line that I don't want to cross, and that link just showed me where the line is.

I dunno. I'm starting to get the urge to really want all of the DB/Z/GT movies. Except for the first 3 DBZ movies, I'm aiming for the Pioneer versions: they're cheaper if you search for them on Amazon :D . Other than that, I only need the final two of the Viz DBZ manga and I'm done. Also, I'm aiming for the last kanzenban volume just for the extra chapter and because... c'mon, it's the FINAL KANZENBAN! If I ever go to New York, I'm gonna go to that one store that EX mentioned in the trip-themed podcast ep. (six bucks per kanzenban?! I'm there!!)